Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ts93

When using a Salicylic Acid Product, Do you get an INITIAL BREAKOUT?

I started about 5 days ago using a 2% wash 2x a day and I've noticed that I'm getting worse. I am using no other products other than this wash.

I'm breaking out.... Which wasn't happening before. Along with pimples and whiteheads (which is what my normal breakouts are) I'm getting a lot of blackheads. Then again, I did have a lot of "deep" blackheads.... They look like very dark pores... which maybe it is bringing to the surface? (sorry dont know what they're called)

Should I keep using it because this initial breakout is normal or should I try something else??? THANKS

I would say IMHO, that SA is the best for blackheads. It does wonders. They may be coming to the surface. I first used a Murad exfoliating gel that had SA in it and it got worse before it got better, it took 30 days or so where I felt it was really working. For the regular stuff that you are dealing with, the wash you are using will help, but you may want to dab some 2.5% bp on them at night, see if that helps them clear up quicker. If you get too dry, try to use a moisturizer - which is good anyway.

Good luck!

Thank you for the response.

I am using a pHisoderm 2% acne wash. I like it because it does not dry my skin out very bad, and it has a nice scent and is in gel form. I use it twice daily and it foams up nicely.

It is keeping my skin clear and vibrant, and is helping to get rid of my scars! Unfortunately, it is not really treating my current acne, and I am still getting evil spots. They are very bad and I have not gotten spots like these in a while. I think the SA is bringing them to the surface, because I've stopped breaking out, and is starting to heal.

I will continue using this wash unless I experience another breakout. I'm assuming what I've been experiencing is just initial.

I am using a BP / Sulfur mask overnight on the trouble areas, and it is helping dry out existing spots.

Some SA products do cause initial breakouts. It depends on the product and how the individual reacts to certain products too. The face wash Im using contains SA and it didnt cause an inital breakout. I was breaking out long before I started using the cleanser. Thast why I started washing with this

I've recently gone back to SA products because I tried BP & it caused a horrible initial breakout, which I could have handled, but it also burned my skin. Since I started using SA products, I neverget blackheads. It probably is bringing them to the surface. Good Luck!

Initial breakouts are common when you switch products - I'd give it a week or two, depending on the severity. If it still breaks you out after that, try another medication.

i broke out once using SA. but i stuck to it for awhile and wasnt improving, so i switched and stopped. if yo still breakin out, dont stick to it too long.