Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
michael26

questions about dosage

hello everyone.

i have reading/ visiting a lot since starting my clavaris.

i have noticed that most ppl are only taking their doses once a day.

...and that it seems kinda low compared to mine.

(okay so i'm gonna tell you my weight... no laughing)

i'm 5'6" and 135 pounds and my derm has me taking 40mg twice a day.

is that a lot? i'm feeling fine. (did have a hypotension scare but was due to cymbalta)

only side effects i dry lips and burn a little easier in sun/ tanbed.

i appreciate everyone's advice and support! you all rock!

I'm 120lbs and take 50mg once a day. I think I may get bumped up to 60mg next wednesday but not sure, I don't understand the whole dosage thing, does it depend on how bad your skin was to start with? My acne was mild to moderate but there was a lot of it!

Sorry no advice but more questions!

it depends on your body weight and the severity of your skin. also if you have no serious side effects, your dermatologist may increase your dosage.

the general rule is 1mg of isotretinoin for 1kg of body weight. I am about 145 pounds or 66 kilograms, so i should be taking something like 60mg (30mg twice) daily, or 80mg if my acne is more severe.

however i have read that lower dosage have been successful as well, and decrease the likelihood of side effects.

So if I weigh 102 lbs that means only 46 mg of accutane doesn't that seem really low?

I'm 5'5", 120 lbs, and only taking 20mg twice a day--My doctor said that that's what they do with most patients, at least initially.

Mine said that your weight was used to determine your total dosage, not how much you get per day. For instance, someone on a higher daily dose would reach their total dose faster than someone taking a lower amount each day. Seems like a lot of the doctors start with a lower daily dosage, and then increase it over time.

And tanning beds aren't good for you any time, but particularly not while on Accutane!! It's better to be extra careful, and use sunless tanners for now. The clear skin won't look as good if its covered in scars from skin cancer.

Just to let you know i used a tanning bed last time i was on accutane 4 years ago and i still have the scars from it, honestly my skin has never gone back to normal it was the worst thing i could have done as i was trying to cover the red marks by getting a tan, bad idea! trust me if you can hold off until you are off the tane and its out of your system you wont regret it.

I don't think that your dosage is low at all. I had cystic nodular acne that wasn't sever but when they came on they stuck around for a good week or two and I was only put on 40 mg for 6 months and I stand 6'0 and weigh 165. I completed my course almost a month ago now and my skin is near perfect. Sure, I still get a small zit once in a while but not even comparable to the ones pre-tane.

I have read a lot of the posts not only on here but various other sites and it seems that lower doses work just as effectively and negate many of the harsh side effects. Just stick it out and if it doesn't work you can always get a higher dosage but I wouldn't rush out the door for one as it may do harm than good and make your course that much more uncomfortable.