Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
carlosesca07

Anti-aging creams for a 22 y/o male?

Hi, i'm 22 years old and I have questions about wrinkles and aging.

I really want to keep my skin from wrinkling to much, as some of my friends at early age already have signficant expression lines and wrinkles in their faces, and for about 6 months i've been using anti-aging moisturizing creams on my face, for about a year I used a basic moisturizer/fine line prevention cream sparringly.

My doubt is, will this creams damage me on the long term? I've heard using anti aging creams at young age damages you, if so, am I already doomed?

I've only got faint expression marks on my forehead, around my mouth, and I have a very noticeable wrinkle under my eye, probably from sleeping on that side of my face, and If possible would like to erase it.

The creams i've used include Jack Black Moisturizer / Fine Line prevention cream, LAB series age rescue face lotion, age rescue eye theraphy and Aveeno "Positively Ageless" night cream (which i've found to be dreadful).

I've also used the "positively ageless" SPF Aveeno sunscreen, should I just use normal sunscreen?

I must mention that maybe i'm paranoid, but i've seen an increase in wrinkles and expression lines in the last 6 months....:(.

I know this is not directly ACNE related, but my paranoid started after my face got dry after using acutane!

Thanks a lot!

Starting anti-aging care earlier won't be a problem since the aging process starts in your twenties.

Just make sure the cream doesn't contain much oil. Most of the 'anti-aging' products are targetted to those who are in their 30, 40s and they are supposed to prefer 'rich' products.

I recommend you use good lightweight moisturiser which contains antioxidants, rather than using some products which claim to 'reduce fine lines' or named 'age rescue'. Comsmetics cannot do much on the wrinkles already on your face.

I don't think starting to early will destroy your face. I think good skin care is a great idea at any age. Maybe you need a really good moisturizer. I've heard good things about Cetaphil Cream (not the lotion). I actually thought about trying that one myself. A few of my friends like Olay Total Effects. I always wear sun screen, too. I'm very pale and I don't tan anyway.

Here's what you need to know about anti-aging (no offense but it really doesn't sound like you're well informed):

Dry skin does not cause wrinkles. However, sometimes dry skin is a symptom of the things that do cause wrinkles. It seems obvious your dry skin is from your accutane, so don't worry about it.

You might be wondering what does cause wrinkles; sun, pollutants, genetics, and aging (fat deposits - which fill out lines in your face - decrease and collagen breaks down).

So always ALWAYS wear sunscreen. Doesn't matter the weather or time of year, wear it!

I would use a product with Antioxidants to take care of damage caused by pollutants in the air (I like Netrogena Anti-Oxidant Age Reverse lotion, it has good scientific studies to back it up)

Also, use a lotion with AHAs to get rid of the dead, rough surface skin caused by skin damage. AHAs are proven to be very effective at this. Neutrogena also has a good one.

I use sunscreen, antioxidants, and AHAs in the morning. And at night I use a light lotion with a little bit of jojoba oil mixed in. My skin is loving it!

Oh also, retinoids work on a cellular level to improve damaged skin, but I read somewhere they can interfere with the effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide, so that's not worth it to me.

read these articles for a more in depth explanation:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=144

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=177

Thanks guys for all the info! I hope i get a good regimen for keeping me skin young :)

Also, how relaible are the products sold on the page? thanks!

I don't know about those particular products, but I know the source (Paula Begoun) is very reputable and many people on this forum trust her info, so I assume her products are also good! Good luck.

And I forgot to mention before, you should use an exfolliant or microdermabrasion regularly (at least once a week) to keep the surface layer of your skin fresh and functioning optimally. I don't think AHAs are quite enough.

Check out light therapy and using the Red lights those are supposed to be for anti againg lots of reviews and information on the net!!

You've had some good advice here. Katiedid covered the aspect of AHA's and Retinoid / Retinols that I was going to mention. Neither of those will age you - in fact, they will really prevent a lot of issues.

Don't be afraid of creams being heavy either. It is a myth that all oils should be avoided, also. My b/f who is now in his early 50's doesn't have a wrinkle to speak of. He's smooth as a baby's bottom. Why? Partly it could be genetics, but his siblings and parents were not graced with his skin. He started taking excellent care of his skin when he was in his late teens and early twenties when his room-mate at that time was a beautician and clued him in about how real men keep looking great. It worked for him. (He's a huge fan of coconut oil and cocoa butter to be precise) And it isn't that he's stayed out of the sun - because he can turn as brown as anyone and used to spend eons a day in direct sun for decades of his life.

So yes, take good care of your skin early. You will be rewarded.

Here's what you need to know about anti-aging (no offense but it really doesn't sound like you're well informed):

Dry skin does not cause wrinkles. However, sometimes dry skin is a symptom of the things that do cause wrinkles. It seems obvious your dry skin is from your accutane, so don't worry about it.

You might be wondering what does cause wrinkles; sun, pollutants, genetics, and aging (fat deposits - which fill out lines in your face - decrease and collagen breaks down).

So always ALWAYS wear sunscreen. Doesn't matter the weather or time of year, wear it!

I would use a product with Antioxidants to take care of damage caused by pollutants in the air (I like Netrogena Anti-Oxidant Age Reverse lotion, it has good scientific studies to back it up)

Also, use a lotion with AHAs to get rid of the dead, rough surface skin caused by skin damage. AHAs are proven to be very effective at this. Neutrogena also has a good one.

I use sunscreen, antioxidants, and AHAs in the morning. And at night I use a light lotion with a little bit of jojoba oil mixed in. My skin is loving it!

Oh also, retinoids work on a cellular level to improve damaged skin, but I read somewhere they can interfere with the effectiveness of benzoyl peroxide, so that's not worth it to me.

read these articles for a more in depth explanation:

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=144

http://www.cosmeticscop.com/learn/art.asp?ID=177

I'm using Green Cream and BP, my skin has never looked better. Don't knock it before you try it.

and they only cancel out BP if you use them at the same time... using one in the morn and one at night is perfect

Although I dont want to sound like the kind of member who believes that food is the panacea of ALL problems anyone could POSSIBLY go through... (I love creams and pills too!)

Don't forget that in addition to a good skin care regime, you will need to follow it up with a well balanced diet, and an exercise programme - all of which help to keep you looking young!!

Also it can depend alot on your ethnicity. Some of the girls at work like to brag to the caucasians that "black don't crack" lol. Bastards!

At your age, you dont need anything more than an SPF.