Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
skmrprsn

Antibiotics or Accutane

I have been suffering from somewhat mild acne (I have my flair ups once in a while) for about 2-3 years. I went to two different dermatologists and have been prescribed differin, clindamyacin, retin-a, retin-a micro, tetracycline and zania. The only thing that has done anything for my skin has been tetracycline, but I dont like taking it for two reasons: 1) i dont feel comfortable taking an antibiotic for a long period of time and 2) once i get off of it, my acne immediately starts again. I have a dermatologist appointment coming up on the 28th and was wondering if I should even dare/consider asking the dermatologist about accutane. I know everyone on here has very strong opinions on accutane, but from what I have read it can be prescribed to those with mild acne that is unresponsive to other treatments. I was wondering if anyone has had any experience similar to mine and what they did. I would like to stay on antibiotics if I can, but if my derm would prescribe me accutane I would take it in a heartbeat. Let me know what you all think. Thanks!

Accutane is the only cure. anti-biotics gave me folliculitis - it made me beg for my acne back, it's that bad. Got in under control now, but it ruined a good portion of my life. I won't go near anti-biotics at all now.

If I feel ill, I eat raw garlic, it kills just about every form of bacteria, virus, fungus, parasite etc... But that's another story.

Go for the accutane, anti-biotics are bad news. I would rather deal with the side-effects of accutane than anti-biotics.