Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KuroDesu

Does it bother anyone else?

That those with acne scarring are treated the same way as old people with wrinkles who can't accept their aging?

We have doctors that will go to third world countries and fix peoples cleft lips for free..... but we can't do the same for people in our homeland with acne scarring?

I just don't think people who don't have scarring understand the psychological impact at all. Yes, we have been shown time and time again that you can look good with acne scarring. But if you look in the mirror and what you see bothers you, then you should get it taken care of, and since it is unfortunate luck and not a normal process of life [like aging] I don't think people should be charged so exorbitantly.

I don't think I'll ever need any kind of serious procedure because my scarring isn't very severe in the least, but if I'm bothered as much as I am, I can't imagine how some of you others feel. And it's lame.... especially with this economy, that we get charged out the ass for procedures so a doctor who skimped through school [which I can honestly say by how many "M.D.'s" give such advice to some of the patients on here] could buy another porsche and make more money than a REAL doctor [like an emergency room surgeon whose married to his job and doesn't just shoot lasers on peoples faces and has the weekends off] And I'm not talking about all doctors, theres some good cosmetic doctors out there, but it's still uncommon.

If I ever start ballin outta control like Tony Stark, I would definitely start a center that did cosmetic procedures for sufferers of acne scarring and trauma scarring ONLY for free. I think most cosmetic surgeons are making more than enough off rhinoplastys and old people. There is a severe imbalance between the upper class and the middle and lower class. Fuck them if they'd oppose it, they're rich enough.

Oh, and Happy Mother's Day people!

You can always find people who will be willing to meet your price range. That goes for pretty much anything and not just skin procedures. But you cannot expect the same level of quality.

If good skin is important enough to people, they should save up for it and make sacrifices in spending elsewhere. Procedures like fixing cleft lips can be simpler than fixing shitty skin. Where cosmetics are concerned medicine becomes a whole different ball game.

I feel the same way -- why the heck is it considered cosmetic surgery? It's not like we're trying to change something we were born with...we're trying to make it go back to the way it was -- we're "fixing" something. I'm not trying to make my boobs bigger or get a different nose!

it's VERY bothersome. i am so upset right now im going to cry. nobody sees whats in my head wlel, ok some friends do and they want to help me but my husband and my sister and mom all think i am crazy and that i have body dismorphic disorder or something...maybe they just love me too much to see my face the way it really is.

it's VERY bothersome. i am so upset right now im going to cry. nobody sees whats in my head wlel, ok some friends do and they want to help me but my husband and my sister and mom all think i am crazy and that i have body dismorphic disorder or something...maybe they just love me too much to see my face the way it really is.

That's exactly my case right now,,,my family dont get what I'm goin thru they don't understand wht it feels like to have scars maybe my sis does coz she has scarring too None of my friends ever said anything about my scarring .. But it really bothers me what makes it even harder is the fact that I'm surrounded by ppl with gorgeous skin not even one single scar not even that famous chicken pox scar on the forehead...I avoid certain lightings all the time I avoid goin on elevators I despise fluorescent lighting frm the bottom of my heart..my scarring really affect my life I don't feel normal

before severe acne scarring i was happy. Every single day when i wake i check my scars, when i'm in the bathroom i check my scars, in the car, brushing my teeth etc. There really needs to be an indepth study done on the psyc behind acne scarring. For the past few years my life literally has revolved around how my scars look, my treatments, my day to day routines, when i have the courage to go out and so on. I have spent all my savings on treatments and i feel like crying while reflecting. Exactly right it isnt some antiageing craze, we suffered from severe skin diseases and left with a ruined complexion. It's like telling a burns victim that their surgery was out of vain character. It was bad enough dealing with huge cysts for years but then to be left with chunks of skin missing from my face... It's a perfect market for money hungry 'MD's '

Woah. Don't even try saying anything about doctors going to impoverished countries to repair cleft lips and palates. I'm sorry, but a cleft lip isn't just a cosmetic issue, which is all that acne scars are.

