Notifications
Clear all

Anyone on low dose Accutane (10mg.)?

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/09/2008 10:54 pm

Hi all,

I started low dose accutane for my mild-moderate acne 2 weeks ago. I'm taking 10 mg daily. I'm a 33 years old gal (and should not be suffering from acne anymoreeee!!!!!!). Anyway, I have been on BCP, spiro, etc. They worked well for a while, but as soon as I noticed the pimples coming back yet once again, I panicked and begged my derm for Accutane. He said yes (Iguess my desperation face convinced him!).

Well, now I seem to be having the dreaded IB. I just want to know the experience of other low dose users. How long till the IB goes away? When did you start seeing results? If anyone has tried low dose (10-20 mg) please share your stories!! I'll keep you posted with my results.

Thanks!

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/10/2008 10:32 am

Hey! Anyone on 10-20mg?? Please share your experience!!!

MemberMember
(@lorri-x)

Posted : 05/10/2008 2:42 pm

Me too i'm on 10mg per day, only side effects really is dry lips, my hair has been shedding a bit more than usual too, but not clumps. I too had a bit of an outbreak where my skin got a loads more oily, however I stopped getting more spots after 2 weeks and the oil went and by 4 weeks I was spot free and have stayed that way touch wood for 3 months. How long are you on it for?

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/10/2008 2:56 pm

Hi Lorri x,

Thanks for replying! Today I took my 16th pill. And wow! I hope I respond to Accutane as well as you did! I'm in the middle of a IB, been on it for about a week. So I guess it started one week from when I took my first pill. And still going on...I made it worse, though, by picking on a big pimple --by now turned into a big, big scab. Anyway, hope to be out of the IB soon.

As for other side effects, my eyes are a bit dry (so I use drops), my back used to hurt during the first couple of days, but now doesn't anymore. That's it so far. Of course, another side effect is that everyday I completely obsess over how my pimples look --more, less, bigger, smaller????? My boyfriend is going nuts!

I'll let you know how this goes next week...

Hope you keep having great results!

MemberMember
(@blue-eyes)

Posted : 05/10/2008 10:05 pm

I am taking 20mg once a day (but for me that is just over 0.5mg per kilogram).

As far as side effects go my skin is only VERY slightly dry, I have been using QV cream for that, lips have been quite dry and I use vasoline on my lips for that which I find to be effective, the only other side effect (more recently) is dry eyes, just the other day I had to use my (prescription strength btw) refresh-liquigel (carmellose) 5 times during the day. My eyes felt like grit/sandpaper they were so dry..

I've had mild-moderate acne for roughly 11 years now, been on a lot of difference oral and topical antibiotics, also isotrex gel and retinoid creams as well as diane-35ed. Antibiotics never got rid of my acne entirely and if they did would only work for about 3 months, topical creams/oitments etc did not do ANYTHING and the diane-35 I was totally clear for 6 months. Thus far roaccutane seems to be working, on my 2nd month it seems I've got that initially breakout now but it isn't all that bad. I am fairly confident that it will work.

I hope you it works out well for you too!

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/11/2008 8:22 am

Hey girls, thanks for your posts!

It's really important to know that there's someone out there going through the same experience!

Blue Eyes, I'm sure it will work out. Both of my sisters had moderate-severe acne and, after Accutane (in higher dose due to their acne) they're completely clear for years now. I know it's hard to believe, I get so anxious that it won't work, but I remind myself that I've been on it a bit more than 2 weeks only, so it's too soon to expect anything radical...Anyway. Still on my IB. I have two healing pimples, and a few still fresh and going...Keep me posted!

As for side effects -nothing really, except dry eyes (so I use drops), dry lips (use aquaphor). No really dry skin yet.

Best of luck to us all,

Alicia

MemberMember
(@dizzle)

Posted : 05/11/2008 6:41 pm

I'm on my 12th day of 10 mg. of Claravis. There's not too may low-dosers so I was relieved to find your post! I thought I was mentally prepared for an IB but it's a lot easier said than done. I'm not sure if I'm experiencing my IB but whatever it is, is not pretty! I currently have an uncountable amount of small pimples covering my entire forehead and various whiteheads from hell. The only thing that's dry are my lips, my skin is still oily. Some days are easier than others and today happens to be the latter. I look forward to hearing about your journey on accutane since we started around the same time and we're on the same dose.

