Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
murfirhea

Aloe as a Hair Gel

Does anyone use aloe as a hair gel? Is there any hold? Does it weigh down your hair at all? I have fine hair and most styling products break out my scalp.

i am a big fan of aloe vera... i used it on my hair when it was short and would come in contact with my face. the aloe gel never broke me out. in fact i would put it on my face as a moisturizing aid/make up primer and it worked very well there too. it has a light hold on your hair though, which is why i eventually switched back to regular gel.

I'm using Fruit of the Earth's Aloe vera Gel as a hair gel as well and let me tell you it WORKS great in holding everything in place. Best thing is NO FLAKES and no fragrance which is what i don't like!!!

While I find Fruit of the Earth Aloe to be wonderful for my skin and scalp - no irritation - and it seems to heal some problems with my skin ... I do NOT find it does anything at all to hold my hair like a gel. I have a ton of very ultra fine hair - very long. I use it on my bangs, which are short, where I want some lift. It is as if I have used nothing when I try aloe as a hair gel. Sorry. But I love aloe for everything else under the sun. :) I find getting enough lift in my bangs has more to do with finding the proper conditioner than using a product - but I'm still on the hunt for a non-toxic gel or hair spray - or some home-made conconction. The best I've done so far was to mix a tiny bit of sugar with water and rubbed it into the root zone of my bangs - then dry with a blow dryer. It is a bit stiff feeling but it helps. Remember back in the 80's and 90's when big punk hair was the rage? They often used strong sugar solutions to spray and make their hair stiff. A little goes a VERY long way - and I'm not totally pleased with my tests far, but I thought I'd throw it out there as an idea. It definitely didn't irritate my skin.

ADDITION to my last post ....

Your question inspired me to try a slightly different approach - mixing aloe and sugar as a gel. I just did it 5 minutes ago - my hair was wet, I mixed about an inch long squirt of aloe with a TINY bit of sugar. (Dab my finger tip into sugar and whatever stuck to the tip of my finger is the amount I used - very small). Mix aloe and sugar in palm until no grains remain. Worked through roots of bangs to tips of bangs. Blow dried and styled with brush. It has a very nice loft. Looks and feels reasonably soft - with just enough tension to make it stand a little bit. (My hair like to flop flat). I'll find out how it holds up through the day - but preliminary look is good. (I'm pathetically sensitive to products so I often dabble in home made creations like this)