Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
sadcaroline

off topic...what to use for horses cut leg?

Hey everyone... im a regular reader of the board ..love it!!! I know this post is wayyy off topic.. but I know you guys know alot about skin.. anyway.. my horse cut his leg getting out of his pasture today.. the cut is not severe.. but not very minor.. kinda in the middle.. what do you guys recommend to get it healing an to spare him of a scar?

thanks so much in advance

ps: maya.. thanks so much for the vinegar method..!!

Spenco? Neosporin?

I would call a vet. They would probably give you free advice about a cut. You probably have to wash it real well to avoid infection,and should put a bandage on it.

Poor horsie sad.gif

You remind me of Tony soprano with his horse. I have Soprano fever! I can't wait for tomorrow night's season premiere!! :-#

Hope everything goes well for you and your horse.

Emma

TELL the Horse to DRINK plenty of water preferably with half teaspoon of Lemon.

Set the horse asap on a regimen of vinegar+water.

biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Is the horse Light skinned or dark skinned? biggrin.gif

Ok seriously i echo the other poster's comment on seeing a vetenarian or atleast go to a horse/vetenarian forum and see what they suggest. Or read those Periodicals/books on horses in the bookstore.

Believe it or not, there are TONS of pages out there if you just do a google search:

http://www.google.ca/search?q=horse+wounds...F-8&hl=en&meta=

I hope that the other horses let him play their reindeer games. Them poor equines get as roughed up as we do. sad.gif

http://www.publicbookshelf.com/public_html...rsewoun_id.html

http://horsedoc_org.tripod.com/id143.htm

http://www.petalia.com.au/Templates/StoryT...s&story_no=1343

Hey everyone... im a regular reader of the board ..love it!!! I know this post is wayyy off topic.. but I know you guys know alot about skin.. anyway.. my horse cut his leg getting out of his pasture today.. the cut is not severe.. but not very  minor.. kinda in the middle.. what do you guys recommend to get it healing an to spare him of a scar?

thanks so much in advance

ps: maya.. thanks so much for the vinegar method..!!

common guys....

what if sadcaroline cuts his own leg ...? would you send him to the Lounge too?

i think sadcaroline asked his question in the right place...people here know more about the skin and scars than in the Lounge...

It's fine that it was posted here and it wasn't removed or moved. I was just making a suggestion thinking that sadcaroline might receive more advice in The Lounge.

It's perfectly okay for people to have different opinions.

I would suggest you take him to the vet. I doubt human skin and horses skin is similar. Most important though, keep the wound clean and wrap in bandages. I wonder if neosporin could help? I guess it would.

And oh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I am now so full of envy. I LOOOOOOOVVVVEEEEEEE horses and my dream as a child was to own one, but it never happened. Still, I do love to loom at horses; to me, they are the most beautiful and graceful animals.

Hi All,

I really don't think this is off topic. We talk about all types of scarring here and much of the research being done is being performed on animals.

One of the problems with human scar research is that no animal model exists which shares all of our skin characteristics. There is one type of pig that is close but that's it.

I think we need to open our hearts to those who lack opposable thumbs and can't type.

I had a fox terrier once and when I cam home I found he had been seriously hurt. I took him in to get stitches but the 4 inch flap they sutured did not seat properly and the area was always noticeable.

I would say call a vet and ask what you should do and get the horse stitches if needed.

All my best!

Anna

The good thing is that I doubt a horse, dog or pig will ever care (or know) about their scars.

And ... most of us humans can't fail to love an animal that has suffered even more... why is it that we can't love ourselves more for our own injuries?

sadcaroline, biggrin.gif

here are 2 points from 30 sec. conversation with my friend-doctor...

- you would treat animal skin pretty much the same way as human...with antibiotics...neosporin should be fine...

- generally animals are "cleaner" than humans...meaning we humans have more bacteria than animals...

I wonder if the horses wound is accessible to the horses mouth? I know animals often lick their own wounds because they have some self-healing properties in their saliva.

Oh!!!

The mouth is one of the areas in your body that heals most perfectly. I read that saliva has large amounts of TGF B3 (the non-scarring factor!).

If it weren't for the bacteria we have in our mouths we would be well served to lick our wounds!

Anna

If licking or spreading our own saliva on our faces would be good for our skin, then would you do it Maya? biggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gifbiggrin.gif

Of course! In fact, many people lick their own wounds. If I get a cut on my hand, I lick it. It's always been a natural response for me... and I've never had a bad reaction from doing so.

I will go as far to say that I would put anything on my face if I knew it would heal my scars .... as long as it did not hurt any human or animal to do so.

hey again.. thanks so much for all of the advice.. the horses leg is cut right below his knee on the back left an right leg.. although the left is worse... i pray this wont leave a scar.. as this horse was bought in hopes to one day be a show horse...in looking at the wound today... i think it needed a stitch.. but too late now.. sad.gif im sorry to whine about a horse on here... but hes very special.. im actually going to try using bacon grease.. alot of friends with horses say if u put it on a wound.. it will heal quickly an cause hair to grow back.. (which is the main problem with him, the scar tissue wouldnt cause a problem... but he just needs hair covering it).. so i thought that was interesting.. bacon grease..lol... but ill keep everyone posted..

thanks again for the response

Use Aloe vera sadcaroline.... its a great healing treatment.

First i ever heard of it was through a lady promoting it up our stables when i was younger. And she showed some distrubing pictures of horses wounds which healed remarkably.

I used that on my horse and it worked a treat.