Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
shorti3

PERIORAL DERMATITIS or maybe even Seborrheic dermatitis

Hi... i'm hoping that everyone who is suffering from Perioral Dermatitis can post here... maybe we can figure out together what is affecting us by first figuring out what is something that we all have in common... maybe you can answer a few of my question:

1. were you stressed before you got it?

2. did you use any steroid creams or corticosteroid creams before you got this?

3. do you have low iron? or did you at any point?

4. did you apply toothpaste to your pimples at any point before you got this?

5. is your scalp itchy? itchy dry eyes? itchy ears and nose?

6. how long have you had it for?

7. what is your diet like? do you eat a lot of dairy? meat? etc?

8. what moisturizing cream and/or soap do you use for your face?

Hi, I got this around December - Christmas time - I saw one dr who said it was impetigo, and put me on bactroban and doxy for 2 weeks. It came back and when I found the right doc, he saw it was perioral. I was presribed metrogel topical and eyrthromyicin for a month as he says that it takes a long time for it to go away. Previously a few weeks before I was on antibiotics for strep, and this is why they say it came on. I am going to answer your questions below and then you can look at my sig as to what I am using to keep it away. However, the doc said now that I have to deal with this probably forever, as it is seasonal, it goes away in the summer, comes back in the winter. Let me tell you, I was pretty pissed about it and he was pretty cool in talking to me about it as his daughter gets it too, so he understood what I was going through.

Hi... i'm hoping that everyone who is suffering from Perioral Dermatitis can post here... maybe we can figure out together what is affecting us by first figuring out what is something that we all have in common... maybe you can answer a few of my question:

1. were you stressed before you got it? - Yes, I usually am. I am a mom of 3 kids, have a sales job, etc., etc.

2. did you use any steroid creams or corticosteroid creams before you got this? No, but I was putting on different things to make the whiteheads go away since I didn't know what it was.

3. do you have low iron? or did you at any point? Not that I was aware - but it is possible as I have been prone to it in the past.

4. did you apply toothpaste to your pimples at any point before you got this? No, but how I brush my teeth, I find that I get it on one side of my mouth. I can no longer use regular toothpaste. I have to use stuff without sodium lauryl and sodium laureth sulfate. Usually bought at an organic store.

5. is your scalp itchy? itchy dry eyes? itchy ears and nose? - No but you may have an allergy or something right now and suggest taking zyrtec/claritin and using dandruff shampoo. Also, it can spread up around your nose and to your forehead, take a look online at some of the extreme cases.

6. how long have you had it for? since Dec 2007, but if I think back, I may have had small cases of it in the past.

7. what is your diet like? do you eat a lot of dairy? meat? etc? No, I am non-red meat eating person. Chicken, fish, turkey for me. I don't eat alot of dairy, just cream in my coffee. Otherwise I stay away from that due to sodium content.

8. what moisturizing cream and/or soap do you use for your face? See my sig, I still put a dab of metrogel around my mouth daily. I find if I stop that I start to get the little pop ups. I stopped the antibiotic after 30 days.

Feel free to pm me if you want. Good luck to you.

thnx for your answer dawn...

i'll answer my own questions now:

1. were you stressed before you got it? .......yes

2. did you use any steroid creams or corticosteroid creams before you got this? .......yea i was using elocom on my face mixed with some other pimple cream because they kept my face clear

3. do you have low iron? or did you at any point? ............yes i did

4. did you apply toothpaste to your pimples at any point before you got this?........yes

5. is your scalp itchy? itchy dry eyes? itchy ears and nose?........ my are very and i think i have seborreic dermatitis now...

6. how long have you had it for?......... for this past month. i got it once before but it was so little that i didn't even bother with it and it went away....

