Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
reg254

how to prevent redmark

How do you prevent from getting a redmark from a whitehead that has formed already and not been popped?

Just leave it alone, try spot treating it with a thick layer of BP, or try spot treat it with a Salicylic Acid solution or try applying a tea tree cream to the spot. Check out my last post, pretty interesting stuff, it might help you.

preventing redmarks is hard to do, if not impossible.

because redmarks are a buildup of red blood cells, ive entertained the thought of squeezing a pimple until all of the fluid and blood is dispensed on the theory that you can squeeze out at least some of the excess red blood cells. of course since you just squeezed it and now have an open wound, red blood cells will again travel to the injury site to repair the open wound, so i guess its kind of a moot point.

preventing redmarks is hard to do, if not impossible.

because redmarks are a buildup of red blood cells, ive entertained the thought of squeezing a pimple until all of the fluid and blood is dispensed on the theory that you can squeeze out at least some of the excess red blood cells. of course since you just squeezed it and now have an open wound, red blood cells will again travel to the injury site to repair the open wound, so i guess its kind of a moot point.

Yes I think this is very true. I think most non inflamed whiteheads generally won't leave red marks. It is where an infection is involved red blood cells tend to gather fast and cause the post acne redness. Preventing infection is the most important part. And to prevent infection you need to prevent its food (collection of dirt, oil, sebum all account).

This concludes that to prevent or minimise infection one should not lead to picking as this only deposits more dirt, oil and germs from the fingers. I have stopped picking and although some of my pimples/whiteheads do get infected they are generally smaller and leave little marks (I'm darker so I tend to hyperpigmentate anyway).

The only time one should pick is when there is a clear visible NON INFECTED (no redness) whitehead on the surface, and this should be done properly (written somewhere else on the forum). If its infected dont bother unless you want to aggregate the situation (sometimes you may be lucky and be able to resolve it but the risk for me outweigh the rewards and i've only realised this recently). It will generally resolve in a week or two. I know this sounds long but it takes the white blood cells sometime to kill off bacteria and it doesnt happen in a day or two from my experience. Onces the bacteria has been killed off a bump will still remain but this should dissapear via phagocytosis and a crust/scab might form (which will eventually peel of maybe a few more days leaving little to no redness). All in all for average size pimples this whole process could be two weeks (the first week the worst the second or second half of the week will be the scab formation and peeling).

Although this is the case for most regular sized pimples some pimples are far deeper (cysts) and some form of deep treatment is required (retinoids/ accutane/ antibiotics). With most regular sized ones topicals alone may be enough (with antiobiotics having a possible greater effect).

From my experience (I will stand to be corrected) what I am trying to say is that for most infected or even non infected pimples it is not worth picking. It woulod only lead to further infection and a greater post acne red mark or hyperpigmentation. If you don pick you may very well still have to suffer the post acne marks but they will generally be smaller, less chance of other pores being infected and also less deeper in the skin.