Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I feel the older I am getting the less I care about what people think. I know I still have long ways to go but I feel at ease with myself most of the time. I use to cringe when I looked at the mirror before because of acne, and now a couple of blemishes don't bother me as much. I was worried about my scars, and still am some what, but they don't bother me as much. I realize I have a lot of good qualities with in me, and I deserve happiness. I hope the older I get the more wiser I become, and the less I care about physical apperance. Maybe this has to do with my lifestyle change. I have been doing yoga every morning, and really been involved in volunteering at the hopsital. Ehhh who knows what it is but I hope it last. Sorry to rant guys... I really shouldn't because a huge test tomorrow. I hope everyone is doing well.

I think it's both. The older you are, the more you get used to it. When you're around 13 or whatever, you think it's the end of the world, but later on, you're more mature about it. But then again, the older you are, the faster you want to get rid of it because you're an adult. I'm not saying that's the same for everyone, but I'm sure I can speak for some of the people here. Either way, I've grown out of it like some so it's not really a problem with me.

well im 24 and still hoping lol,

maybe i will be more confident in the future when i accept what has happened in terms of scar and emotional damage.

how did your treatment work by the way?

I do feel confidence comes with age. Even though acne and its marks play a role in hindering the self esteem of the adult, there are just too many other things to worry about like financial security, jobs, children, taking care of aging parents, making sure you're in good shape physically and mentally, and lots of other little things. I think as you interact with an older crowd (as I assume you're doing by volunteering at the hospital), you'll find that they could really care less about your acne. By the way, I think it's fantastic you're volunteering. I bet you get to hear and see all kinds of neat things. :)

well im 24 and still hoping lol,

maybe i will be more confident in the future when i accept what has happened in terms of scar and emotional damage.

how did your treatment work by the way?

Getting over acne woes and being confident comes with experience....

We tend to cocoon ourselves and stop meeting people...

Confidence comes with people accepting who we are inside... our personalities...

I used to feel shy as a teenager... though I was more of an extrovert (in my mind at least) than most others with clear skin...

The fact that people do stare at your face and notice the big red bumps on it, and go "urghh" for a second (most do not say this out loud) is inevitable..........

Overcoming that "urghh" is the step to being confident... :)

I think there is little relationship between confidence and age. People who are lacking confidence might find it comforting to think it will come naturally in due time. But I don't think that's the case. If skin improves over time then yes confidence will go up, but that is a confounder.

I don't know if it's "confidence" that comes with age, maybe it's just more or less that you have less energy to waste on things like worrying what other people think. I'll be 27 in a few months and anymore, I just don't have the time to really wonder what someone thinks about my skin. There's too many jobs to be done, too much housework to do, etc etc. My time is generally spent thinking about other things.

It comes with experience, and age doesn't necessarily guarantee that.

In general I think it's true.. this is because as we grow older, we get to know more people and after a while, you get used to having acne.

ie you become less caring about acne and more about important stuff :)

Yep. I am very confident now. Sometimes it waivers however for the most part, even on my worst days, i am always upset. But, then as the day progresses I just become more and more confident...