Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

HI guys I've been lurking on this site for a few months and I must admit I am not too knowledgeable about my situation so I was looking for a little help. First, I'll tell you my background. I'm a 21 year old male who has only had mild inflamed whiteheads his whole life and even then they would only get really bad when I picked at them. In early January this year I started to get big huge pimples that wouldnt go away. I kept telling myself they would go away but alas they didnt so when I finally went to the Derm at the beggining of March I was told I had cysts.

Since then I have been put on Minocylin with a prescription of taking th epills twice a day and it has done a unbelievable job of clearing my cystic acne. I havent had a cyst pop up in probaly a month and half. My doctor just scaled down my dosage to one pill per day and within two months wants me to get me off of Minocylin all together. I am very relunctant too get off because emotionally and psycologically I dont think I can handle another relapse into uncontrollable cystic acne. So here are my questions to you guys who might have already experienced this stuff.

1. I didn't start having cystic acne till I was 21. Is that normal? Is there something I might have done to trigger that? Is there any way of finding out what I have done if I did trigger it?

2. I have heard when coming off of Minocylin that your skin gets worse 100 percent of the time. Is this true? I have also heard Mino can give bad side effects however I have been taking it for 2 months plus and I havent experiened any side effects. How long can I stay on the Minocylin before it becomes dangerous?

3. If cystic acne persists is Accutane my only hope?

I can deal with a few big inflamed white heads every now and then. But cystic acne has to be the worse..... Anyways I'd appreciate the help.

I didn't start having cystic acne till I was 21. Is that normal? Is there something I might have done to trigger that? Is there any way of finding out what I have done if I did trigger it?

About half the people I know with cystic acne got it when they were older than the normal "acne" age. my face wasn't bad at all compared to my face after I turned 18.

I have heard when coming off of Minocylin that your skin gets worse 100 percent of the time. Is this true? I have also heard Mino can give bad side effects however I have been taking it for 2 months plus and I havent experiened any side effects. How long can I stay on the Minocylin before it becomes dangerous?

When I took minocycline, it got worse during the first round. The doctor said it would get better duriing the second round...and it just stayed put. So it didn't work for me, but see what other people have to say. In regards to side effects, I only got headaches, etc. when I took it on an empty stomach. I usually tried to take it at dinner.

If cystic acne persists is Accutane my only hope?

Accutane works miracles, so if your dermatologist will give it to you when he sees that whatever he has you doing now isn't working, go for it. I have a history of depression and depression on both sides of my family, so all of the dermatologists I've seen refuse to give it to me. I have found that metrocream, clindamycin, and azelaic acid help me out.

I didn't get acne until I was 18. I think it's was just hormones because I did nothing in my lifestyle to change it. I was also on minocylcine for a year and decided to go off . After a couple months I got tons of cysts and had to have them injected. I am now back on it as well as spironolacton. I'm hoping I can get clear on my modified regimen (See my blog) and quit medications all together. Let us know what you deciede and how it turns out