Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
viscous

scalp acne?

Hi,

Is Acne Necrotica Miliaris (commonly called folliculitis by dermatologists) a form of "acne" in the scientific sense of the word? If no then how is it possible that my scalp folliculitis went away while I was on accutane and re-appeared after stopping accutane, since accutane only alleviates acne symptoms? Acne Necrotica destroys the hair follicles via necrosis. I dont know what I should do. I dont know how I got this cursed disease ...

According to this article on DermNet NZ, isotretinoin (accutane) is one of the listed treatments for this folliculitis.

It looks like another one of those mysterious itchy acne-like conditions. I see mites (demodex) are possibly to blame. I am not sure how demodex can be treated if it is in the hair. It sort of rules out applying a cream. If you have a good doctor, try asking for ivermectin in tablet form. It kills mites in the skin amongst other organisms. Only one dose is needed to see if it works.

According to this article on DermNet NZ, isotretinoin (accutane) is one of the listed treatments for this folliculitis.

It looks like another one of those mysterious itchy acne-like conditions. I see mites (demodex) are possibly to blame. I am not sure how demodex can be treated if it is in the hair. It sort of rules out applying a cream. If you have a good doctor, try asking for ivermectin in tablet form. It kills mites in the skin amongst other organisms. Only one dose is needed to see if it works.

Thank you. My acne disappears when I take tetracycline which kills the bacteria. Do you still think that mites might have a role? My fathers scalp is very oily and he has lost hair but he did no develop acne... Maybe his pore sizes are too big to get blocked ....

The effectiveness of antibiotics does not rule out mites. Antibiotics are used to treat acne rosacea, but the mode of action is unknown. Some theorize the antibiotics have an anti-inflammatory effect. Another theory showed mites in the skin carried the bacteria Bacillus oleronius, which was treated by the antibiotics.

I do not know if mites have a role in your acne. It was listed on that web page as one of the possible causes.

I am testing an anti-mite treatment at the moment. So mites are on my mind. :)