Notifications
Clear all

Oily from wearing glasses?

MemberMember
(@wanabeacnefree)

Posted : 05/07/2008 10:46 am

I have started wearing my glasses everyday now and find I am very oily and get more breakouts on the bridge of my nose and between my eyes.

Does anyone else have this issue???

Any advice on what to do???

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/07/2008 11:12 am

Sometimes pads on the part that touches the nose helps prevent chafing and irritation. The irritation is what caused me breakouts when I wore glasses; I'd also blot the area a lot as it did feel more oily while wearing glasses. There are little pads one can buy that adhere to the eyeglasses and helps prevent the plastic or metal of the frame from rubbing on the nose or bridge of the nose; they do help.

MemberMember
(@wanabeacnefree)

Posted : 05/07/2008 11:28 am

Oh Wynne, how did I know you would be first to reply with such great advice?! Thanks

I need to get my eyes checked again and am thinking about contacts, which will also help my situation ;)

MemberMember
(@wynne)

Posted : 05/07/2008 11:31 am

I love contacts; my prescription is so strong that the glasses always made me feel like I was hidden behind a huge wall. Not true of course, but that's how I felt, like I was wearing a curtain or a veil.

MemberMember
(@lu-lu-belle)

Posted : 05/07/2008 12:02 pm

i have this problem too! i didn't know they made pads.... hmmm.... i just usually apply a bit more powder around the bridge of my nose and it cuts down on the oil production.

MemberMember
(@merysa)

Posted : 05/07/2008 3:49 pm

I also had this problem, and its really all about washing your face. Don't scrub that never helps but pay extra attention when your washing that part of your face, it really helps.

=)

Also i want contacts but my eyes aren't bad enough apparently.. strange.

MemberMember
(@addie)

Posted : 05/08/2008 9:31 pm

I wash my glasses with dish soap 2-3 times per day. I still can't keep the darn things up because of the grease, but the rubbing doesn't cause breakouts anymore. I found that I have to use dish soap, specifically, because nothing else will cut through the sebum that gets on the lenses from blinking and having eyelashes. I have plastic frames (lenses are really too thick for wire rims), and all this washing hasn't hurt them, but wire frames might be more susceptible to damage.

MemberMember
(@wanabeacnefree)

Posted : 05/11/2008 8:02 am

Thanks guys :D

I generally do pay extra attention to the bridge of my nose when cleansing.

I might also try cleaning my glasses with antiseptic wipes daily.

MemberMember
(@cecelia)

Posted : 05/11/2008 10:47 pm

I wash the nose pads of my glasses every day with lens cleaner or shampoo or facial cleanser (whatever I can get my hands on). It makes a huge difference for me.

MemberMember
(@acne_battle)

Posted : 05/12/2008 12:04 am

I have started wearing my glasses everyday now and find I am very oily and get more breakouts on the bridge of my nose and between my eyes.

MemberMember
(@addie)

Posted : 05/12/2008 12:10 am

I forgot: When I used to swipe my rims down with alcohol every day it also helped. I really should get around to buying more of that.

Molly, you're a punk. :P

MemberMember
(@wanabeacnefree)

Posted : 05/12/2008 7:54 pm

Get lasik eye surgery

MemberMember
(@ladychaos)

Posted : 04/13/2019 7:39 pm

On 5/8/2008 at 10:31 PM, Addie said:

I wash my glasses with dish soap 2-3 times per day. I still can't keep the darn things up because of the grease, but the rubbing doesn't cause breakouts anymore. I found that I have to use dish soap, specifically, because nothing else will cut through the sebum that gets on the lenses from blinking and having eyelashes. I have plastic frames (lenses are really too thick for wire rims), and all this washing hasn't hurt them, but wire frames might be more susceptible to damage.

I've actually found thay facial wipes meant for oily skin (I personally used the Neutrogena pink grape fruit ones) work really well for cleaning lenses. The trick is to cleant the lenses thoroughly with the wipe (one wipe is enough for both lenses!), rinse them under running water (this part is EXTREMELY important, because otherwise the wipe will leave a residue), and then wipe them gently with a clean microfiber lens cloth. Alternatively, the spray they sell for cleaning LED TV/computer screens will work fairly well too, and they usually come with a soft cloth.