Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hello5

Roaccutane log. Male, 75kg, 30mg. Moderate acne.

HI all. I'm a newbie here, but a long time lurker. I started roaccutane on Tuesday the 29th of April.

I'm a 21 year old male. I weigh 75kg and my dosage is 30mg per day. The derm is starting me on a low dose to minimise the side effects.

I have moderate acne on my forehead, back and chest.

I regret not taking roaccutane sooner, but I was always scared of the side effects.

I'm hoping that I will be clear by the end of my treatment. I will update my log on a weekly basis.

Wish me luck!! :surprised:

Hi! And good luck with your way to clearness^^

I guess your way is gonna be very smooth 'cause of the low start dose :P

Cheers,

Zech

Hi! And good luck with your way to clearness^^

I guess your way is gonna be very smooth 'cause of the low start dose :P

Cheers,

Zech

You sound just like me. I'm around your weight, I regret not taking it sooner, and I also started in April.

Best of luck!

Week 1

Ok, I'm a day early, but I won't be able to get to a computer tomorrow so I'm giving my first update now instead!

The dose is 30mg per day.

My skin is beginning to dry slightly around my chin, lips and nose.

My scalp is a bit itchy and I feel like my face is turning slightly red (although I might be just paranoid about side effects!).

Still got quite a few spots and red marks on my forehead, although one whitehead which appeared last night had completely dried up by this morning. That was unusual, my whiteheads normally take 3 or 4 days to go away.

Not really much else to report, absolutely no change on my back or chest.

Hopefully by the end of the treatment I will be able to look back at this log and feel amazed at the progress.

I regret not taking tane sooner too. Once my acne started when I was 13, I knew it was gonna get even worse as I get older. I had to go through the millions of topicals and antibiotics that didn't work until I was able to get Accutane but I feel the intermediate steps were so worth it now that I am on tane! But sometimes I think back and realize if I had researched more on accutane back then and acne in general, I may have avoided suffering from it during my highschool years =/

haha and good idea on updating on a weekly basis..I started my log doing daily updates and it just made the days pass by really slow.

Good luck on your course! I hope you end up clear =)

DAY 18

Wow, seems like I've been on this longer than 18 days.

No real progress in week two, I got a bit frustrated with things.

There were a few pimples, slightly inflamed. They came up in places where I have had bumps under my skin for years, so its great that they have finally gone now :dance:

No whiteheads since week 1, and any whiteheads I've had cleared up within 12 to 24 hours, and they didn't leave any red marks either!

Week 3 has seen a sudden improvement.

The blackheads on my nose are much smaller and I can feel them almost ''raising'' up from my skin. I popped some of them today and they just slid right out.

No whiteheads at all.

No pimples.

Red marks on my forehead from previous spots but they are fading!!

Skin is clear and is in good shape.

There has only been slight improvement on my back and chest but I'm very hopeful after seeing the improvement on my face.

Side effects:

- Itchy scalp and dandruff.

- Occassionally moody.

- Can get tired quicker than I normally would.

- Very dry lips, and last week I got a HUGE coldsore which may have been caused by cracking lips. Although I have been stressed (for work reasons) recently. And I was outside in the sun a lot as well. I'm informed that stress and the sun are the major causes of coldsores so it may have had nothing to do with the 'tane.

- Been out in the sun quite a bit, I'm burning much easier than I normally would, even on places like my arms. The burning isn't severe but I will be wearing sunscreen anymore!!

Overall I'm quite happy with everything so far. I'm hoping it will continue to work on my back and chest.

Patience is my biggest problem, I keep having to remind myself that I'm only two weeks into a 6 month course!

Hope this of some help to someone out there.

UPDATE WEEK 5

Had an outbreak a day after my last post :wall:

It would have been ok except I picked them and wrecked my skin.

At the min I have one big messy one on my forehead and a few ones that are just drying out.

Side effects have remained the same.

I saw the derm last tuesday and she has bumped me up to 50mg from 30mg. Then I will be bumped up to 75mg for three months.

I am kinda shocked to be given such a high dose as my acne is only moderate. The derm said that it is better to finish the treatment as quick as possible so I guess i will have to trust her.

