Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
likelyserendipity

Could it be my medications?

I think i have exhausted every possiblility for what could be causing my face to be breaking out. It honestly gets worse EVERY day that i wake up. I hate it, i hate the limitations i put on myself and how i punish myself (in a sense) and stay at home and don't embrace life like i used to. :*( How sad for me! :cry: So the derm. told me it is horomonal (I had come off my birth control months before it started happening) but i've been back on my meds for a while now. So why is it gettingworse? I have some other medical issues, and it seems like w/ every medication u take, another symtom follows which requires more medication...etc. So, here is a day in the life of me.

Wake up.

Take: Topamax 100mg

Keppra 500mg (both anti-seizure meds)

Yaz (BC for acne)

Doxycyclin (for acne)

2xs a day Dextrostat 10mg (A.D.D. medicine)

Night: Topamax 100mg

Keppra 500mg

Doxycyclin

Zoloft 50mg

I wash my face with Oil-Free Acne wash by nutrogena and i use oil of olay moisturiser. I WAS using Alpha Hydroxy Lotion...but i found it too harsh. Any advice? Or opinions? Please help!

Salicylic acid is a product to consider. The Paula's choice ones are my favorite. They're gently exfoliating and also anti-inflammatory at the same time. I thought of those right off as I know someone whose acne is also exacerbated by medications; the person also uses a Paula's Choice cleanser. The person's acne is slowly improving with the new regimen. Sucks that acne is a side effect for improving mental health!

You might want to switch to a different cleanser, something like Cetaphil as it is very gentle and pleasant for the skin. I'd also recommend washing with cool or warm water as hot water is very irritating and can lead to dryness, tight, itchy feeling skin. Jojoba oil or emu oil are very gentle moisturizers as well.

you know its funny you say that bc SA is actually in the cleanser i'm using now and its the only cleanser that has worked but i'm not crazy about it. I feel like the SA was the only thing i liked about it...bc its got a strong fragrance, and its bright orange and i don't know how that is good for my skin. So i looked up Paula's Choice...and there is a BILLION products i could purchase. Which ones do u recommend? There is a SA gel that i might could balance out with the oil you were talking about. But i might mention that i have VERY sensitive skin, that is not oily at all. I mean, i never have to put lotion on my body...if that tells you anything.

I have sensative skin too.

At the moment im using a combination on BP, retin-a and lymecycline tablets. The lymecyline tablets worked a while for me but now have worn off so you could give them a try.

Ive jsut started using BP in the morning and have high hopes for it from the results here and the fact it dosnt seem to be making my face extremley dry or red/sore which is more than I can say for retin-a which can make your skin red/sore.

The retin-a again worked well for my after a while but now it seems to bw wearing off.

But definatley give them a try.

Visit you local dermatolgist and inquire about IPL (intense pulse light) treatments. The are usually sold in a series of treatments and greatly improve you overall complex. These treatmenst are recommend twice a week for the next 5-6 weeks. Acne develops when the oil glands in the skin get clogged. This creates the right conditions for the acne bacteria to multiply and results in an infection (redness, swelling, soreness and pus). IPL is absorbed in the clogged gland which results in the formation of oxygen. The oxygen breaks down the bacteria.

There is also a device called the Tanda which is a home use LED device that will aid in acne reduction and breakouts. Tända Clear is a 414nM blue LED treatment that is scientifically proven to kill the Propionibacterium acnes (P.acnes) bacteria that causes mild to moderate acne. Used as part of your daily skin care routine the Tända Clear will help cure your existing blemishes as well as prevent future outbreaks. Retails for about $395.

i'm also on yaz. i've been on it for five months, and for the first four i was also on doxycycline 100mg twice a day. after those four months i was really frustrated by a lack of results - it seemed like my skin was just getting worse. so i called my gynecologist, who told me that antibiotics interact with birth control and can decrease its effectiveness. though doctors don't agree on this (i've heard a lot of different opinions) and studies are inconclusive, doxycycline is listed as one of the antibiotics most likely to interfere with yaz.

just thought i'd share.

also, if you have sensitive skin you should stop using the neutrogena oily free acne wash - i also have really sensitive skin and it made it dry and irritated, which ultimately just aggravated my acne.

oh wow...that is something to consider. Have things gotten better for you since you quit taking the antibiotic? I have stopped using Neutrogena, and switched to Paula's Choice, and I lOVE it. I am using the Cleanser, toner, and the 2%beta hydroxy acid. My skin had a bit of a breakout around my chin only b/c 1) it was "that time of the month" 2) i think the beta hydroxy acid allowed some of the acne to come to the surface. It's only been three days and i can see and FEEL a difference. :)

sorry it took me so long to respond!

to answer your question, i do think i've seen an improvement since i stopped taking the antibiotics. i'm still breaking out a little bit, but it feels like it's under control. i think birth control might just take longer to work for some people.

glad things seem to be going well for you! what's paula's choice? i always see it on these boards but i've never looked into it. i've always used aveeno products. i always feel tempted to use the neutrogena stuff, but even my dermatologist says she doesn't recommend their washes because they're so harsh.

sorry it took me so long to respond!

to answer your question, i do think i've seen an improvement since i stopped taking the antibiotics. i'm still breaking out a little bit, but it feels like it's under control. i think birth control might just take longer to work for some people.

glad things seem to be going well for you! what's paula's choice? i always see it on these boards but i've never looked into it. i've always used aveeno products. i always feel tempted to use the neutrogena stuff, but even my dermatologist says she doesn't recommend their washes because they're so harsh.