Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Catty

Roaccutane users in the UK

Ok Roaccutane users in the UK that are on Roac via the NHS and not privately - please please help me out.

I have a derm appointment next Tuesday and I'm hoping and praying I will get Roac. However I have no idea how long it will take to get it. My GP said that I might have to get counselling and whatnot beforehand and it might take a while. How long did it take you guys to actually get the Roac after your initial appointment? I'm really hoping they will give me Roac as I have tried EVERYTHING else and nothing has worked so far. I'd really appreciate any help as I'm going out of my mind here.

hey catty, i live in london and my derm gave me a prescription the same day. the only thing you might have to wait for is your pharmacy. when i took my 'order' in there they said it would be about 2 days to get the drugs in but thats all.

oh and just for the record i can honestly say its the best thing ive ever done. i tried about 6 different meds b4 accutane and jack shit worked for me. i finished my 6 month course last week and i dont have 1 spot on my entire body.

stick around with this forum during your course, there will be times when u just want to give up as believe me they do get worse before they get better and i honestly didnt notice any dramatic improvement until about the 4th month. but now......my god i just sit at home all day stroking my face like im a cat.

hope that helps! (apart from the cat bit)

Thanks Macc, that's really reassuring that you got your prescription the same day. I'm worried that I might have to cry and scream at my derm in order to get him to prescribe it as I hear bad things about some derms. I keep hearing about the initial breakout and I'm really worried about that, although my friend said he cleared up in 2 weeks when he was on it. I guess everyone is different. Thanks again!

I was given the go ahead for roaccutane in my first derm appointment but now I have to wait 5 weeks until I get my prescription.

Hi Catty,

I live in the UK and had my derm appointment one week ago on Friday. He said yes to roaccutane and sent me off for blood tests in the hospital the sameday. He asked me to come back in two weeks and if my bloods are okay then he will start me then. I do think it varies between derms on the NHS, anything from straight off to 4-5 weeks wait, don't know why! I was very pleased when he said come back in two weeks. I was already on the pill though, so consider that cos if you are not then thats a months wait. I think women don't usually get prescribed same day on NHS cos of pregnancy test results etc

I don't know about the pharmacies, hopefully someone else can help, most pharmacies prob do stock it, but I think usually on the NHS its through the hospital pharmacy cos of preg and blood tests results (but may be wrong).

Also I was really worried about my derm same as you, but although quite detached (which Im fine with) and super speedy (NHS!) he was absolutely fine, and didnt suggest anything other than roaccutane cos I look vile (ha, he didn't say this but I do) and have tried practically every other prescription going!

i walked into a lloyds, handed it over and they done it there. its a pretty small pharm so yeh it wont be a problem. like its been said everybody is different. mine cleared up really well after about a month but then they hit me hard a couple of times. like i said its all worth it tho

Hi, I had my derm appointment a few weeks ago and she gave me the prescription for roaccutane straight away. I had to have a blood test right then, and then had to take the prescription to a hospital pharmacy. annoyingly that hospital did not have a pharmacy! so had to go to another one. I am on 50mg, but they only had 20 and 5 amounts so every day im gonna have to take 2x20mg and 2x5mg, lets hope i remember which is which!

I got my prescription privately, so Im afraid I can't help you on that front, but I did have to have a pregnancy test and wait a week for blood results to come back before I could get my prescription.

Oh, and you can get Roaccutane in normal pharmacy's, but for obvious reasons not all will stock it.

A larger boots should have it, but yr best bet is to just ring some pharmacy's in yr area in advance and ask if they have any/enough roacc. in stock.

I HEART roaccutane.

They're not kidding about the lip balm though...

i fron uk nottingham,i was perscribed accutane made by beacon,uk donnt do roach i think,i went last friday 9th may,i havent even tried rettttttttin a,my acne is mild i was given 40 days supply of accutane 20mg tablets which i take twice a day but i push itt 3 times a day,i was givven accutane same day ,i wnt hospital 10am and i was outtttt for 12 with 40 day supply of accutane ad i got first blood test 2naro! i wish to get results soon,i been on for 3 days ad its workig wonders!

this is my accutane drug made by-- http://www.beaconpharma.co.uk/index.html

Thanks for your replies guys. I'm already on the pill so that should be ok. If I tell them I'm single, not having sex and haven't had sex in months will they still insist on a pregnancy test? I suppose the results are pretty much instant (are they?) so that shouldn't be a problem. Oh god, I really hope I am able to start taking it right away, my face is such a mess.

