Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Im sure alot of people feel held back because of their acne, wanting to stay out of the spotlight and do their own thing. Now, I know alot of people who have acne and are totally outgoing with lots of friends, parties, etc. I had acne pretty bad and I felt it held me back on alot of aspects of life. Now that im clear, I feel like I have the confidence to do more things, but don't quite feel right. Can some people give some tips to introverts on how to break free? I know alot of people are naturally outgoing, but I feel more comfortable around close friends than acquaintances, and I cant quite build up enough confidence to talk to alot of people

I feel you. I suggest reading. If you always have something interesting to talk about, or something smart to chime in, you will feel more comfortable around people you don't know. For example did you know the real story behind Santa Clause is a mushroom? The very same mushroom was the catalyst for Alice in Wonderland. Theres tons of interesting stuff out there, the trick is to learn it.

Laughter is also a universal icebreaker. Dumb things like every fight's a food fight when your a cannibal, or there are no stupid questions, just stupid people.

Like they say Great minds discuss ideas. Average minds discuss events. Small minds discuss people.

Congrats on being clear now, I wish I was! :P

Well, you could get drunk but that only works in the short term.

I'm not very confident either but when faced with a situation where I have to talk to new people or talk in front of lots of people, I just say whatever comes naturally (without being completely random, of course!) and if they don't like me, well, it's not the end of the world! There's plently more people out there who I will get on with. Also, I just think to myself, what's the worst that's gonna happen if I talk to that guy or if I go to that bar tonight. I'm not gonna die or anything REALLY bad like that, so what's stopping me?

You should be out there showing off your clear skin. You just have to really push yourself but take it slowly. Force yourself to do something you normally wouldn't every day, like talk to a stranger or something like that and don't stay in all the time! Good luck! :)

yeah yo same here.. sometimes i think people help me.. and sometime i think they hinder my ability to examine myself in a real way.. like a distraction almost.. but i think working people into ure life in a way tha tu can appreciate is the first step.. like linking people.. and friendship.. to newfound appreciation.. cuz right now.. its linked to pain...

Congrats on being clear! :clap:

Yeeah I used to be pretty outgoing before I had acne.

I laughed a lot and loved the sun.

Now I'm too scared to look people in the eye when I talk to them and I always make excuses to stay inside the house when my friends ask me to go out with them. Damn natural lighting.

Sorry I can't offer you much advice, since I'm pretty much becoming a social hermit myself nowadays. =(

I'm just hoping to clear up before college, so I can start fresh, haha.

One more year to go...!

Get out of your comfort zone. Interacting with other people is a skill, you have to practice to get better. Strike up conversations with those you don't know at the party, with the cashier, with the person next to you on the bus - even though you know it's going to be awkward. There are no other ways to change yourself than to do what needs to be done, in this case it's talking to people you don't know.

Just do it.

Oh, just want to add another thing. I think it's great that you're looking to improve. Most people on here are complaining about how acne is "ruining their lives", while it's their mindset which destroys them. People use acne as en excuse for feeling sorry for themselves. Feeling sorry for yourself is the single dumbest thing you can do. For those of you who may feel offended by what I just wrote, go visit a hospital one day. You'll find 6 year old kids with life-threathening deseases, teenagers in wheelchairs and old, lonely persons with a hospital bed as their closest friend. I think you're pathetic.

I'd always been outgoing, then accutane and bad breakouts, which left me really kinda "depressed" (not in the medical sense, though) and almost shy. This was really no fun for me because it's not who I was. Now that I'm clear(ish) I have practically all of my confidence back. BUT in order to get back the "extroverted" me, I just had to let go of however my skin was looking (that's a big one) and get involved.

A good piece of advice my mom once told me was that "if you want to be popular, listen to other people and ask them questions about themselves - people LOVE to talk about themselves" and it's really true. Try that, and see how many people want to be your friend! Now don't take it to the extreme and never say anything about yourself, but first ask people about themselves and let the conversation flow. You'll find that it's actually not all that hard!

Good luck! :)

You just have to go out there and do it.

When I got clear, all I wanted to do was go out. I didn't feel held back at all. Quite the opposite.

In your case, I'd say go up town with a few friends. Go to the cinema etc. Just get used to the world and the freedom now afforded.

Jesus.

You still have your eyes. You still have your ears. You still have your tongue. You still have two arms, two legs, hair, fingers and toes. You people make it sound thlike acne makes you disabled from doing anything. It may be hard to look people in the face and know that they're thinking about your ugly skin, but get over it. What doesn't kill you make you stronger. Acne is a disadvantage, but that just makes self-improvement even more benefitial. Live a normal life. Go out with friends, go to the cinema, talk to people like you normally would. "Get used to the world"? Give me a fucking break.