Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Acne_victim

Has anyone had chemical peels ??

Hi i have very uneven skin and acne scarring but not to deep.I was wondering if anyone has had chemical peels and how well they work at mild /uneven skin.Kind of like orange peel skin in a way with large pores that are rather deep.I am scared to do this but i am curious to know it they are pretty harmless or if they carry a large risk.Im to scared to have Laser done as my skin is very senstive.Please let me know your good and bad experiences it would be very appreciated.Shannon

I've had glycolic (30%) and lactic (50%) peels and still do them every 2 weeks or so - they are very good for shallow scarring and red marks.

I guess these are the lightest chemical peels you can use - some derms perform them, but they are cheap to do at home and there is no down time. You may get some flakinees, but as long as you follow the instructions carefully, you should find that they will not irritate you.

You need maybe 3-4 before seeing some good effects, but they are impressive for the cost. I get mine from www.homepeels.com and then follow with copper peptides and a moisteriser (I use Jojoba oil)

I also use the tape method daily to remove more flakiness and all of that means that I have extremely smooth skin!!

None of the above will help with deeper scars, maybe make them flatten out a bit, but they definately help with shallow scarring, orange peel effect and red marks and pigmentation.

yes, they will help with those!!

But if you just want to work on blackheads - every night, rub into your skin - pure, cold pressed, extra virgin olive oil - they dissolve blackheads - and will not make you break out.

Maya:

So is there anyway to help to get rid of deeper scars?I mean ice-pick scars or depressed scars?

garkee2003 :roll:

garkee83

Glycolic/lactic acid peels will not help with depressed scars or picks unfortunately. I have that type of scarring too and I think skin needling/subcision/fillers are probaby the most effective. Check out the following thread, it covers most of these procedures and hopefully you will find something that helps you here.

http://acne.org/messageboard/viewtopic.php?t=354

Nothing wrong with your grammar! :)

Maya

Maya,

I was considering to go for microdermabrasion. Will it help to diminish my scars? Does our insurance cover it?

thank you,

garkee2003

garkee

I had 6 sessions of crystal clear microdermabrasion last year - a machine with fine crystals was used to abrade my skin lightly - it really did nothing for my skin! It may have helped with some red marks but I can't even be too sure about that. Also, it was painful and a couple of times, the girl doing this must have gone over the same area too far and I was left with waht looked like scratch marks for several days.

To be honest, it was a waste of money for me, it definately didn't help with pits or indents.

Hey garkee - just noticed you are from Malaysia :) I was born there!! In K.L.

Maya,

O..you were borned in K.L. Kuala Lumpur is a wonderful metrapolitan. I was from another state in Malaysia - Kota Bharu, Kelantan (K.B ).

I have e-mailed several dermatologists and they informed me that microdermabrasion or laser surfacing will help my condition. As you said that crystal clear microdermabrasion didn't work for you, now, I was in dilemma. How much it cost for per microdermabrasion treatment?

You said that microdermabrasion didn't work for you. Why?Any reason? I used to know that when you have performed microdermabrasion, your skin will be slightly reddish. So, you couldn't apply any acne medication and expose urself to sunlight for about 10days. In additional, you need 5 - 6 treatments for perfect skin. The correspondent manager told me that patients will see immediate result after the treatment. How about your condition? is it painful for yuor skin? Did microdermabrasion worsen your condition or aggravate your acne?

Thank you,

Well, I didn't get the microdermabrasion done with a derm, but at a beauty clinic - it cost me around £40 per treatment. Each session lasted around 10 minutes, followed by som cooling mask. (I don't know how many Malaysian ringit that is.) There was no down time - as in, I could apply makeup the same day, so maybe the microderm stuff that the derms you have contacted about this is more powerful.

At the time I had microdermabrasion, I also had some active acne - it made my acne worse, I suffered breakouts because of this - the beautician said that it was safe with active acne, but later i read that microdermabrasion should not be used with acne!! See, the lies!!

It was only slightly painful, but not overly so.

Maya:

Did you notice any significant or tremendous result after you performed the microdermabrasion. I really afraid someone especially the beautician to lie to me as we have only one face and if they simply said something in order to convince us to perform their microdermabrasion, I rather find another solution ( if it's available ).

I have red and deep scars on my face due to post acne and I wonder what they called this kind of scars as...depressed?ice-picks? I have them on both of my cheek( near my mouth ) and beside my eye.

Will retinol and glycolic acid help if I use them in longer period?

thank you,

garke2003 :roll:

garkee

I replied to you on your personal log. :)

I think glycolic and retinol will help with sahllow scarring, but for deeper scars, you need something more invasive - like skin needling, subcision, fillers.

Depressed scars are indented, Ice picks are like holes and normally sharp/zagged on the edges.

Maya,

How about using Rosehip oil with 15,000IU of vitamin E. Will vitamin E heal scars? Some of them claimed it will~

I think i have moderate acne and tend to have more break outs during PMS. I don't really have severe scars but patches of redness over my face. Been on a course of six acid peels recently and it did help to lighten some old scars and clear up my skin a little. I could only be happy for two weeks during the course of the peel as nodules started to show up again during PMS. I am wondering if i should consulf a derma to go on medication. Feeling depressed.....

garkee - Rosehip oil did nothing for me, although a few people have liked it.

Depressedgirl - since your acne seem hormonal and linked to the time of the month, you might want to speak to your doc about birth control pills that balance your hormonal cycle. That's an option to explore. Hey, there is always a solution, sometimes it takes some detective work though to find the right solution for you.

I used Vitamin E for 5 months. It made my scar look subtle and soft while i was using it but it did nothing to build up collagen or repair any damage.

I have made some research over the internet and I discovered that many vitamin E users claimed that vitamin E will just make their scars to appear SOFTER and SMOOTHER but not dissapear.

I used to know that people with acne skin shouldn't use oil, then why are they using rosehip oil on their skin? Does it aggravate acne?

Hey, Maya, I heard one of my friend, a guy, he has had severe acne last time. He told me that he used hydrogen peroxide and cloroethanol to cleanse his face. Well, his face is OK now, not so bad as last time and the most crucial thing is, his acne scars were hard to notice.

So, hydrogen Peroxide?I used to know that H²O² will release unstable oxygen to kill anaerobic P.acne bacterias.

garkee - about oils - some oils are bad, some are good!

Rose hip, jojoba and olive oil are all good. Jojoba and Olive oil will balance oily skin. Rose hip oil is full of Vit C and is meant to help with scarring.

Don't know much about hydrogen peroxide though, although I have heard others use it as a spot treament..

Maya,

I have heard about some members of this messageboard tend to use organic lemon juice to get rid of acne scars. They just applied it to their face directly, you could also see photos about lemon juice usage at acne.org/gallery . I would like to ask that how you manage to control the pH of the lemon juice each time you used? I used to know that pH is so important when we intend to have a peel on our skin.

Well, Maya, I will consider whether I would go for microdermabrasion or not . Anyway, the main concern for me would be the cost of the treatment. I was so afraid that I would comsume bread only as my dinner ~..haha

thank you for your courtesy,

sincerely,