Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I wanted to wait a while before I posted about this b/c it seems like the other things I thought were working only lasted around 4 months. This has been working for 7 months and still counting. This didn't just "help", it cleared me. I haven't been on acne.org in ages, but I want to help anyone I can so I'm back to post this topic. My advice is FREE and the method is simple and very inexpensive. After two months, my sisters demanded to know what I'd been doing with my skin. Not only am I completely clear after 15 years of acne, but my skin is even pretty now. My sister, who has struggled with acne too, immediately dropped her routine and followed mine to a T. We have both noticed that we don't even break out on our TOTM anymore. Here it is: I've been using baking soda. I had used it before, but not in this way. 7 months ago, I started washing my face with only baking soda, and nothing else, twice a day. It took my face about 2 weeks to get used to it - I had to learn how to do it gently enough to not over-do it. Don't press hard and don't do it for more than 30 seconds or so. I wet my face and pour some dry baking soda into my hand (about a teaspoon and a half). Or, sometimes, I wet the baking soda in my hand and apply the "soup" to my wet face. I can't believe it took me all these years to find this method. I had used baking soda before - like a couple times a week or once a week, but it hadn't helped when I used it that way. I don't know why I decided one day to just replace my facial wash with it - but I'm so happy that I did. My face cleared up more every day and I think it was completely clear in less than 2 months. My sister cleared up in only a few weeks. We both also lightly moisturize our entire faces with rose-hip seed oil. I have to say that I believe this is what makes my face go beyond clear to pretty. I put a few drops on my palm and rub it between both palms then pat my face with it. I ordered it online. You might want to research rose-hip seed oil. I am allergic to sunscreen, so when I go outside, I use big glasses and a wide-brimmed hat. My sister uses sunscreen and doesn't have a problem with it. I only have to use a little makeup to fill in the shadows of my scars. I can't help but wonder if I'd even have scars had I discovered this simple method years ago (plus, think of all the money I could have saved that I wasted on acne products).

I really hope this helps others.

I think I am gonna add this to my regime. I have used soda as a spot treatment but never as a mask or a cleanser. I tried it just 20 min ago. Just a lil amount, trying to use it as gentle as it possible and I have noticed how fast it made some of my pores purge.

But how did it work on your scars and red marks? Because I have plenty of those. And like 2 zits. ;)

I have/am using Baking Soda and back In March I was completely clear with it but then I missed using ti for two days and I got back to house-sitting and my face completely broke out.

I havent been able to get it that clear again but I think it might have something to do with my hard water, because when I was house-sitting the house had city water while my house has well water.

And so I am going to blame it on that.

Before I was also using it as a mask that I would wear for a long time, and that worked well (although it hardly ever burned and I dont know if I should take that as a bad sign or not because it hardly ever burns -- Am I doing something wrong?)

And I was using it in my cleanser but I think I am going to start using your way with just water although I will use a cleanser beforehand to get rid of make-up residue -- mild cleanser of course.

Uhm, I guess thats about all I have to say.. I really hope this works.

CONGRATS! Super-duper news. I have never used Baking Soda - I have worried that it would betoo abrasive for my exteremely sensitive skin - but, if all else fails, I will certainly try this method.

Romey,

Congrats on your success! Do you mind if I ask what time of skin/acne that you had? Was it oily/dry? Did you have whiteheads/blackheads/pustules/etc.? How many at a given time?

Thanks!

Congrats on findin wat works for you!

Thank you. I know that any acne regimen is not a "one-size-fits-all" deal. This just happened to be the one that helped me, so I hope it will help someone else.

I think I am gonna add this to my regime. I have used soda as a spot treatment but never as a mask or a cleanser. I tried it just 20 min ago. Just a lil amount, trying to use it as gentle as it possible and I have noticed how fast it made some of my pores purge.