7. what is your diet like? do you eat a lot of dairy? meat? etc?.......i eat alot of bread and dairy...can't live without my cheese

8. what moisturizing cream and/or soap do you use for your face? i use nivea... and a soap from clinique

also feel free to add anything else that you think might be the cause of this....

they gave me this corticosteoid cream called denoside and it did not help... i read online that corticosteroid creams can cause perioral dermatitis... and i remember i use to use one along with a pimple cream to keep my skin clear before i got this stupid dermatitis... what's helping me right now is aloe vera... i think i have sebirrheic tho because my scalp, eyes, nose and ears are really itchy...

Do you have tiny little whitehead like stuff that is like whiteheads but not really? Is it around your mouth, chin? If so, you really need to have that checked and get to a dr that will give you oral and topical help. I let it go too long and takes a while to get better and I do have a little scarring from it. I am not an expert, but have read on the org that using a cortisone type cream on your skin for too long is not good- and if a dr prescribed that sort of treatment makes me question what the heck they are doing.

If it is seb dem, there is alot of stuff in this forum that will help you. Alot of folks out there know what works for them and I am sure they can guide you in the right direction. Good luck.

thnx... i'm planning on going to the dermatologist tomorrow because it has gotten worse =( ... i don't have no white stuff... it's just red and bumpy and really itchy... it's on my forehead, around my mouth and under my eyes... this really sucks, and i feel like crap... what does yours look like?

it's gone for me but it was kind of like that, mostly around the mouth. Please let me know what they tell you.

yours is gone? lucky you! that's good

i will be going to the dermatologist on monday... she's not in until next week... i'm also going to see a doctor to see what he says... i'll let you know what happens.

so what helped you??? and what was yours like exactly???

it's gone but not forever, it will come back from what I have been told, It is seasonal.

I am using metrogel on my skin - I used erythromycin - oral antibiotic for a month.

Stop using toothpaste that has sls in.

Mine was raised red,rough area with whitehead like pimples, but more yellow. It started on one side of mouth to chin and worked its way around til I got on meds. It kind of looked like some of the pictures on the internet.

You may not want to wait until Monday and see what a dr says, if you feel bad too. If it is seb derm, I would think they would know, if not, you can get on antibiotics. Don't wait.

yea i couldn't wait... i went to the hospital today and they gave me an appointment with a dermatologist which i also got to see today...he told me that it was either PD or an allergic reaction to a product... he gave me a prescription for nizoral (Clindamycin) cream and Tetracyclineand pills... hopefully this will help... if not i'll try what you mentioned... i also got a new toothpaste just in case... i was wondering, what products did you use on your lips before you got this? the dermatologist said that some people can get this if they use blistex... but who knows...

yea i couldn't wait... i went to the hospital today and they gave me an appointment with a dermatologist which i also got to see today...he told me that it was either PD or an allergic reaction to a product... he gave me a prescription for nizoral (Clindamycin) cream and Tetracyclineand pills... hopefully this will help... if not i'll try what you mentioned... i also got a new toothpaste just in case... i was wondering, what products did you use on your lips before you got this? the dermatologist said that some people can get this if they use blistex... but who knows...

hey dawn... a lot of weird things happened to my skin over the past few weeks... first it was POD, then it changed a lot... it started to look like an allergic reaction... it started to burn like crazy and my eyes and lips were swollen...i went to the dermatologist about a week ago.. i've been on prednisone pills.. first she told me it was POD... but then it turned into an allergic reaction or something... now i only have a little bit of redness around my nose but barely noticeable... and my old skin is flaking off and new one is underneath. I prayed to God, and it seriously looks like a miracle has happened on my skin... i hope your skin continues to be clear.

Hey Shorti3, does yours look anything like the pics from this thread?

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2201130

Just want to see if we are on the same page before I start going on about stuff.

hey dawn... a lot of weird things happened to my skin over the past few weeks... first it was POD, then it changed a lot... it started to look like an allergic reaction... it started to burn like crazy and my eyes and lips were swollen...i went to the dermatologist about a week ago.. i've been on prednisone pills.. first she told me it was POD... but then it turned into an allergic reaction or something... now i only have a little bit of redness around my nose but barely noticeable... and my old skin is flaking off and new one is underneath. I prayed to God, and it seriously looks like a miracle has happened on my skin... i hope your skin continues to be clear.

