Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Literally the second that I heard that caffiene may be the cause of my acne, I threw out the cappuchino I had been drinking at that moment and haven't touched coffee or soda in the three weeks since. My face ALMOST seemed to clear up at first, but by the end of the week, I was breaking out worse than ever before. I now have a nasty cyst under my left eye, and on my shoulder (I've NEVER had cysts on my shoulders before, hadn't had any cysts at all in months), I even have a pimple between my fingers...?! o.o;

Some quick facts to note:

I am female, and have a lot of hormonal acne. (Could it be the hormonal shift, from suddenly going cold turkey on caffiene? If so...would it get better in time?)

I've just recently started using Head and Shoulders shampoo. (Could this alone be making it worse?)

I don't know. I'm at my wit's end now. I don't know what else to do.

H& S is supposed to be beneficial. Perhaps it is the cold turkey effect... Maybe you should have cut down your caffeine intake slowly? I know I felt horrible when I cut out caffeine, can't remember if I broke out because of that specifically (there are sooo many things -_-)

Maybe you should go have a small cup but without milk...

Hmm, or maybe it is because your skin hasn't caught up with your body...

My guess is that it's the cold turkey thing too - possibly a detox or an "IB" situation?

it could also be that caffiene assists in metabolising foods. Now you arn't getting that extra assistance.

Some people say that green tea helps their skin, why don't you try that instead of coffee?

It's a milder caffeine content, and it's good for you. You could be having a detox reaction to

going off coffee. Did you get migraines when you stopped?

Some people say that green tea helps their skin, why don't you try that instead of coffee?

It's a milder caffeine content, and it's good for you. You could be having a detox reaction to

going off coffee. Did you get migraines when you stopped?

It was just yesterday I read that caffeine (I think specifically coffee) may increase SHBG (the hormone that the liver makes to bind to sex hormones). If you have hormonal acne, it is entirely possible that quitting coffee reduced your SHBG and allowed for more free testosterone to lead to more break outs. Its *possible*, I'm not saying this is what happened. Unfortunately, even if this is what happened, I don't have any answers as to how to remedy the situation. (sorry)

(side note: a "pimple" between your fingers shouldn't be related. I don't even think there are oil glands there...must be something unrelated I think)

It was just yesterday I read that caffeine (I think specifically coffee) may increase SHBG (the hormone that the liver makes to bind to sex hormones). If you have hormonal acne, it is entirely possible that quitting coffee reduced your SHBG and allowed for more free testosterone to lead to more break outs. Its *possible*, I'm not saying this is what happened. Unfortunately, even if this is what happened, I don't have any answers as to how to remedy the situation. (sorry)

(side note: a "pimple" between your fingers shouldn't be related. I don't even think there are oil glands there...must be something unrelated I think)

it could also be that caffiene assists in metabolising foods. Now you arn't getting that extra assistance.

Caffeine is estrogenic. I didn't know about the SHBG though. May be why the Red Bull was helping me so much back in the day. But at the same time, caffeine encourages inflammation, so for some people caffeine makes their skin worse, and for others it makes it better, depending on the primary reason for your acne in the first place.

Isn't it true that coffee controls blood sugar? I know I break out a lot less when Im regularly drinking coffee. Of course i either drink it black or with cinnamon or stevia.