Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CC00

Extractions question

Do they hurt bad?

I got one done and it hurt badly.. felt like she was poking a needle into my skin everytime she extracted.. is this normal?

Yes, your derm is doing right. Everytime I have my pimples extracted, I go like, God what have I done to deserve this???... :dance:

I think it's because they do it on SOMEONE ELSE'S face, not on theirs. They simply can't control the strength to the right amount of power, so they use their maximum strength... :badgrin:

I misread this thread title and thought it said "Erection question." I almost told you that you were at the wrong doctor for the wrong reason. :shifty:

Yes, it can hurt. Just like any treatment for the skin. But the pain or discomfort is temporary, as per usual.

I ask because my extractions hurt and now my pores are larger than they were before I went in. I am NOT exaggerting! :(

Extractions can hurt, but they shouldn't be extremely painful. If the practitioner is extracting a blackhead or closed comedone, there should be almost no pain. I don't think most estheticians should be messing with inflamed lesions, though.

The pore size can be stretched if it has been filled with gunk for a long time. If you incorporate a home care regimen that will help reduce pore clogging, along with regular visits for extractions, you should note an appearance of smaller pores (note that the pores will not be smaller, they'll just appear that way as there isn't all that gunk in them).

Having said all the above, how experienced is your esthetician with acne prone skin? Someone who is inexperienced is more likely to cause pain and push too hard and that is NOT good for the skin. Someone who doesn't understand acne-prone skin just will not be that good and could even make your skin worse.

Also moving this to mild to moderate acne forum as this isn't related to light/laser treatments.

Wynne- So can extractions done incorrectly cause my pores to enlarge?

Here is whole story: I am 22-years-old.

On March 17, 2008 I went to get a Salicylic Acid Peel (20%). I also got

extractions where she squeezed out blackheads, etc.

I didn't notice a difference in my blackheads or anything, but

I did notice a difference in one thing. My pores seemed to be

enlarged after the procedure. Extremely. I have never complained

about my pores in the past, I

always felt lucky and satisfied with them. There is a big difference

now and I am so unhappy.

I thought if anything, my pores would change for the better, not for

the worse. I have tried speaking to the lady who did the procedure

but she is not very nice about talking to me about my concern with my

pore enlargement. So I feel stuck.

I have tried a lot of remedies from online (using Vitamin C,

exfoliating, etc). Nothing has seemed to change. I completely

understand pore size is genetic, that they don't change in size but

just appearance, and that they can enlarge with age. My pores have

definitely enlarged after this procedure due to something else.

P.S. When she was doing the extractions, she pushed extremely hard, I

do not know if that could have caused anything.

For financial reasons and for the sake of convenience, I've had extractions done at a (good!) school for cosmetology and esthiology. They've never hurt me, and I think it's because they're still being incredibly careful, since they're just learning, and an instructor is breathing down their neck grading them while they're doing it. On the down side, I think they're conservative about what they extract. They don't seem to extract everything they could. Of course, you sign a disclaimer when you come in for a reason: These people are NOT licensed and have very LITTLE actual experience. Let them poke you at your own risk.

i've had an extraction..

well, an extraction is when they stick a needle to your face, and push something out, right?

it technically wounded my skin and scabs formed a day or two after. the scabs/marks cleared up in around two weeks.

yeah, they are pretty painful in my experience and then y face would look like garbag for a few days afterwards.

My derm tried to do an extraction on me once, he used a topical anaesthetic first. Turned out it wasn't what he expected, so he froze it off instead, hehe.

In my experience, extractions are great for preventing clogged pores from turning into full blown pimples. If i get an existing pimple extracted it also heals much faster than it would have if I let it just go away on its own. The key is finding someone who has experience treating acne prone skin - don't just get them done at any ole day spa.