Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
roxy250

Digestive enzymes.

so i just bought Digestive enzymes today and tried it out for the first time with my dinner. I heard many good benefits about using natural digestive enzymes does anyone on here have any experience with them?

Hmmm well I stopped taking them because I think they were giving me a tummy ache... I'm not a huge fan.

It didn't work for me, I only stuck with it for like 2 weeks maybe. Gave me stomach problems and I could've swore that it gave me a couple of those small red bumps on my cheek and along my sideburn.

I took Digestive Enzymes for about a month. Probably helped a little in digestion but other than that I didnt find them too useful.

But its good to take them once in a while imo.

K

I take them. My digestive system sucks most of the time and the digestive enzymes help quite a bit. Also helps my skin, but hand-in-hand with what I'm eating, sleep, hormones, etc.

They might help if your acne is due to inflammation from poorly digested food. They didn't help me, though I still take pepsin and HCL since my naturopath prescribed it. If you find that they do help, consider supplementing with probiotics and avoid hard to digest foods (gluten, casein, soy and most other grains). Those are the proteins people typically have problems with. Probiotics also produce their own enzymes which should also help with digestion.

I'm not sure digestive enzymes are such a great idea unless you have a condition that requires them, or for instance if you eat a food that your digestive system finds hard to process (exp I am senstive to dairy and may take one if I slip up and have dairy on occassion). Besides this its more important to get your body doing that disgestion itself, and in the long run this may affect your acne more positively. Try drinking Chlorofresh Liquid Chlorophyll (mint flavored ;) in the AM with some fresh squeezed lemon juice. Or mix it in with some prune juice (if you can stand the taste) Either drink taken morning and night will aid in cleaning you out and helping you digest food properly. About two tablespoons or so of the Chlorofresh is all you need, with two tablespoons of lemon juice and some hot water. This method is cheap and if you do the one without the prune juice it actually tastes great. AVOID DAIRY! I've found it to be a big hindrance in the long run, to proper digestion.

Since we're on the subject of digestion, If you've ever taken an extended run of anti-biotics for acne, such as myself, then chances are you may have some digestive problems - a good quality pro-biotic is what you need. Digestive enzymes I'm not really to sure about, tried it, and I think they slightly improved my digestion but didn't for me at least see much in the way of results, so I stopped 'em.

Funny this thread came up again, I used to be all for digestive enzymes and I still think they do have their place in certain conditions; but in learning more about the digestive system in my anatomy class I'm not so sure long term or high doses are beneficial and may even be harmful (especially the proteolytic enzymes, they can really do a number on your stomach's mucosal lining). I do think more natural ones though like papain and bromelain are fairly safe and even beneficial but I'm not so sure I would advise buying digestive enzyme blends anymore, I do think they caused some stomach lining and intestinal damage in me but thankfully, I've overcome that.

A couple key things I've learned that got me over my digestive problems;

-CHEW WELL and TAKE YOUR TIME eating; as much as possible DO NOT RUSH your meals

-Don't be afraid of salt, but don't overdo it :P. Like everything in life, it's all about balance, salt helps stimulate digestion and a good sea salt is a great source of trace minerals as well as chloride (necessary for HCl production which is crucial in mineral absorption and protein digestion in particular)

-Get your gut bacteria in check; for a long time the probiotics I was using weren't helping me until I my chiropractor pointed out that in cases of bacterial imbalances, it's often the bifido bacteria that dominate the gut (which are also present in many of the probiotic blends) and so supplementing with typical probiotics may worsen your condition. I've been taken an lactobacillus blend and it's been smooth sailing ever since.