Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
stevie8

Usage of Retin A for 2 mths and a week (pics)

post-75490-1210149559_thumb.jpg

post-75490-1210149739_thumb.jpg

Do you guys think that Retin-A is gonna work for me, judging the situation that I'm in now?

I'm applying BP in the morning and Retin A at night. Is it better to apply Retin A in the morning rather than BP?

One more thing, IF ppl says accutane is 9.5/10 in curing acne, what about Retin-A? How will u guys rate it?

No, don't use retin A in the morning. Sun has an effect on it, that is why you use it an night. As far as if you should continue...not sure? What did your skin look like before? Was it the same as this or have you seen an improvement?

No, don't use retin A in the morning. Sun has an effect on it, that is why you use it an night. As far as if you should continue...not sure? What did your skin look like before? Was it the same as this or have you seen an improvement?

retin a doesnt kill bacteria, antibiotics like ethromycin kill bacteria... retinoids just help the skin exfoliate at a much faster rate.

and the bp takes care of inflammation so dont stop that

No, I don't use Retin A. I tried it, but it was too harsh, made me red like a tomato. I use Differin, which is also a retinoid product, but much gentler on the skin.

You definitely can't mix retin A with BP. So, I hear what you're saying, you want to ditch the BP and go to 2 times a day with the Retin A. My feeling is that it's not going to work twice as fast or better. It is probably going to just irritate your skin, and if your skin is irritated, you will break out even more.

Since you are 9 weeks in, I would suggest you give it 3 more weeks. The derms say that it takes a good 12 weeks to see the results. You shouldn't give up now, you have put this much time in already. After a solid 12 weeks, then evaluate your skin again and decide then if it's working for you. But I would just keep with once at night and still keep using the BP in the morning.

rainydays, thanks for ur info. I guess i will use BP in the day and RetinA in the night. hopefully this will really work for me.

sunny123, I gonna persevere for 3 more weeks then. And I just heard from my doctor that if you are taking Retin-A, you cannot take Vitamin A supplements. They will cancel out each other. Just for your info though. = )

I don't know if it's just because they're pictures, but you don't seem very red nor irritated. If that's the case, I would stick with it. As far as topicals go, the most effective stuff are the retinoids.

In my case, my face was too red and irritated, so I had to switch to azelaic acid, which I am very happy with right now (keeps me clear AND doesn't make me look like a tomato).

Retin-A is also good for anti-aging purposes, so it's a really good product if you can just wither the irritation.

Do you guys think that Retin-A is gonna work for me, judging the situation that I'm in now?

I'm applying BP in the morning and Retin A at night. Is it better to apply Retin A in the morning rather than BP?

One more thing, IF ppl says accutane is 9.5/10 in curing acne, what about Retin-A? How will u guys rate it?

My experience with Retin-A (tretinoin, 0.05% cream) is that it is now working great but it didn't start working at all until week 10 I was on the treatment. For the first seven-eight weeks, my acne was definitely worse, my skin was hypersensitive to changes in temperature, and got extremely irritated easily. Now, I not only have much clearer skin but my skin looks much younger and more evenly toned - that is aside from the red marks that are going to take awhile to heal. I still get pimples but they are much smaller and heal much more quickly (i.e., overnight)

So, like everyone says you have to be very patient. For some lucky people, it works in 3-4 weeks. For some it will take the full 12 weeks you are supposed to allow. I know it's frustrating but just be patient.

Also, I'm not sure that using BP at the same time as Retin-A is such a good idea. I did that a couple times while I was on treatment out of frustration and the result was severe peeling which probably exacerbated the problem because that much irritation isn't good for your skin. I still use an SA cleanser but my toner is just Witch Hazel now as even an SA toner was fairly irritating to my skin. But you might have less sensitive skin than me, not sure.