Hey Shorti3, does yours look anything like the pics from this thread?

http://www.acne.org/messageboard/index.php...p;#entry2201130

Just want to see if we are on the same page before I start going on about stuff.

hey justplainsickofit... about your question, yea it did look like that but i also had bumps on some parts too

To have for 14 months is not good, have you seen a doctor? What did they say? You can't IMHO diag this yourself, you need to see someone if you haven't. If it is POD, then I would ask them for metrogel and an 2 month supply of an antibiotic, at least.

You need to consider if you haven't getting away from Toothpaste or any topicals that have sodium lauryl or laureth sulfate. JASON brands work best for me. AS soon as I use other tp's, I get little bumps again.

If it isn't that, it may be fungal or something too. I don't know.

It seems like everyone's looks different, mine was very leathery and alot of whitehead bumps.

Please keep me posted.

Thanks for response.

Yea I have a lot of whitehead bumps (only visible when skin is stretched) that can't be squeezed, not sure about leathery, but definitely a different texture to my skin.

I've seen dermatologist twice. Said it was some post-inflammatory acne. First visit i got Differin, second visit I got hydrocortisone ointment (which is really pathetic seeing how applying steroid to mouth region can cause perioral derm) and the stuff he gave me both times has failed to work and I stopped going to him.

I only heard about Perioral derm about 1 month+ ago, so I went to see my GP and suggested this to him. He said "it could be" and prescribe me doxycycline for 6 weeks (i'm currently on week 5 now). I also asked for a topical treatment at the time but he said just take the antibiotics and see how it goes.

So yea, week 5 now and really no VAST improvement, but seems to be less pigmented than before.

It's not fungal. Unlikely to be my toothpaste as I'm not a messy brusher and never ever let the foam get out that far.

Is metrogel over the counter? What about Azelaic acid cream?

As I look real close at your pics I would say you do have something very similiar to what I have had. I am better now, but get little pop ups here and there. I was lucky because I was first diag with impetigo and short dose of doxy and a topical. Then I got to my gp and his daughter had it and he knew exactly what it was. He said the erythromycin helps the best and he gave me several refills as he indicated that it can take a while for it to go away. The topical just gave it a boost. I would ask him to let you try it for a few weeks to see if it can help you.

I must tell you that even though I cleared up, it took a while for the redness and darkness to get lighter and to heal, I was impatient too, you have been dealing with for 14 months, 5 weeks my not cut it. Your skin has been damaged. The white bumps tthat you can see when you stretch your skin are no longer there for me, but I think some of that is due to my acne being cleared. I have never used azelaic acid, but using Mandelic Acid and think that has made a difference in that area.

I apply the metrogel around my mouth first, let sit and then do the MA all over my face.

I don't think that the toothpaste thing has anything to do with getting it all over your face, but it just has stuff in it that can cause you to have a breakout or reaction. I strongly recc it.

Good luck, I hope you get better soon, I know what it feels like, and I know what you are going through.

So you made the switch from Doxy to Erythromycin? Why is that? Shouldn't they do the same thing (both are antibiotics) How many refills did you get (how long were you on it)?

I just got back from the pharmacy and they say they don't have anything called metrogel. Maybe I can't get it here in New Zealand. I saw the Azelaic acid cream/gel on the shelf and was tempted to buy it but I didn't want to put something that may be too strong for me on my face (apparently its 20% acid or something...)

Also is mandelic acid a cream or something? Where do you get it?

I'm thinking of putting up some better quality and more recent pictures here when I get the time.

The first doc only put me on doxy for 10 days as he thought it was impetigo. My gp said it was perioral and gave me a copied pages out of his book about it. It says on this and another website to stay away from flouride for hard to cure cases. He gave me the erythromycin and I was on it for over 30 days - 500 mg twice a day. Then I decreased the dose on my own to get off it. I have 2 more refills if I need it.