I was a bit discouraged because of the most recent breakout but she was really supportive and she said not to worry, that the 'tane will DEFINITELY work. I was reassured by her confidence.

She did say that I could decrease the dose myself if I was finding the side effects to be intolerable.

The main thing I am worried about is a major flare up. It can be hard staying positive when you are not seeing visible progress.

UPDATE WEEK 7

I cleared comlpetely in week 6, then I got a bad breakout and it still hasn't gone away.

It can get incredibly frustrating at times and I'm struggling to be patient.

New Side effects

-Two nosebleeds

-Extremely dry skin on shoulders and arms; I think I have got a rash.

The blackheads on my back are clearing up. My shoulders have seen no improvement. Chest has not improved (but there is not much acne there anyway).

Nose is clear, neck has maybe 3 pimples, and my forehead is still as bad as ever.

Derm appointment on monday- its coming just at the right time, because I'm very frustrated and discouraged at the minute.

I'm sorry things suck right now. :( You still have a long way to go, though... it's just a waiting game, I guess. Hopefully the improvement will really start up soon!

UPDATE WEEK 7

I cleared comlpetely in week 6, then I got a bad breakout and it still hasn't gone away.

It can get incredibly frustrating at times and I'm struggling to be patient.

New Side effects

-Two nosebleeds

-Extremely dry skin on shoulders and arms; I think I have got a rash.

The blackheads on my back are clearing up. My shoulders have seen no improvement. Chest has not improved (but there is not much acne there anyway).

Nose is clear, neck has maybe 3 pimples, and my forehead is still as bad as ever.

Derm appointment on monday- its coming just at the right time, because I'm very frustrated and discouraged at the minute.

Hey... thanx for stopping by my blog... what about red marks??? arent you filled with them???

for me thats the worst part... best of luck!!!!

Sebastian.

My red marks aren't too bad. There are definitely some marks, but nothing major. Its the active pimples that are annoying me the most.

Ok so I'm still not clear. But My back has seen major improvements.

My face is looking better except every 8 or 9 days, my forehead gets a few big red pimples. The breakouts are not that bad, but the pimples are always red and inflamed. Very very frustrating.

I have approx 4 to 5 weeks left on the drug. I'm worried that I won't be clear by the end of the treatment.

Ok so I'm still not clear. But My back has seen major improvements.

My face is looking better except every 8 or 9 days, my forehead gets a few big red pimples. The breakouts are not that bad, but the pimples are always red and inflamed. Very very frustrating.

I have approx 4 to 5 weeks left on the drug. I'm worried that I won't be clear by the end of the treatment.

it also keeps working after u get off of it...

i think it's because it's built up in ur system so much.

i'm glad that u have seen some improvement.

;) stay strong and keep us updated.

Hi guys. Just a quick update. I have finished my treatment and I am acne free.

This was basically what happened-

May 08 - July 08 : 20mg, then 50mg, then 75mg (the derm bumped me up every few weeks). I had to stop because my liver enzymes were too high.

September 08 : I restarted the treatment at the end of August and I lasted until the 3rd week of September. I self administered the treatment. I started at 20mg per day and gradually went up to 100mg ( :naughty: ). I know, it was completely stupid, but I was desperate. I had to stop as it affected my mood badly. However, by September my outbreaks were becoming less frequent (although they were not completely gone, and sometimes they were pretty bad).

I went on Minocin for about one week in October 08. Then I stopped.

By November 08, my acne was on the way back. As I had already taken half my cumulative dose in the previous months, I decided to complete my course of Roaccutane. I worked out how much 'tane I needed to take to reach the cumulative dose. I then took 20mg per day every day for 6 months (from November 08 to April 09). I don't know if it was because I was in the second half of overall dosage, or because I was only taking 20mg, but I RARELY got pimples during this time.

As soon as I stopped in April, my skin turned perfect for a few weeks. Now, my face is normal. I get pimples occasionally, but nothing major. 95% of the time, my skin is clear.

My back had acne throughout the 'tane course, but it cleared up after I stopped taking the drug.

It has been a long 15 months, but I finally have normal skin!! :dance:

So please, anyone on tane, don't despair, there is light at the end of the tunnel.