Do regular pharmacies supply Roac or is it just hospital pharmacies?

Regulars can order it in next-day.

I got roac from my derm in Bristol the same day of the appointment, which only lasted 5 minutes. He hands the stuff out like candy. Not like back in the states where you have to join the iPledge program and, in my case, wait for a certain required time period.

That sounds promising lappj. Are you a guy? It might be different for me being one of those women-types. It's so unfair, I'm single, not had sex in months, have been on the pill for years and there's no way I'm pregnant or want to get pregnant any time soon but my GP said I might have to get counselling or something before I get prescribed roac? It's all so ridiculous. *sighs* My dad went on it though and it worked for him so maybe if I throw that in they'll give it to me.

It is completley irrelevant of your sexual activity or relationship status. It doesn't matter if your even underage for sex. If you're female and on roaccutane you will need to have monthly pregnancy tests at the dr's before they issue another prescription.

My derm told me he had to do pregnancy tests for a 14 year old when she was on roaccutane, lol.

PS, lol, yes pregnancy test results are instant. They give you the stick. You wee on the stick. They take it away to do its stuff then hopefully it turns negative and they give you the drugs.

I got roac from my derm in Bristol the same day of the appointment, which only lasted 5 minutes. He hands the stuff out like candy. Not like back in the states where you have to join the iPledge program and, in my case, wait for a certain required time period.

Yea, I'm male. He may have given it out more freely to me because I had already used it. Still, he seemed very nonchalant about it and only asked a routine 2 or 3 questions before writing the subscription. The name is Doctor Kennedy at Spire Bristol Hospital (private, so if you don't have insurance it could get pricey).

the only reason theyre so shit hot on the pregnancy thing is because accutane can seriously damage an unborn baby. i guess they dont want any law suites on thier hands. just tell em ur really unhappy, not confident about going out etc the old sob story. they should be fine. ok so a few tedious pregnancy tests are required, but whats the price for clear skin eh?

my derm gave me the prescription the same day but i cud only get it frm the hospital pharmacy.

they also gave me a blood test but didnt mention any results till i asks. they were fine so i think thats why it was mentions.

i reads load of post about the bad sides effect but i had none apart frm dry lips.

i was 80mg a day and felt completely fine. excersised alot and drunk alcohol moderately. it was the best thing i ever did

Yeah, it's not the pregnancy tests that bother me it's the possibility of having to get counselling beforehand so I know how it affects an unborn child. Seems pointless to me and I'm not planning on getting pregnant on Roac!

Really, you drank alcohol daveuk27? I assumed it would be lethal to do so! Well that's good news!

Yeah, it's not the pregnancy tests that bother me it's the possibility of having to get counselling beforehand so I know how it affects an unborn child. Seems pointless to me and I'm not planning on getting pregnant on Roac!

Really, you drank alcohol daveuk27? I assumed it would be lethal to do so! Well that's good news!

well im still here mate. i didnt drink loads just a few nights out evry now and again. i think you only get problems drinking regurly

well im still here mate. i didnt drink loads just a few nights out evry now and again. i think you only get problems drinking regurly

yeh i drank shit loads. literally for the whole 6 months. i obviously wouldnt reccomend here but here i am liver in one piece skin like a babies ass. sweet.

Well, I had my derm appointment today. I had my blood taken and have another appointment in 2 weeks and if my blood tests are fine I'll be getting roaccutane. Yay! Pity I have to wait another 2 weeks though. I hope my blood comes back alright.

Well, I had my derm appointment today. I had my blood taken and have another appointment in 2 weeks and if my blood tests are fine I'll be getting roaccutane. Yay! Pity I have to wait another 2 weeks though. I hope my blood comes back alright.

good luck. hope it work for you.