Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mrp1

Regimen worked for my acne, but now FLAT WARTS!!!

Background: I had a few minor flat warts around my face a year or so ago, and they went completely away on their own.

I started the regimen about 3 months ago and I'm very satisfied with my results so far. About a month ago my dermatologist put me on tetracycline (oral) and clindamycin (topical), just to completely clear me up so the regimen could keep me clear. I stopped tetracycline a couple weeks ago and it seems like right afterwards I got dozens of flat warts, worse than before. I've seen one article stating a possible positive correlation between tetracycline and flat warts but does anyone know what the deal is? Is this just a temporary flare-up because I just ended the oral antibiotics? Anyone experienced this or have any insight whatsoever?

Thanks in advance!

Did a little more research and found this:

"Two young women with multiple flat warts of the face are described in the present report. Both patients were receiving orally administered tetracycline for co-existing acne. After several months of tetracycline therapy, warts appeared and persisted in the first patient despite local treatment with peeling lotions, tretinoin, and liquid nitrogen. The acne completely disappeared. In the second patient, the warts were noted on the face only a month after tetracycline had been prescribed. Tetracycline was discontinued and most of the warts cleared within a week."

What a relief. Really didn't want to trade one skin problem for another.

The warts seem to have all disappeared, so I'm 99% sure it was just due to the tetracycline. Bear this in mind if you're considering a tetracycline prescription. I wouldn't recommend it