Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had a consultation with a Dr. Murad Alam last year, his credentials are very impressive. He practices medicine at the medical center of Northwestern Univ. in Chicago. Anyway my point is I asked him about scar revision therapies and here is what he had to say.

- the gold standard for scar revision IS NOT any kind of Fraxel laser it is still the traditional ablative CO2 laser.

- fraxel 2 = non ablative, less downtime, less risk, but more sessions

- CO2 = ablative, 2wk downtime, more risk, one session, but better results

while some of you may say well i dont wanna risk it, but if you ask me I would much rather get co2 done by a very skilled and experienced doctor than fraxel 2 by a nurse (in many cases not even a RN) that took some 2 week course on how to use a laser.

- retin A and needling can be very effective for scars and even for enlarged pores (duh, thats a given)

- 10% benzoyl peroxide is good for the skin

- did not recommend TCA CROSS or punch excisions. (I still might punch a deep icepick that i hate if it doesnt respond well to future treatments.)

he recommended subsicion followed by the co2 laser which I plan on doing after one more consultation with him after I ask him about fraxel 3 and 4, if he still says co2 is the way to go then I gonna do it.

I had a consultation with a Dr. Murad Alam last year, his credentials are very impressive. He practices medicine at the medical center of Northwestern Univ. in Chicago. Anyway my point is I asked him about scar revision therapies and here is what he had to say.

- the gold standard for scar revision IS NOT any kind of Fraxel laser it is still the traditional ablative CO2 laser.

while some of you may say well i dont wanna risk it, but if you ask me I would much rather get co2 done by a very skilled and experienced doctor than fraxel 2 by some nurse (in many cases not even a RN) that took some 2 week course on how to use a laser.

- retin A and needling can be very effective for scars and even for enlarged pores (duh, thats a given)

- did not recommend TCA CROSS or punch excisions. (I still might punch a deep icepick that i hate if it doesnt respond well to future treatments.)

he recommended subsicion followed by the co2 laser which I plan on doing after one more consultation with him after I ask him about fraxel 3 and 4, if he still says co2 is the way to go then I gonna do it.

while some of you may say well i dont wanna risk it, but if you ask me I would much rather get co2 done by a very skilled and experienced doctor than fraxel 2 by some nurse (in many cases not even a RN) that took some 2 week course on how to use a laser.

- Fraxel does have a new Ablative CO2 laser, though it's not indicated for scars. The CO2 laser is fine for very severe scarring, but has greater risks and downtime than most other procedures (except maybe dermabrasion).

As for nurses doing it, I'm sure for Fraxel it's perfectly fine. I went and I actually had a plastic surgeon/derm (not sure) do it, but he was in training and under supervision from the head surgeon. But basically, anyone can do it. It's just moving a hand tool device back and forth across your face.

- 10% BP can't be "good" for your skin, and from many accounts here, has lead to red marks.

- I hope you aren't paying for these consultations

- All treatments depend on the severity of your scars. I am not a fan of ablative procedures but they may work well for others. I would say it also depends on your schedule and budget.

my derm says CO2 not as effective as fraxel, but he may have been factoring in the risks involved and decided upon the risk/benefits ratio on that. however, i ended up doing a combined CO2 & fraxel session yesterday so I hope i reap the benefits from that!

You lost me at your disrespect for nurses.

perhaps that was a bit harsh, but i stand by it I dont care how simple the procedure is I would rather have it done by a doctor than a nurse anyday. The steady hands of a dermatologic surgeon is much better than the hands of nurse when it comes to a co2 laser.

but i guess for fraxel 2 would be ok with a nurse.

i didnt mean to be disrespectful but i can see how that came across but its not like i was like hey how can i piss the nurses off today

w/e this place sucks everyone knows more than the doctors and people post stuff that dont need be posted including this one

lol and btw there was a study done saying that there is no scientific evidence that drinking water helps your skin or flushing your system.

If you've done your research on this doctor (and he seems to be pretty reknowned and published) and the treatments hes proposing, then you should be able to make a good decision whether to go forward or not.

However, one thing you should realize by now is that listening to people on these boards is probably a better idea than listening to most doctors. The Doctor sees you as business first and foremost (ask if he will do the treatment anyway if you can't pay, just for giggles). We don't get anything by helping you, and most of us have a personal vested interest in determining effective methods for scar treatment. And at least I can say for myself I can honestly tell you about a treatment I've looked into or tried myself. I always ask people to post pictures as people tend to describe their own scars most often in overblown ways and if not, at least mis categorically.

That being said you should know that having seen what kind of people can get into medical school, you would also be more critical of the medical profession. Dermatology has one of the worst reputations, as well as radiology and anesthesiology for being "easy" practices. You can bet it's true to a certain extent. I would always go to plastic surgeon over a Dermatologist (but it looks like your doctor is a certified cutaneous surgeon, so that's good) for sophisticated treatments. I say all this with dual degrees in Biochemistry and Chemistry, as a certified EMT, experience in the emergency departments, now having worked for a year at a general practice/litigation law firm, you don't just go around life without questioning people and the practices around you.

FYI - I'm unsure what I'm going to be doing for graduate school, but after knocking out both Law school and Medical school, I think I'll be going for an MBA :shifty:

perhaps that was a bit harsh, but i stand by it I dont care how simple the procedure is I would rather have it done by a doctor than a nurse anyday. The steady hands of a dermatologic surgeon is much better than the hands of nurse when it comes to a co2 laser.

i didnt mean to be disrespectful but i can see how that came across but its not like i was like hey how can i piss the nurses off today

w/e this place sucks everyone knows more than the doctors and people post stuff that dont need be posted including this one

lol and btw there was a study done saying that there is no scientific evidence that drinking water helps your skin or flushing your system.