Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I never got an IB from antibiotics, I think it's the only thing I've tried that didn't give me an IB. My doctor told me IBs from antibiotics are rare and generally antibiotics start working right away in preventing new acne, although it can take a month or 2 to clear up current acne.

Did your doctor prescribe retin-A without any antibiotics at first? I thought they usually prescribed them in conjuction with one another so the antibiotics will counter the initial breakout.

After years of using over the counter stuff that never worked, I finally went to a doctor who prescribed minocycline. It worked for a couple months, then eventually it didn't any more. So, I got a referral to a dermatologist which is one of the best things I ever did. She prescribed Bactrim (twice a day at first), Duac for morning and Tazorac at night. It has worked wonders.

Thanks guys for your replies.

Anyway, I went to see the doc today and told him to prescribe my accutane. Since I don't have any nodular cystic acne, therefore my suggestion of taking antibiotics was turned down. He suggested to up the strength of the retinA to 0.1%.

But after much consideration, I have decided to get accutane to clear the red spots/acne that I have on face to prevent further scars.

Talking to the doctor definitely helps a lot. I'm hoping for the best! :drool:

I seem to be getting an IB from antibiotics and I've only been using them for a couple weeks.. getting body acne back that had cleared years ago :confused: but maybe that is how they work?