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/11/2008 9:46 pm

Hi NickMak! Good luck!

What type of acne do you have? And for how long is your derm putting you on Accutane? Great that someone else is going through the same treatment! It seems most people do between 40-60 mg...

I think I mentioned mine is mild-moderate, and that I'm 33 years old --feel too old for pimples. I'm supposed to be one year on this dose --or perhaps 20 mg. My doctor doesn't want to give me any higher dose than that. I agree with you --I thought I was prepared for the breakout, but its been nerve wrecking. And, to make matters worse, I am obsessive compulsive (and my obsession happens to be my skin!!!). A few years ago I was diagnosed as suffering from dysmorphic disorder (a mental disorder where you obsess and focus on one thing related to your appearance and it takes over your life --for me, of course, it was my acne). I had to take anti obsessive medications and was in a really bad state. Now I'm doing much better, but I can't help obsessing (sorry if I sound like I'm nuts --I swear I'm normal!!!!).

Anyway...back to the IB. Still on it. Going on for 10 or 11 days and hopefully will be over soon. I break out mainly on my chin. As for side effects, besides more pimples, I'd say dry eyes, so I use drops, barely felt dry lips, thanks to Aquaphor, a bit of a back ache during the first week --which I think yoga helped. And yesterday and today I've been hungrier, but maybe that's not Accutane related.

Ok, enough for now. Good night and keep me posted of your progress.

Cheers,

Alicia

MemberMember
(@daydreaming-in-dubaigmail-com)

Posted : 05/12/2008 12:15 pm

Hello there.

I'm a low-doser too! I'm 21/f and have mild-moderate acne. I'm on 20 mg/day for a course of 6 months. My derm told me that I won't need more than that. Currently i'm on my 27th day.

Thankfully, up to this point I haven't experienced the IB phase everyone is talking about. In the first few weeks I have experienced tiredness, back pain, nightmares (this lasted until last week), dryness, etc. Currently the only side effects i'm suffering from are skin dryness, eye dryness, lip dryness, and annoying BLACKHEADS!

I also have these tiny small bumps on my forehead and jawline, but i'm going for a facial tomorrow (as recommended by my derm) and they'll hopefully disappear.

MemberMember
(@dizzle)

Posted : 05/14/2008 1:42 pm

Hi NickMak! Good luck!

What type of acne do you have? And for how long is your derm putting you on Accutane? Great that someone else is going through the same treatment! It seems most people do between 40-60 mg...

I think I mentioned mine is mild-moderate, and that I'm 33 years old --feel too old for pimples. I'm supposed to be one year on this dose --or perhaps 20 mg. My doctor doesn't want to give me any higher dose than that. I agree with you --I thought I was prepared for the breakout, but its been nerve wrecking. And, to make matters worse, I am obsessive compulsive (and my obsession happens to be my skin!!!). A few years ago I was diagnosed as suffering from dysmorphic disorder (a mental disorder where you obsess and focus on one thing related to your appearance and it takes over your life --for me, of course, it was my acne). I had to take anti obsessive medications and was in a really bad state. Now I'm doing much better, but I can't help obsessing (sorry if I sound like I'm nuts --I swear I'm normal!!!!).

Anyway...back to the IB. Still on it. Going on for 10 or 11 days and hopefully will be over soon. I break out mainly on my chin. As for side effects, besides more pimples, I'd say dry eyes, so I use drops, barely felt dry lips, thanks to Aquaphor, a bit of a back ache during the first week --which I think yoga helped. And yesterday and today I've been hungrier, but maybe that's not Accutane related.

Ok, enough for now. Good night and keep me posted of your progress.

Cheers,

Alicia

Hi Alicia!

Thanks for the encouragment, I also wish you the very best while on this jouney. For as long as I can remember I've had mild acne and kept it under control with antibiotics but 10 months ago it flared up and took a turn for the worst. After experiementing with every antibiotic and topical without any results, I knew it was time for Accutane. My derm said it would a be six month commitment but I got the impression that it wasn't set in stone.

Today is day 15 and my face seems to be healing from the IB. I had to moisturize for the first time this morning which was a wierd feeling.

Has your IB settled down yet?

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/14/2008 3:54 pm

Hey!

IAm in my 20th day.

