Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
willeh

Myth? Does a moisturizer make oily skin MORE oily?

Here's a question:

Does a moisturizer make oily skin more oily or does it help to control oil? I was thinking of purchasing Paula's Choice's hydrating moisturizer as I read somewhere that oily skin doesn't mean hydrated skin.

Any suggestions welcome!

True - oily skin is not necessarily properly moisturised and moisturiser doesn't necessarily cause skin to be more oily. I believe that everyone should moisturise - just find the appropriate product for your particular skin type. There are a number of types of moisturisers out there, some of which are oil-free and/or oil-controlling.

I think moisturizer can definitely contribute to the look of oily skin. I've been trying to wean myself off a moisturizer, and use sunscreen instead. I have very oily skin that doesn't tend to get dry, but if my face itches I know I need to moisturize it...

True - oily skin is not necessarily properly moisturised and moisturiser doesn't necessarily cause skin to be more oily. I believe that everyone should moisturise - just find the appropriate product for your particular skin type. There are a number of types of moisturisers out there, some of which are oil-free and/or oil-controlling.

if your skin is oily don't moisturize! one, your face will have a horrible feel to it. two, you don't really need it. Your skin is already moisturized with natural oils, why would you want to put more chemicals on it when it's not even needed?

It's not that moisturisers make your skin more oily but it can CLOG your pores along with sebum, hence the additional problem. That's why it's important to choose a good moisturiser which won't clog pores.

It's not that moisturisers make your skin more oily but it can CLOG your pores along with sebum, hence the additional problem. That's why it's important to choose a good moisturiser which won't clog pores.

I don't use moisturizers because the oil on my skin is enough to make myself a scrambled egg everyday.

i use dove deep moisture facial lotion with spf 15- its light on the face and moisturizes my face very well and it doent make me break out.

For me, moisturizing with a cream base moisturizer (which most of them are) will bring a very superficial change to your skin. Moisturizer will never make your face produce more oil, it will just appear to be more oily because you're rubbing a liquid on it :rolleyes:

Even on most the bottles I've seen it says something along the lines of "Makes your skin appear softer or smoother." It never actually says it makes your skin softer...basically because the stuff you're putting on it isn't natural and your skin can't utilize it. I'd recommend jojoba oil, the stuff works great.

i have oily skin. i use oil of olay daily spf 15. they have a formula for sensitive skin that works well.