But how did it work on your scars and red marks? Because I have plenty of those. And like 2 zits. ;)

I would say that it has faded my scars (and I think the red marks just naturally faded without repeated acne break-outs), but I still have scars. However, last summer, my scars were more noticable than they are now. My friend told me last week that they are not noticable, but I still fill them in with a little makeup. I don't put foundation makeup all over my face though - just on the shadows of my scars.

I have/am using Baking Soda and back In March I was completely clear with it but then I missed using ti for two days and I got back to house-sitting and my face completely broke out.

I havent been able to get it that clear again but I think it might have something to do with my hard water, because when I was house-sitting the house had city water while my house has well water.

And so I am going to blame it on that.

Before I was also using it as a mask that I would wear for a long time, and that worked well (although it hardly ever burned and I dont know if I should take that as a bad sign or not because it hardly ever burns -- Am I doing something wrong?)

And I was using it in my cleanser but I think I am going to start using your way with just water although I will use a cleanser beforehand to get rid of make-up residue -- mild cleanser of course.

Uhm, I guess thats about all I have to say.. I really hope this works.

My sister and I agree that it takes our makeup off, but I don't see that it would hurt to use a mild cleanser before using the baking soda (I just wanted to keep my routine as simple as possible, plus I don't wear a lot of heavy makeup). I think the burning comes from rubbing it too much into your face while it is wet. If you were just using it as a mask, it probably didn't burn b/c you were not rubbing it. I think the gentle exfoliating of baking soda is what actually helps as opposed to some chemical property of it. I rinse it off immediately and don't let it sit on my face. Also, if it starts to burn, then that is not a good thing, and you just need to adjust your pressure or your time rubbing. I really hope this method helps you too.

At any point did you use bp along with baking soda?

No. Never.

CONGRATS! Super-duper news. I have never used Baking Soda - I have worried that it would betoo abrasive for my exteremely sensitive skin - but, if all else fails, I will certainly try this method.

My other sister has to be very careful with it b/c her skin is sensitive. She only uses it every other day or once a day. She really doesn't have acne like our other sister and I do, so she just does it to make her skin pretty. I'd say that if you just worked with it for a week or so, you could find the right amount of pressure and time that works for you. It took me a while to figure out how much was too much. However, this may not work for everyone since everyone's skin is different. I hope you find what works for you.

Romey,

Congrats on your success! Do you mind if I ask what time of skin/acne that you had? Was it oily/dry? Did you have whiteheads/blackheads/pustules/etc.? How many at a given time?

Thanks!

At the time that I started this routine, I had whiteheads in what seemed like every single pore on my cheeks and chin. Blackheads on my nose. And every month (TOTM) I would get anywhere from 3 to 5 pustules. I will say that my blackheads are still there, but not noticable. The only way I see them now is when I allow myself to squeeze my nose once a month. It used to be that a lot would come out, but not so much anymore. My sister says the same thing about her blackheads.

I started getting acne when I was 13 or 14. It was very severe from the time I was 16 to my mid twenties. I had pustules everywhere and boils. I had it on my face, arms, and my back all the way to the back of my legs. I'm not kidding - it was aweful. I don't know how many days of school I missed or how many tears I cried over this through the years. I've been on prescribed meds (except for Accutane) and probably every OTC. By my late 20's, I didn't have as many pustules and boils, but my face was bumpy with whiteheads everywhere.

My sister had some pretty bad flare-ups around her jaw line when she started this routine a few months ago. They looked like small boils to me. And she had pustules on the front of her cheeks as well as blackheads on her nose and chin. She cleared up faster than I did with this routine.

I'm sorry, but I forgot to mention that I also use a pineapple mask once a week. I do not think this is what clears me, b/c I was already clearing with the baking soda when I started it, but I want to add that I use the mask b/c I want to be totally open and honest here. I just use the mask b/c it seems to give me a glow. I use a fresh piece of pineapple (or frozen chunk that I thaw) but never pineapple juice from a bottle b/c the enzymes get killed in the pasturization process and the enzymes are what exfoliate skin. I crush up the pineapple and smear it over my face and leave it on for 20 minutes b/f washing it off with baking soda. Again, I only do this once a week. My sister does NOT use the pineapple mask. She just uses the baking soda face washing twice a day.

