Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Principal_Pimp_el

One more for the BP/free radical talk

OK:

1) BP releases oxygen, which kills P.acnes bacteria while also generating free radicals; AND

2) P.acnes thrives in anaerobic (w/o oxygen) environments, such as our clogged, acne-prone skin.

Thus:

a) the BP is merely replacing the oxygen that can't get into our clogged pores (but that does get into the pores of those without acne-prone skin) AND;

b) the BP is not creating any extra free radicals - it allows our pores to get as much oxygen (and oxygen free radical damage :)) as those without acne-prone skin.

This is simplistic, I know, but maybe someone more knowledgeable can comment. Thanks.

FYI: I have used BP -usually 5-10%- regularly (2x/day) for about 10-11 of the 13+ years I have had acne, and I have yet to notice any permanent damage. I'm in my late twenties and I have no premature wrinkles, etc., so it makes me wonder about all the premature aging claims. *BTW, what is considered premature aging - 20s, 30s?* I have experienced the temporary "wrinkling" around my eyes when I overdo it and dry out my skin, but these are not real wrinkles and they aren't permanent. Wrinkling is a rarity in my family (both sides) despite lack of sunscreen use and living in a tropical climate, and I'm thinking genetics is the biggest factor affecting wrinkling. But who knows, maybe the wrinkling will appear in my early thirties.

Guest jff1986

BP only briefly releases oxygen, then it converts into benzoic acid (so I've read). It doesn't cause premature aging/cancer/etc.