The IB seems to be subsiding. The pimples I had are healing now, and maybe one or two are coming on. On friday IAll be on my third week. Still anxious, though. I run to the mirror as soon as I wake up!!!! IAm trying to keep my obsession at bay, because itAs not healthy for me. I guess we low dosers have to be a bit more patient. Keep posting your results.

Cheers!

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/16/2008 7:44 am

Hey low-dosers! How's everyone doing?

I'm in my third week today (10mg)!! My skin is better than last week. Have one chin pimple that doesn't go away, a few that are drying up, and a few small, small whiteheads/blackheads. I definitely feel that my face/lips are getting dryer, so I moisturize more. My eyes are still dry. Other than that, everything is ok. I have a derm appointment until June 4th, and I think I'll ask my doctor to up me to 15mg. for next month, but let's see what he says. I really can't imagine being in a high dose, in this low one I do feel side effects!!!!! Let everyone know how's your progress. Good luck to all!!!!

Alicia

MemberMember
(@ryan42)

Posted : 05/16/2008 1:25 pm

Whats up everyone. Im starting a low dose treatment tomorrow and looking forward to some good results. Sucks to hear that most are experiencing the dreaded IB but it sounds like people are having success with this method of treatment.

Im 29 yrs old/male and agree that Im too friggin old to be getting acne...again. I will be taking 20mg/day which is a low dose considering Im 6'5 225.

I'll try to report back weekly with my results as its always nice to hear from people experiencing the same things.

I was on a high dose about 8 yrs ago and my skin cleared up so nicely that people were shocked to hear that I ever had an acne problem. It went into remission for a few years but recently Ive been experiencing too many breakouts to handle. But have no fear because I know this stuff works if you give it time... so be patient, and be excited, casue your gonna have clear skin before you know it!

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/16/2008 2:22 pm

Hey Ryan, good luck! It's nice to hear Accutane worked for you before. I'm sure this time it'll be the same! Keep your progress posted!

MemberMember
(@tuggy)

Posted : 05/18/2008 9:02 am

Hi there!

I'm a 29yo female on 20mg of isotretinonin (the generic Roac made by Beacon pharma here in the UK). Have had acne since I was 10 (yes 10!!!), tried everything except the tane, and finally succumbed... I've controlled it with Dianette/Diane35 bcp but I know that when I come off it the dreaded acne will return...

I'm on day 3 and so far have had brain-crushingly bad headaches, and my eyes are quite dry. Also had a few new spots on my chin but not sure if it's too early for IB or not?? The headaches are bad though, I hope I don't have them for the entire 4 months...

Anyway I will keep you guys posted!

:)

MemberMember
(@deadbeat007)

Posted : 05/18/2008 5:49 pm

tuggy, I think drinking lots of water would help ease the head aches. Head aches are usually caused by dehydration, I believe. Best of luck, everyone. =]

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/18/2008 6:23 pm

Hey Tuggy, make sure you take your pill WITH A MEAL. Once I took mine by itself and had a horrible headache all day. And yes, drink at least 2 liters of water per day. My IB started at day 7, so yours might be starting sooner. I'm in day 24, and now noticing drier skin, I think I might need a heavier moisturizer lotion soon. A few drying pimples and dry patches. A few clogged pores and blackheads, and one or two raised bumps.

Good luck all!!! :D

MemberMember
(@lostcitement)

Posted : 05/18/2008 11:48 pm

I m on it too

so far nothing happen.....touch wood....no side effect or ever

still getting one or two pimple a day but they are small like before

I dun see n e thing changing yet

I been on accutane four years ago.......and it break me out like crazy

I hope the low dosage of accutane won't break me out that bad

MemberMember
(@tuggy)

Posted : 05/20/2008 9:40 am

Hey, thanks for your tips and suggestions! I have been taking the capsules every morning after breakfast and drinking 3 or 4 litres of water a day. The headaches seem to be subsiding later in the day now which is good. Eyes are v dry but Optrex Refreshing Eye Drops helping with that! Also getting dryness around my nose. I'm using Lucas Paw Paw Ointment to ease that which works a treat (Lucas is only available in Australia unfortunately, as far as I know anyway).

