Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lj28

Spiro - when should oiliness start to subside?

Hi all,

I've read quite a few of the Spiro threads in this section, including the big long one, but am still unsure about the answer to my question, so I thought I'd start a new thread.

[background on my acne: I'm 28 and have had extremely oily skin with bad acne since my mid-teens. I was on Accutane four times from the age of 14 - 20 as well as every other topical and antibiotic treatment that was available.

Finally at age 21 I went on Dianette/Diane 35 which had an amazing effect -- my skin was perfect for almost 6 years. However my migraines were so severe on Diane that I had to stop taking it last year and almost 1 year later my skin is as oily as ever and the acne is beginning to return, most distressingly on my neck and chest but also quite a few whiteheads on my chin

I have been on Spiro before years ago but I have no idea how much I was on, or how long it took to work. I'm pretty sure I was using it in combination with other stuff such as Diane and was eventually taken off it as Diane seemed to be doing the job.]

Two weeks ago I went to a GP and asked for Spiro as I was freaking out after getting a cyst on my cheek and sick to death of my extremely oily skin and pimply chest, and seemed to remember that Spiro had worked well for me awhile back. He had never seemed to have heard of Spiro but looked it up on his little database and prescribed me 50mg a day, which I upped to 100mg immediately myself after reading that 50mg is essentially ineffective. And I *think* I may have been on 200mg before with no problem.

Anyway, FINALLY, here is my question! After two weeks I'm not expecting to be acne-free by any means, but I was wondering when I should realistically expect oil production to decrease somewhat, so at least I know that the Spiro is working.

My skin is still so oily that I am seemingly going through reams of blotting sheets a day and I am so sick of it! I get the impression that for many of you oiliness stopped almost immediately after beginning to take Spiro? Should I increase my dosage?

Thanks for listening!

Most people don't see results until the 3rd month. You should see a reduction in oil by then. Make sure you don't skip a dose.

I had acne on my neck and chest (along with my chin, jawline and back). It was all gone by the 6th month. Oil is gone too.

Most people don't see results until the 3rd month. You should see a reduction in oil by then. Make sure you don't skip a dose.

I had acne on my neck and chest (along with my chin, jawline and back). It was all gone by the 6th month. Oil is gone too.

OK, so it's normal if I'm still as oily now as I was before I started taking it?

I seem to remember reading in the main Spiro thread that a lot of people's oiliness stopped almost immediately, but they continued to break out for the first couple of months.

I had been assuming that the acne would continue but that oily skin would stop almost straight away.

OK, so it's normal if I'm still as oily now as I was before I started taking it?

I seem to remember reading in the main Spiro thread that a lot of people's oiliness stopped almost immediately, but they continued to break out for the first couple of months.

I had been assuming that the acne would continue but that oily skin would stop almost straight away.

I didn't notice a decrease in oiliness until several months after taking spiro. But I can't recall exactly when I first noticed it. I'm sure it happened gradually but I think I was so focused on the acne and zits that I wasn't paying attention to how oily my skin was. But it's amazing the difference now! It was embarrassing and gross how oily my skin and scalp used to get. (I used to leave grease marks on my pillow case....YUCK!!!!) Now my skin feels normal. I would say it's still on the oily side of normal but nothing like the grease factory I had going before.