Romey- very interesting post, I have tried baking soda masks on occasion in the past, and I have always wanted to try using it as an everyday cleanser. A couple questions:

1. Do you use any other soap or cleanser or just BS + Water?

2. Do you have problems with dry/flaky skin, and does this make it worse?

3. Have you ever used an aspirin mask? That is pretty much my favorite exfoliator, and I was wondering how this compared...

Thank you.

Romey- very interesting post, I have tried baking soda masks on occasion in the past, and I have always wanted to try using it as an everyday cleanser. A couple questions:

1. Do you use any other soap or cleanser or just BS + Water?

2. Do you have problems with dry/flaky skin, and does this make it worse?

3. Have you ever used an aspirin mask? That is pretty much my favorite exfoliator, and I was wondering how this compared...

Thank you.

I do not use any other cleanser or soap. Just baking soda and water. I feel that it takes my makeup off just fine too, but I don't wear much makeup. I'm not sure if the effect would be different if someone used a cleanser as well b/c I never do. I'm guessing that it wouldn't hurt to use a cleanser too. I just find that it's not necessary.

I remember that the day I started baking soda, I was just fed up with everything and wanted something totally simple and that fit into my budget a little better than the cleansers and medications I was buying.

I don't have problems with dry/flaky skin. I think I have had patches of dry skin around my mouth before and ofcourse I had flaky skin when I was on acne medications. I don't have any problems with flaky dry skin these days so I guess the baking soda doesn't cause that.

I have never used the aspirin mask b/c when I was about to try it, I read something on the internet that said it was potentially dangerous as the aspirin absorbs into skin and enters the body's internal system. I'm not sure how true that is, but I figured "better safe than sorry."

I don't use the baking soda as a mask. Just a face wash. Hope this helps some.

wow i think i will try this, does this baking soda Clear your face like smooth and good looking and it fades scars?

ive used proactiv, clean and clear, been taking vitamin A, C Zinc and B-50 complex.

baking-soda solves it all???

This will be my fourth day of using it. It takes the dead skin off the face really well!

It makes my skin feel so soft. Romey haow long did it take to dry up any pimples u had????

well, I read this earlier, like 2 days ago..

I tried it and was amazed at how it removes oil!..

I was "alkalizing" or whatever, but i felt illish, I took too much, eww!

I'm ordering those pH pee papers to see where my pH levels at.. if I need to add more alkaliing foods or not...

But I just now tried this and didn't add a moisturizor... my skin doesn't feel "tight" at all.. wow... and it feels clean and not oily at all what-so-ever..

I usually put some olive oil and let it soak in for the blackheads. but I didn't have time for it, but I did use it earlier and did the baking soda + soap and it removed all of it.. but put moisturizor on after. I looked pretty good I thought.

But for now on, I might just use this only, no moisturizer or soaps...

I did order rose hip seed oil just as a precaution... It's said to be healing and yada yada.. So since baking soda doesn't dry skin, I can prolly use 1-2 drops..

It's $9-10 at vitacost.com for the oil (it's so small, not even an oz. for that price, can find a whole oz. for $5 + shipping) and $0.45c-0.65c for the baking soda at a store, + $5 gas, just kiddin.. but maybe not... lol.

reason i'm buying from vita for it is because I'm ordering a lot of other stuff and shipping still $5

today is day 2 for me on this. so far, i like what i see. i've noticed a difference oil production, that's for sure. i've also noticed the one pimple i had on my chin (which i recently popped) has begun to heal and flake off with nothing new underneath. not sure if this the BS working or what i was using beforehand. but, i'm going to keep up with this regimen and hopefully i'll have the same result. for a moisturizer i use Olay Complete All Day Oil Free for Sensitive Skin.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!! thanks for sharing BTW.....

wow i think i will try this, does this baking soda Clear your face like smooth and good looking and it fades scars?

ive used proactiv, clean and clear, been taking vitamin A, C Zinc and B-50 complex.

baking-soda solves it all???

