Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Paul25

Dark Chocolate

I remember reading threads about dark chocolate and some that is actually good for you. I miss chocolate and wouldnt mind trying it. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Eh, I would rather have acne than deprive myself of sweets because I love them too much. I say eat whatever chocolate you like and risk breaking out. There are a lot worse things you can do in life like smoking, drinking, etc.

Read the label and pick one with the highest amount of cacao vs lowest sugar. There are plenty of bars out there stating they have 60, 70, 80, 90% cacao. Turn them over and check the sugar content. Try Lindt.

I usually eat Ghiradelli's bittersweet chocolate chips which are for baking. They are very low sugar and I have them with a handful of raw almonds or other nuts. Also, cut a slit in the side of a banana and insert a few, then bake. It's a great fix for a desert craving. I use my toaster oven on the toast setting.

Also, try unsweetened cocoa. I use Hershey's Special Dark which is a blend of natural cocoa and dutch process. Dutch processing destroys some of the anti-oxidents, but it makes it dissolve better and makes a better drink. The blend is a compromise between anti-oxidents and a good drink. I'd love to get organic/fair market stuff, but haven't found a bled like this. Maybe someday I'll buy them separately and blend them myself. I put stevia in it at first, but gradually began to prefer it unsweetened.

Please, please, please try raw chocolate, it tastes absolutely amazing (much better than the crap you buy in the shops) and it hasn't got any rubbish in it i.e. sugar or milk. If you're in the UK rawchocshop.com has the best selection (raw intent is the best). It's pricey but once you try it there's no going back believe me :)

Oh and it's good for you - highest antioxidant rating plus feel good factor

Please, please, please try raw chocolate, it tastes absolutely amazing (much better than the crap you buy in the shops) and it hasn't got any rubbish in it i.e. sugar or milk. If you're in the UK rawchocshop.com has the best selection (raw intent is the best). It's pricey but once you try it there's no going back believe me :)

yeah, I have been eating the Lindt 85%, but recently found some brand called Cote D'or that is 86% and definitely has a better taste to it. Tastes much smoother than the Lindt. I think there is some soy lecithin in it to make it smoother like that. Anyway, chocolate is almost a staple food in my diet. Especially since I can't eat carbs/grains/sugar, I really don't worry about all the fat. Many new studies are finding that saturated fat isn't the health hazard it used to be, at least in the context of a proper diet.

They sound really good, but ouch to the price lol. Have you ever seen anything like this in any health shops before? I may try my local one and see if they have anything like it.

I work at an organic health food store. The best one I've found is called "Vivani"....it is 85% dark chocolate and only has 3 or 4 ingredients I believe, AND soy lecithin is not used as an emulisifier in it. Good luck finding that with an american brand. That's how you know if a company is keepin' it real or not. If they are using an emulsifier in it, then they are cheap bastards who do not care about the quality of the product.

My skin condition deteriorates one day after I eat chocolate. But dark chocolate is indeed not as bad as milk chocolate, no matter if cheap or dear. My experience directly contradicts several "neutral" articles on the internet, e.g.

Science of Chocolate. Other seem to confirm the suspicion that any combination of milk and sugar affects acne, e.g.

Cause Of Acne (worth keeping an eye on this one, although obviously still under construction). So, that speaks in favour of dark chocolate. However I prefer sweet stuff containing sesame now. Sesame plus sugar seem to have no negative effects for me.