Metrogel is the brand name - metronidazole is maybe what the pharmacy has. For the antiobiotics, it says to take for 3-12 weeks, and decrease the dose. I wish I could copy this and send it to you somehow.

It says alot of times the mistake it for sebderm and the cortisone creams they prescribe make it even worse.

Sorry, I didn't know you were in New Zealand.

Again, I don't know anything about Azelaic acid - I would do your research if you don't go to a dr to help you and put anyting on your skin that is already compromised - http://www.drugs.com/mtm/azelaic-acid-topical.html. It does have antibacterial properties, that may help you.

MA - look at nucelle.com - to learn about it or skincarerx.com - Nucelle is a brand that alot of us use. There are other brands, I don't know what you may be able to get there.

Keep on taking your antibiotics, until you are done, if they start to pop up, try to get back to the dr, with it being so long that you have had it, you may need to take antibiotics longer, or try another antibiotic or demand a topical.

Wow thanks for that Dawn. Man do you have a good GP or what? Even took time to copy pages out of books...

And I think perhaps I need to up my game. Currently I'm only taking Doxy 100mg once per day.

Oh so Nucelle is a brand of mandellc acid. Having had the word tossed around so much in this forum I actually thought Nucelle was a slightly less strong Accutane or something haha, but thanks for clearing that up. So did you buy the serum only or a complete kit/system? And could you specify which ones? It's good that they ship internationally.

I noticed that using BP on this area (around the mouth) irritates it and makes it itch (usually don't itch). Nucelle products don't have any BP does it? (there's nothing about the full contents on the website). Plus, is it okay for a 19 yr-old to be using an anti-wrinkle treatment system?

Thanks again, and hope to hear from you soon!

MA is the most gentle thing out there- look at getting the 10% solution, but like you mentioned, you have access to the azaelic acid and from the website, it has good results with this dermatitis, so if you want to consider trying, I would!

When I was trying everything possible to help my pod, not knowing it was more than acne, I tried everything! I am sure it irritated it more. BP didn't help, I know that!

But if you do buy a MA, ok to be using this serum - because it does a good job on acne too!

Yes my gp was great, I am lucky I found him. Unfortunately, this is 90% of the problem in the world, thinking that the doc knows best, or knows anything! They usually don't. I can see on the org how many times things were diag wrong or missed or the derm/dr just didn't do what they should to help people.

I would say that from what I read, you do need to be taking a higher dosage, especially if you are still breaking out. Like the above link said, it takes some a long time to heal.

Keep me posted!

hey guys, sorry i haven't posted in a while... how have you guys been doing??? ... things on my side are better...my allergic reaction is Finally gone... i don't know what i reacted to... my POD is better but i still have a little bit of redness around my mouth... i still am trying to get rid of it because i'm worried that it might flare up... i think what caused it for me was that i used steroid creams on my face before...

so i got a prescription for the metrogel... it's kind of expensive... how much did it cost you dawn? i'm also thinking of trying either Doxycycline, Minocycline or Erythromycin... probably erythromycin since you said it helped you...

so dawn, how long did you deal with this for? what are all the products/pills that you tried for it? and another question about the metrogel... when you started using it, how long did it take for you to start seeing results???

justplainsickofit what else have you tried besides the doxy during the 14 months?

when you guys have time maybe you want to look at these sites...

this site has some cases and what they used to treat it:

http://dermatlas.med.jhmi.edu/derm/result.cfm?Diagnosis=93

this one is just pics of what it looks like:

http://www.dermnet.com/thumbnailIndex.cfm?...0&numcols=0

i've also been on vitamin B pills... they are suppose to be good for your skin... especially vitamins b2 and b3 which are suppose to help prevent dermatitis... vitamin b deficiency can also cause anemia, and some cases of POD have been linked to anemia... maybe you guys want to give them a shot... i started taking them a few weeks ago... i don't know if it was that, but a few days after i started taking them, that's when my skin started to get better...

~hope you guys are good, keep me posted~