Woah. Don't even try saying anything about doctors going to impoverished countries to repair cleft lips and palates. I'm sorry, but a cleft lip isn't just a cosmetic issue, which is all that acne scars are.

I don't believe acne scars are just cosmetic, it IS psychological which is why maybe some of us need counseling. If you have severe scars it is a disfigurement, and I do think severe cases should be covered by insurance. I can see where it would be hard to draw a line and maybe insurance providers can't cover the treatments for everyone mild and severe alike because we all know these procedures can go into the thousands. And then you are not even guaranteed results. I really do think people need to realize it is not just cosmetic though. When you don't feel normal, that is not just cosmetic.

Guest Timehealsall

LOL at acting like acne scars is just a cosmetic annoyance. I have seen plenty of acne scar sufferers look worse than burn victims... way worse

IT IS NOT COSMETIC. WHAT AN IGNORANT THING TO SAY! Go educate yourself or be quiet and don't waste our time responding to this topic!!!!!!!!

For all the other people...I understand what you are saying. It is VERY traumatic and changes your life forever.

I agree with the posts above acne scars are definitely not cosmetic !! I also believe it's very underrated .. How can someone as young as 18 or probably even younger accept their disfiguring scars act normal and move on with their lives ..

My scars are not severe I have small icepicks/boxcars on my cheeks and a few on my temple..the rest of my face is normal. They're very noticeable though in all lightings ..I'd say they're mild-moderate..I've never learned to live with them ..I've been to a psychologist a few weeks ago and it was a waste of time...she just didn't seem to get what I'm goin thru of course she wont she had perfect skin

Okay, calm down, children. What I was saying is that you can't compare children with cleft palates/lips to acne scars. And by saying that acne scars are just cosmetic, I mean they don't cause any other physiological problems. A cleft lip does cause other physiological problems. Acne scars don't.

Okay, so by the logic I'm seeing here... a woman could be severely depressed over being born extremely pale and blonde. Does this mean insurance should pay to send her to a tanning salon and to a hair salon?

I have scars, so you can't say I don't know where you're coming from. I just realize that it's not worth being so insanely upset over something like scars. I have a friend who was mauled by a dog and has a lot worse of scarring, but she doesn't let it get in the way of her happiness.

And really? Go educate myself on what? On what a cosmetic issue is?... because by definition acne scars are just cosmetic problems. They may lead to a drop in self confidence, but I've taken enough psychology to know that someone that's healthy mentally in the first place wouldn't be so crushed by something as insignificant as scars.

Maybe your scars are insignificant to you but what about those who have SEVERE disfiguring scars ? Do you really think they lead normal happy lives? I don't think so, and yes severe scarring can cause major psychological issues. Acne scars are both physical AND psychological long term problems. Most acne scar sufferers (I'm referring to serious scarring not the 3 or 4 chicken pox scars) have extremely low self esteem, they avoid eye contact and social events, they isolate themselves. It's always there in the back of their head. Do you call that normal? Maybe you have few mild barely noticeable scars and you learned to live with them but what about the rest of us with serious scars?

Watch this maybe you'll sympathize with the guy..that's what I call severe scarring . I don't think anyone would lead a normal healthy happy life with scars like that

Okay. I'll say it again in case you missed it....

By saying that acne scars are just cosmetic, I mean they don't cause any other physiological problems.

I agree with AcneSlayer.......... but this is just a big silly semantics debate. By saying that acne scarring is a "cosmetic" issue doesn't degrade it into unimportance. Obviously this cosmetic issue is emotionally distressing to a lot of people.

So yeah. You may be frustrated at your scars but don't take it out on AcneSlayer. She means no harm. lol.

I agree with AcneSlayer.......... but this is just a big silly semantics debate. By saying that acne scarring is a "cosmetic" issue doesn't degrade it into unimportance. Obviously this cosmetic issue is emotionally distressing to a lot of people.

So yeah. You may be frustrated at your scars but don't take it out on AcneSlayer. She means no harm. lol.

Thanks man, I really don't mean any harm. You'll know it when I mean harm. :evil:

Guest Timehealsall

LMFAO.

