Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Soul2quz

Has anyone done skin re-surfacing?

My dad has been telling me look into laser treatments, or something that would help me my acne scars. I was at the mall a few days ago and saw pure med spa, and it looked really nice and professional. I looked it up online, and saw they actually had a variety of treatments for redness and scar treatments.

So I was basically wondering has anyone gotten any work done at pure med spa? Because I thought the fractional nonsurgical skin resurfacing looked interesting.

This is the description they provided :

"The Fractional Laser delivers a precise amount of light in an array of high precision microbeams. These microbeams create narrow, deep columns of tissue coagulation while sparing the surrounding tissue from damage.

The coagulated tissue within the columns initiates a natural healing process that accelerates the formation of new, healthy tissue. Coagulated cellular debris is expelled as the skin is resurfaced".

Pure Med Spa

So any info or reviews that you guys can provide would be wonderful.

Any suggestions or treatments you guys have tried for acne scarring that have worked for you?

THANKS.

I went for a consultation at the med spa today. She thought it would be best for me to get 3 treatment of ALA, which releases amino acids and then i am exposed to light. This procedure is to kill any bacteria that I have left in my skin, since i recently just broke out after months. She did mention that this would cause some redness for 2-3 days and peeling (which is good). Saying breakouts could occur, which would diminish within 2 weeks, though the acne would be small.

Then she wanted me to do 3 treatments of skin resurfacing 1540, for my scars. She said results could wary, but since i had young skin I should get really good results. Shes seen people with 60-80%. She showed me some before and after pictures they had on file.

She gave me a 15% discount on both packages (separately).

The prices (before disc) ALA $1299 / After $1104.15 (3 treatments)

resurfacing: $2500 / $2125 (3 Treatments)

I haven't booked the appt yet, but if i want to get the discount rate I have to by Thursday. The only downer is that I did not get accepted for the payment plan, which is through a capital one credit card, with a 1.99% APR. I would need to get a co-sign, but since my parents have no credit, that ruled that out for me.

I only have 2 credit cards, one with 1800 and one with 800. As of right now they are pretty charged up, but i got a check back from my school for the scholarship money i didnt use. So that will clear it all up.

Do you think its worth it? I want to go through with it, but other than the before and after pictures I have nothing to go on. I mean I have been going to a derma for years now, and i've seen improvement, but hes done no laser treatments, and doesn't seem like hes going to.

i just did a thing called "Fraxel" at my dermatologist's office four days ago and am at home recovering with the massive downtime involved.. I am not sure if this is the same thing that you are looking at. Fraxel is like $1000 a pop with massive 5 day downtime. But I had also tried a V-Beam before which worked a little to minimize scars. That costs about 1500 for five treatments.

It seems like quite an investment. And I wouldn't do it until you are sure you have acne under control. If you can handle your scars until school is done, my guess is that the price of these skin lasers might be going down... one would hope. And this is a horrible suggestion, but one that is less expensive, you could also look at doing treatments in Mexico for less. In my research I found a place in Tijuana that did Fraxel for $400. Sure... you might end up with extra teeth.....

I went for a consultation at the med spa today. She thought it would be best for me to get 3 treatment of ALA, which releases amino acids and then i am exposed to light. This procedure is to kill any bacteria that I have left in my skin, since i recently just broke out after months. She did mention that this would cause some redness for 2-3 days and peeling (which is good). Saying breakouts could occur, which would diminish within 2 weeks, though the acne would be small.

Then she wanted me to do 3 treatments of skin resurfacing 1540, for my scars. She said results could wary, but since i had young skin I should get really good results. Shes seen people with 60-80%. She showed me some before and after pictures they had on file.

She gave me a 15% discount on both packages (separately).

The prices (before disc) ALA $1299 / After $1104.15 (3 treatments)

resurfacing: $2500 / $2125 (3 Treatments)

I haven't booked the appt yet, but if i want to get the discount rate I have to by Thursday. The only downer is that I did not get accepted for the payment plan, which is through a capital one credit card, with a 1.99% APR. I would need to get a co-sign, but since my parents have no credit, that ruled that out for me.

I only have 2 credit cards, one with 1800 and one with 800. As of right now they are pretty charged up, but i got a check back from my school for the scholarship money i didnt use. So that will clear it all up.

Do you think its worth it? I want to go through with it, but other than the before and after pictures I have nothing to go on. I mean I have been going to a derma for years now, and i've seen improvement, but hes done no laser treatments, and doesn't seem like hes going to.

Don't do Mexico or something cheap--if anything gets screwed up it could be really hard or impossible to fix and you will regret it forever, for a measly few hundred/few thousand bucks. The prob with lasers and things is that it is possible for the situation to actually get worse than it originally was.

I'm from the Chicago area too. I realize your original post is from May 08, but hope you didn't decide to go thru with it at the Pure Med Spa.

Have you heard of Pam Zekman from Channel 2 news? well, she recently did an investigation on the Pure Med Spa, its not good... oh heck, just read this:

http://spavelous.com/spa-professional/2008...ving-treatment/

and this: http://cbs2chicago.com/local/scarred.pure.med.2.888173.html

If you are still interested, do a Google search..you will find tons of negative news on this place and their inexperienced staff burning people with their lasers.

I'm also from the Chicago area and recently had a consult at Versa Medispa in Barrington. This spa is connected with Van Dam Dermatology and Laser Center. Dr. Van Dam has been a dermatologist in the area for 30 years, and while I've never met with him I know he is very respected in the community.

Anyway, I was really impressed by the nurse/laser operator, Susan. She's been with Dr. Van Dam for 18yrs. They have 8 different lasers, one of them being the Palomar 1540, which I'm considering for acne scarring. I cannot comment on the effectiveness of this laser since I've not yet had the procedure, but if I do decide to go forward, I will definitely do it at Versa. It seems like they see a lot of acne scarring and she said there has never been a dis-satisfied acne scar patient. (Apparently, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation can sometimes be harder to treat.) Anyway, the cost for a package is $1,350 and it includes: 3 laser treatments, 1 IPL and 1 chemical peel.

And I also heard about the problems at PURE. Scary stuff. I think going to a medispa that's tied to a Dr.'s actual practice may help alleviate problems like that.

It seems like they see a lot of acne scarring and she said there has never been a dis-satisfied acne scar patient. (Apparently, wrinkles and hyperpigmentation can sometimes be harder to treat.) Anyway, the cost for a package is $1,350 and it includes: 3 laser treatments, 1 IPL and 1 chemical peel.

Don't get talked into it by the staff at the clinic .... they don't have anything to lose if the treat goes wrong. What are you going to do if after spending all this time & money - your results are : unchanged, very little progress, or even negative results? You are probably not going to sue them, and they know this.

I've had 3 IPL proceedure by Laser Genesis, and the "technician" who performed them doesn't know but I'm not happy with the results .... fat loss & ruined texture. I now get all dermatological procedures from a medical doctor who runs a practice - not a clinic. If you ask many of the people who've had negative experiences with laser treatments (and there are many on this forum alone), I'll bet less than half returned to their clinic to report their dissatisfaction. And it's very unlikely the clinic would advise you of these negative cases.

If I could offer the following advice:

1) Don't get your info from a clinic, get it from others who've had the procedure, and discuss results with them.

2) Don't pay for a "package" of treatments .... even if it saves you a few hundred dollars. Packages lock you into returning to that facility for further treatment, or make it very hard to have the remainder of your money returned if you decided to stop.

3) research the specific machine used for the results you hope to achieve. Also find out how long it's been on the market, how many generations the technology has had. Don't be someone's guinea pig.

Good Luck!