Yes, my husband is constantly saying how soft and smooth my skin is - AND I HAVEN'T HAD SMOOTH SKIN SINCE BEFORE I WAS A TEENAGER! :) I think my scars are less noticable - my friend from college recently told me that she can't even see them. I wouldn't say it's a scar solution though. It mainly just clears up the skin from acne.

For me, baking soda did solve it all (atleast in the way that I use it). I hope it helps others too.

This will be my fourth day of using it. It takes the dead skin off the face really well!

It makes my skin feel so soft. Romey haow long did it take to dry up any pimples u had????

I don't know that it "dries" up pimples. I think it just exfoliates skin that doesn't exfoliate properly on its own. I don't remember how long it took before I was totally clear. I think a month or two. My sister cleared up in just weeks, though.

I do remember that it took my skin about 2 weeks to get used to the routine as I was finding the correct pressure to apply and amount of time to wash that was right for my skin.

Any updates to this?

Well, I'm still using it and still clear and so is my sister. I would like to hear if anyone else is having success. I know it may take a while though.

well, I read this earlier, like 2 days ago..

I tried it and was amazed at how it removes oil!..

I was "alkalizing" or whatever, but i felt illish, I took too much, eww!

I'm ordering those pH pee papers to see where my pH levels at.. if I need to add more alkaliing foods or not...

But I just now tried this and didn't add a moisturizor... my skin doesn't feel "tight" at all.. wow... and it feels clean and not oily at all what-so-ever..

I usually put some olive oil and let it soak in for the blackheads. but I didn't have time for it, but I did use it earlier and did the baking soda + soap and it removed all of it.. but put moisturizor on after. I looked pretty good I thought.

But for now on, I might just use this only, no moisturizer or soaps...

I did order rose hip seed oil just as a precaution... It's said to be healing and yada yada.. So since baking soda doesn't dry skin, I can prolly use 1-2 drops..

It's $9-10 at vitacost.com for the oil (it's so small, not even an oz. for that price, can find a whole oz. for $5 + shipping) and $0.45c-0.65c for the baking soda at a store, + $5 gas, just kiddin.. but maybe not... lol.

reason i'm buying from vita for it is because I'm ordering a lot of other stuff and shipping still $5

I got mine at Mountain Rose Herbs online. 8 ounces of quality, cold-pressed, rose hip seed oil for only like $16. This was a huge savings b/c before I had bought some at Wild Oats for $14. and it was less than an ounce and not even that great quality.

Hope you are still like the baking soda. It took my face about 2 weeks to get used to it.

today is day 2 for me on this. so far, i like what i see. i've noticed a difference oil production, that's for sure. i've also noticed the one pimple i had on my chin (which i recently popped) has begun to heal and flake off with nothing new underneath. not sure if this the BS working or what i was using beforehand. but, i'm going to keep up with this regimen and hopefully i'll have the same result. for a moisturizer i use Olay Complete All Day Oil Free for Sensitive Skin.

i'm keeping my fingers crossed!!!! thanks for sharing BTW.....

Someone else mentioned that they saw an oil decrease, but if I remember right, I seemed to have an oil increase at first (for a couple weeks) and then it stopped and now my skin is normal. I chalked the initial increase up to the fact that I was unclogging pores so the oil was free to come out or maybe it was just my skin getting used to the new regimen. Anyway, like I said, my oil production is normal these days. Before this "regimen", I had always had skin that was too oily - my boyfriend in high school said he'd never seen anyone with skin as oily as mine was. Nice guy, huh? :)

Hope this works for you as it has for me and my sister.