I guarantee you most severe acne scar sufferers would give a limb just to have normal skin.

Cosmetic issue MY ASS

LMFAO.

I guarantee you most severe acne scar sufferers would give a limb just to have normal skin.

Cosmetic issue MY ASS

That's a bit extreme, don't you think?

I don't mean any offense by this, but seriously. No mentally healthy person would choose to lose a limb in return for "normal" skin.

Guest Timehealsall
LMFAO.

Cosmetic issue MY ASS

I don't mean any offense by this, but seriously. No mentally healthy person would choose to lose a limb in return for "normal" skin.

ok maybe that was a little extreme.

How about, rather going to extreme pain/hell (maybe cancer) for 2 years instead of having scarring.

LMFAO.

Cosmetic issue MY ASS

ok maybe that was a little extreme.

How about, rather going to extreme pain/hell (maybe cancer) for 2 years instead of having scarring.

Cancer? I wouldn't trade my scars for cancer. Anyone who would needs some mental help. No offense by that--I'm being completely serious. :confused:

i don't know know why its so difficult for people to realise that acne+scars+pigmentation etc will all pass..i know acne has fucked up my life big time..and i wish i never had..but life goes on..we gotta live this life in the best way we can..even people with cancer/AIDS/Acute Diabetes etc live on..they try to live and enjoy as much happiness and give as much happiness as they can to their loved ones...and i betcha nobody would ever trade this pain for another one..when you are suffering it's always painful..living hell..

And lemme add one more thing, the more you live..the more you'll learn..you'll learn to care and love..you'll get over the need to obsess over the superfluous..there is more to life..i'm still trying to get over..learning to live with this shit..

AcneSlayer you are one hell of an optimist..we need people like you here.Respect!Do encourage us sometimes..:D

Okay, so by the logic I'm seeing here... a woman could be severely depressed over being born extremely pale and blonde. Does this mean insurance should pay to send her to a tanning salon and to a hair salon?

Acne Slayer, I completely agree with you about the comparison between cleft palate's and acne scarring - its not the same at all.

However, I think your comparisons are not the same either.

I think one of the big mind f***'s with acne scarring is that you were not born with it. Its not something you can say "I was born this way" and you dont know any different - hence your example of being born pale and blonde is not very helpful to the acne scars debate - No one was born with acne scarring.

Someone used the example it is like burn victims wanting to "fix" their skin after an accident. I actually completely agree with this analogy. And it is funny, because our sympathies would lie with a burn victim before an acne scar victim. You dont see acne scarred people on chat shows like you do burn victims talking about how psychologically damaged they are and how their surgery has changed their life etc etc. Acne scar victims just dont illicit the same sympathies.

Why? to be honest I still think in our society people still look at acne sufferers like its their own fault they have acne. We have all heard it "why dont you wash your face?" "why dont you see someone about that?" it is a terrible misconception. And funnily enough, while acne is out of our control, in a lot (NOT ALL) of ADULT burn victim cases it was the persons own fault (spilt boiling water on themselves, playing with fire etc...)

We are not trying to change something we were born with, such as breast implants, we are trying to get back something that was taken from us, our healthy skin.

P.S when I am talking about scarring and acne I am talking about moderate to severe. I am talking about the type of scarring and acne that strangers will comment on. I sure as f*** have been there and only those who have can surely comment on this.

P.P.S @ ialways4getmypassword - "i don't know know why its so difficult for people to realise that acne+scars+pigmentation etc will all pass" This is the perfect example of my comment above. Severe acne can take years to overcome. Severe scarring can never be overcome. Only improved upon with a lot of time, effort and money. I find your comment insulting. Most defintley minor acne and scarring will pass, I agree with you but we are not discussing that.

P.P.P.S By saying all of this I am in no way sympathetic to the comments about cancer, losing a limb etc. I find them insulting too! :wacko: I think society needs to acknowledge what a terrible disease both physically and mentally acne/scarring is, but we also shouldnt forget that it is physiologically not life threatening.

Love Kate