Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
GhostLullaby

Fruit oriented diet (inspired by Seppo Pousa)

Hello

Having read a lot of Seppo Pousa's writings on this board and his homepage, I decided to make a diet change towards making fruit make up my primary calorie intake.

Generally I eat very healthy, and skip most if not all processed foods, sodas, refined sugar etc etc.

I have in the past tried to eat a lot of fruit, but found that I often mixed it with coconut oil etc etc and generally having a decently high percentage of calories coming from fat, alongside the fruit intake. It didn't really do much for my acne, and my chest and back acne often flared up in this period.

However, having read Seppo suggesting a very low fat diet as a requirement if you eat alot of carbs (lot of fruits), I tried to follow this suggestion. I have primary been eating fruits as my stable food the last 1½ weeks - either as they are or in a green smoothie combination, plus some fish here and there. My back and chest acne have pretty much cleared 100%, and I haven't experienced any of the flareups I preveiously did when my diet consisted of more fat. So w00 to that :D

My facial acne is also on the return, but I think I need a bit more patience with that.

Now....Enough blabbering :) I actually have a question in regards to all of this..

With this fruit oriented diet, I have found myself on some days having a hard time consuming enough calories (I need to hit about 2300-2500). Eating so much fruit / fiber often makes me feel quite full...So any tips on how to more easily hit a higher calorie intake? I was thinking adding some dried foods as snacks, example raisins - as just 200g provides ~600 calories. But I have heard it isn't very healthy to consume alot of driet fruit?

Avoid Dried Fruit

My current recommendation for dried fruit is simple: don’t eat it, except rarely on special occasions. The stuff is deadly. It doesn’t matter if it’s organic, sun-dried or imported from other planets: it’s still too sweet and too addictive and too difficult to digest. Unless you can limit yourself to eating two dried figs per day, avoiding dried fruit completely will be easier and might greatly improve your health, if you have been eating too much of it. Instead, reserve dried fruits for special occasions, when you’ll prepare a raw dessert with your friends or children.

Avocados are pretty calorie dense, you can try those. Same goes for mangoes.

Just how long are you looking to maintain this diet, again?

Avocados are pretty calorie dense, you can try those. Same goes for mangoes.

Just how long are you looking to maintain this diet, again?

That being said, I also do eat some fish and chicken, and some rare occasional red meat.

I wouldn't recommend restricting yoru diet like that, your body requires protein which fruit has very little of.

I am not surprised you have to eat a lot of fruit, fruit isn't especially calorie dense as it is mostly water, not much sugar, 90% of your energy will be sugar, I am not sure if that is healthy, thats like over 600g of sugar a day at 2500cal if you are only eating fruit, though yes, small amount will be from other carb sources etc

your body also needs fat as well

That being said, I also do eat some fish and chicken, and some rare occasional red meat.

Guess I just don't see the point of an only-fruit diet. =/

Wouldn't it be better to have a balance of fruits, vegetables, fats, and meat?

Guess I just don't see the point of an only-fruit diet. =/

Wouldn't it be better to have a balance of fruits, vegetables, fats, and meat?

protein needs really do vary, if you are eating fruit and veg as your main diet i think you wil be okay, but variety is key, differnt colours and everything

Glad to hear I managed to inspire you to try and even better that you are seeing good results.

I don't usually post too many comments here anymore because it always ends up the same. Debate which diet is better and why the other person's diet cannot work. It's just waste of time.

I wouldn't worry too much about calories. Eat until you are full. If you get cravings (fat, sugar or other condensed foods) it simply means you are not eating enough fruits. My cravings always fly out the window after few bananas.

I've noticed that some days I get only about 1800 calories or so and feel absolutely full. But if I calculate my calories needs (BMR and exercise) I should need close to 3000 calories. Still I have more than enough energy to exercise and I don't like to stuff myself. Listen to your body and see the results you get. If you lose weight like crazy then eat more.

I haven't lost any weight on this diet. Quite the opposite. I've put on couple of kilos of muscle and shaved off fat.

That said, it's not that difficult to get 2500 or more calories from fruits alone. My morning smoothie has about 800 calories. Usually 3 to 4 bananas, 1/2 to 1 pineapple, 2 pears, 1 pound of greens and a handful or two of frozen berries.

Athletes on this diet take up to 6000 calories a day.

And stay away from avocados. They throw your fat consumption off the charts. Consequently you can say hello to Candida, acne and other blood sugar related problems. No more than one avocado a day.

About protein. Proteins are amino acids. Amino acids are enzymes. Raw fruits and vegetables are full of enzymes. You cannot be protein deficient if you get enough calories.

If this diet would leave your protein deficient then it wouldn't be good for athletes. Right?

Well, let's see if the results in the real world confirm that.

