Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hallie

Adult Acne and Dan's Regimen?

I am a 26 year old female that has been battling acne for the last 3-4 years. I have the cystic kind that is only a problem on my cheeks and jawline everywhere else is completely clear. The acne can be uncomfortable to quite painful at times and is a constant issue for me in my everyday life. I have been able to go a few months in the fall to winter with relatively clear skin and then as soon as spring hits it is full blow again! I have tried the antibiotics along with topical prescription creams and they seem to be somewhat helpful but do not ever really fix the problem. I do notice that my skin gets much worse with stress and flares up during my period.

It has been a battle to say the least- last year before my wedding I was desperate but nothing was working one day my derm gave me at least 12 cortisone injections but to no avail. I have refused to go on accutane, my husband and I hope to have a baby within the next few years and as troubling as this is for me I do not want to risk my mental/physical health and could not imagine doing that to our child. I live a very healthy lifestyle, eat well, drink plenty of water, exercise regularly, don't smoke .... on and on.

I recently found this site and am thinking I will go out today and try the BP and the simple face soaps and moisturizer... fingers crossed!

I have been using: Mario Badescu, Acne Facial Cleanser and Special Cucumber Lotion (toner) along with Aveda Sensitive Skin moisturizer twice a day and in the evening: Prescription BenzaClin

I figured I would start with the small tube of BP that Neutrogena does and the Cetaphil or Basis Soap, what I can pick up form the drugstore down the street and depending on how it works ordering Dan's products online.

If anyone has been in a similar situation and has any advice please share with me!

I am thinking I may document the progress with pictures, so if it works I can really and truly see the difference and anyone else in the same boat can have hope as well. All the success stories do seem to give the chance of hope.

Wish me luck!!

IMO, for cystic acne, your best shot is to go for Accutane. I know that isn't an option for you now, but it does really seem to help with cystic acne. Unfortunately, I had to do about two rounds of regular dose Accutane and 2 low-does rounds, and while it helped with the cysts, it didn't do much for the other stuff in the long run. I had to tweek my BCP and went on spironolactone in my mid/late 20's and that really got it all under control. I eventually switched to Yasmin and that continued to keep me clear until I went of BC to get pregnant with my son. As it is, I'm trying to get pregnant again and I'm pretty limited as to what I can do for my acne, so I started Proactiv, which has helped quite a bit. I think it has more to do with the 2.5% BP in it, so I just ordered Dan's Regimen and will be transitioning to that as I run out of my Proactive stuff. Hope you find my rambling somewhat helpful, and good luck to you! Oh- and by the way- I think there is a sub-forum on here that is just about cystic acne, so you can also check that out and see what they think. Good luck to you!