As far as diet goes, are you supposed to take the capsule with some kind of fatty food (inc. good fats)? I'm sure I read that somewhere. Naturally my derm was completely unhelpful and didn't tell me half the stuff I've learnt from all the fabulous folks on this website. My diet is generally pretty healthy - I don't eat junk, fatty or processed food, and I make sure i eat lots of fresh veg and some fruit every day.

Thank you all! I don't know what I'd do without this site :)

MemberMember
(@tired-of-pigmentation)

Posted : 05/20/2008 1:05 pm

Do low doses deliver the same long term results as higher doses? I have mild/moderate acne as well and I'm going to ask my derm for Accutane on Friday. FINGERS CROSSED!!

MemberMember
(@deadbeat007)

Posted : 05/20/2008 3:02 pm

From what I've seen, yes - low doses of Accutane clear the skin very well. It may take a longer period of time to achieve remission, though.

MemberMember
(@dizzle)

Posted : 05/20/2008 4:43 pm

Hey!

Im in my 20th day.

The IB seems to be subsiding. The pimples I had are healing now, and maybe one or two are coming on. On friday Ill be on my third week. Still anxious, though. I run to the mirror as soon as I wake up!!!! Im trying to keep my obsession at bay, because its not healthy for me. I guess we low dosers have to be a bit more patient. Keep posting your results.

Cheers!

Hello again!

I'm in 21 days now and things have been...interesting. My IB subsided and the uncountable amount of tiny pimples on my forehead are now countable and hardly noticable. Things were going along just fine and yesterday I sprouted some actives. Nothing comparable to what I previously experienced but still a drag. My skin isn't super dry or oily which is refreshing however my lips are making up for all the dryness.

How are you doing?

MemberMember
(@aliciany)

Posted : 05/21/2008 4:34 pm

Hey!

Im in my 20th day.

The IB seems to be subsiding. The pimples I had are healing now, and maybe one or two are coming on. On friday Ill be on my third week. Still anxious, though. I run to the mirror as soon as I wake up!!!! Im trying to keep my obsession at bay, because its not healthy for me. I guess we low dosers have to be a bit more patient. Keep posting your results.

Cheers!

Hello again!

I'm in 21 days now and things have been...interesting. My IB subsided and the uncountable amount of tiny pimples on my forehead are now countable and hardly noticable. Things were going along just fine and yesterday I sprouted some actives. Nothing comparable to what I previously experienced but still a drag. My skin isn't super dry or oily which is refreshing however my lips are making up for all the dryness.

How are you doing?

Hi all,

I think I've taken 25 pills. Right now, no big pimples in sight, one or two drying up, but my skin texture is rough (chin, nose, apple of cheeks). I see tons of little blackheads all over these areas, but they're not noticeable (I think!) to anyone else but me (you know, I stare at my skin like one half an inch from the mirror). I've read that at some point all your blackheads decide to come up, and I guess that's what is happening to me right now. My skin is not too dry, but dryer than pre-Accutane, for sure. Dry eyes, sometimes a sore back. That's it. I try not to obsess to much, but definitely I see and feel a change in my skin everyday. Does that happen to you guys too???

Cheers, and good luck,

Alicia

MemberMember
(@ryan42)

Posted : 05/24/2008 11:11 pm

Whats up everyone.

Well, so far Ive taken about 6 pills (240mg) and so far not too much is happening. Thought 40 mg/day was too high to be considered "low-dose" but my derm told me that at my weight (225) this is still considered pretty low. Feeling like the IB is just itching to come out, but nothing yet. Lips getting dry...nothing else to report.

Cant wait till we're all reading these posts 6 months from now with perfect/clear skin laughing at how paranoid we were over the IB!!!

MemberMember
(@dee-dee)

Posted : 05/25/2008 12:57 pm

Hey! Thanks for posting on my blog :)

How long is your course?

I noticed we both tried the Spiro at the same time, too! Didn't do too much for me, just made me dizzy and have to pee all the time.

I do feel like I see a change in my skin everyday. It's crazy! I can't imagine being a higher dose. Even with the low dose I have the side affects.

My chin is super-dry, my lips are cracking, I have the gross sore on the side of my mouth, my eyeballs are dry, my skin is itchy ...and yesterday I went for a little walk and this morning I noticed my forearms are really red. I can't imagine being on a higher dose. I would die!

I'm almost 27, it's good to see some non-teenagers taking charge and getting rid of this once and for all!

Feel free to email me for support if you want!

dee dee