First let's see Dr. Douglas Graham. 30 year on low-fat raw vegan diet (basically fruits and vegetables) and lifetime athlete. At age 60 he leaves 20 year old athletes to dust. He's also coaching many olympic level athletes such as Martina Navratilova who was on this diet when she was winning left and right. Again at age 60 he's probably fitter than anyone on here.

He has some good articles on his website:

http://www.foodnsport.com/joomla/content/view/122/78/

Tim VanOrden at runningraw. Again at age 39 beating 20 year old athletes in national-level running and stair competitions. He says this diet enables him to train harder than any other diet.

http://www.runningraw.com/

Tim also has some interesting stuff on his website.

Carl Lewis. Here's what he said:

“In fact, my best year of track competition was the first year I ate a vegan diet.†He continued, “Dr. McDougall challenged me to make a commitment to eating a vegetarian diet and then to just do it.â€

http://www.nealhendrickson.com/mcdougall/0...repeopletoo.htm

Thanks so very much indeed for your extremely elaborate reply, Seppo!

I have coincidentally ordered a book a week ago, by the author of whom you speak; Douglas Graham. The book is entitled: "The 80/10/10 Diet" and has received great reviews, so I'm looking forward to reading more indepth information about a fruitbased diet.

Once again thx for the informative reply, you seem very capable and knowledgeable, and it is always a treat to get advice from such a person :genius:

Get that book. It's amazing. I would also recommend Grain Damage by Dr. Graham. Though I haven't read it yet, it's on my list and people seem to say good things about it.

Yes certainly be very worried about grains, but also fruit juice. Fruit juices are very high in sugar. Keep fruit to a minimum and concentrate on vegetables and natural fats from meat, fish and coconut etc. Fruit should be eaten. You'll find fat will fill you up much faster. Did you know that 80% of American over 2 years old are Omega 3 deficient, and that is a fat soluble vitamin. Fat will only effect you if eaten in conjunction with carbs. Or if you are consuming unhealthy fats like vegetable oil.

You should search for the Dr Terry Wahls TEDx video, very informative about diet. Also it has been found that restricting carbohydrates in cancer patients can slow tumour growth by 50%. Mobilising energy from ketones requires much less oxygen than converting glucose, meaning you blood is more oxygen rich, which obviously has many health benefits, cancer cells struggle to utilise ketones.

Dr Stephen Phinney is a good source for information on Ketogenic diets, although you'd have to give up your fruit :) Obviously there is an obvious problem with restricting calories as you will end up being hungry. Ketogenic diets reduces the symptoms of Metabolic Syndrome, and also leave you feeling full.

Hello

Having read a lot of Seppo Pousa's writings on this board and his homepage, I decided to make a diet change towards making fruit make up my primary calorie intake.

Generally I eat very healthy, and skip most if not all processed foods, sodas, refined sugar etc etc.

I have in the past tried to eat a lot of fruit, but found that I often mixed it with coconut oil etc etc and generally having a decently high percentage of calories coming from fat, alongside the fruit intake. It didn't really do much for my acne, and my chest and back acne often flared up in this period.

However, having read Seppo suggesting a very low fat diet as a requirement if you eat alot of carbs (lot of fruits), I tried to follow this suggestion. I have primary been eating fruits as my stable food the last 1½ weeks - either as they are or in a green smoothie combination, plus some fish here and there. My back and chest acne have pretty much cleared 100%, and I haven't experienced any of the flareups I preveiously did when my diet consisted of more fat. So w00 to that biggrin.gif

My facial acne is also on the return, but I think I need a bit more patience with that.

Now....Enough blabbering smile.gif I actually have a question in regards to all of this..

With this fruit oriented diet, I have found myself on some days having a hard time consuming enough calories (I need to hit about 2300-2500). Eating so much fruit / fiber often makes me feel quite full...So any tips on how to more easily hit a higher calorie intake? I was thinking adding some dried foods as snacks, example raisins - as just 200g provides ~600 calories. But I have heard it isn't very healthy to consume alot of driet fruit?

Avoid Dried Fruit

My current recommendation for dried fruit is simple: don’t eat it, except rarely on special occasions. The stuff is deadly. It doesn’t matter if it’s organic, sun-dried or imported from other planets: it’s still too sweet and too addictive and too difficult to digest. Unless you can limit yourself to eating two dried figs per day, avoiding dried fruit completely will be easier and might greatly improve your health, if you have been eating too much of it. Instead, reserve dried fruits for special occasions, when you’ll prepare a raw dessert with your friends or children.

If you manage to spot this thread Seppo, I would very much appreciate if you would give me some additional guidelines on how to keep up my fruit based diet and still maintain a suitable calorie intake.

make fruit smoothies, its a lot easier to consume that much fruit at one time. Watermelon is high in calories, about 1350 in one melon. The following fruits have around 100 calories: banana, pears, oranges. I suggest also, 1 cup of dates is about 490 calories.