Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
georgeisabamf

Just starting accutane

I know there are probably numerous posts with the same topic and whatnot but I have a few questions regaurding me starting accutane. Well I just got my first blood test done and soon enough I am HOPING to start my first doses of accutane (Which is iffy seeing as how I have a high amount of Bilirubin already in my liver, meaning one of my liver enzymes is high, therefor it may be too high to even start accutane, which I really hope isn't the case), I'm excited and hoping it works but I have a few questions.

Right now my face looks pretty bad, but it isn't mostly acne that much (although my chest and back are rather bad looking as far as acne is concerned) but my face is more red and scarred than covered with acne. It is really red from the looks of it. Will accutane help to clear up some of these red spots as well? Or is it just going to make my actual acne dissapear?

Also, I am going to try and prevent myself from becoming too dried out while taking accutane. Right now I use cetaphil cream on a daily basis for my face, and I plan on grabbing some aquaphor for my lips to prevent them from cracking. I also use a gentle-moisturizing bar cleanser right now made by aveeno that apparently is all natural and helps prevent dry skin... is there anything else I should grab to prevent myself from becoming really dry? I drink about 9 bottles of water a day so that should be good to go there, but is there anything else?

Also any tips or help would be greatly appreciated, because while I hear so many amazing things about accutane, I have also heard the downside. So any info. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

What are you using to make sure your hair doesn't dry out? Vaseline for inside the nose also works against dry or bloody noses. You can try using a humidifier at night as well. Are you taking any vitamins?

What are you using to make sure your hair doesn't dry out? Vaseline for inside the nose also works against dry or bloody noses. You can try using a humidifier at night as well. Are you taking any vitamins?

I don't use any vitamins at the moment... do you suggest any? I use conditioner right now in my hair that is all, is there anything else you suggest?

Feel free to look at my profile and check out my blog on 'Supplements'. I replied to a thread and broke down the items I am using.

I am taking quite a few supplements: folic acid, vitamins C, E, B complex, calcium with vitamin D, omega-3, and Genuine Health Perfect Skin. I am taking the vitamins as a means to stop / minimize side effects. More information can be found on this website:

http://www.knowledgeofhealth.com/pdfs/accutane_report.pdf

Please scroll down to pg. 15 where it says Part II: Overcoming the side effects of Accutane.

Added to the list of hair products that I have started to use (without paying a fortune on high priced items) I just bought Ultra Cholesterol conditioning treatment with panthenol and vitamin E derivitive by Dark and Lovely. I have only used it once so I can't tell you how effective it is. My hair hasn't dried out yet so I am trying to delay or inhibit the process. Let me know what you end up choosing!

Hi,

I have just started accutane 3 weeks ago and so far so good. My acne is mild to medrate on my chin. I wish I had done it earlier, but like so many others I was put off by hearing of all the nasty side effects. To date I have been pretty much ok. Good Luck with your course.

You might also need eye drops, especially if you use contacts. My eyes are actually dryer than my skin! Good luck with Accutane!