Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Mans

So I went to the derm...

Okay I'm just so sad right now because my face flared up so bad from mild acne to moderate-severe in a span of 2 weeks.

i went to the derm and she put me on a week course of desowen, a corticosteroid. she said my face was irritated (i was doing the DKR).

So i dunno, shall i stick with the dkr or listen to professional advice?

this one's a diff. derm as the first derm i had destroyed my skin.

I feel so depressed so what do you think?

How much did she say to apply and how often? Topical steroids are not safe for long-term use (longer than five days, unless the condition warrants it and the doctor prescribes it that way - the risks are HUGE). Please look up overuse of corticosteroids on this board and on Google images.

For irritation, I'd consider an ice cube gently run over the face, never holding it in one spot for too long - about twice a day. How did you do the DKR? Going too fast will cause irritation, using a harsh cleanser or hot water will cause irritation. Scrubbing will cause irritation.

Vaseline petrolatum jelly applied at night will help the irritation as well. I'd apply it after you ice your face. Petrolatum jelly acts not only as a barrier to irritating effects in the environment, but it's also protective of the skin itself and seals in moisture.

When washing, use a gentle cleanser. Use warm or cool water as hot water is very irritating.

she told me to use it for a week.

so wynne what do you say? stick to the derm or trust the regimen... i don't know what to do. i just want my old skin back.

sounds you're doing too much to your skin. Be gentle to your skin and use what the doctor gave you. Otherwise you could just make things much worse.

i think so too... i think i've irritated my skin too much. And that's what the derm told me. she let me hold a mirror and she pointed out why and all that. it's fighting me back.. I suppose i'm going to follow my derm. I trust her. unlike the other one. ugh.

She told me to give my skin a break. Hey that's probably why i've broken out like never before this week. because of the abuse ive been doing to my skin for the past couple of months.

So cheers you guys.

Death to motherfucking acne.

the good thing is that you're taking care of it relatively early, before you do further damage thinking that something will eventually work. I guess mid/moderate isn't so bad once you damage your skin and start getting really bad stuff. Cut back on products and you'll be feeling better soon :cool:

she told me to use it for a week.

so wynne what do you say? stick to the derm or trust the regimen... i don't know what to do. i just want my old skin back.

damn. the damage has been done though. i've got light scarring now. and lots of hyperpigmentation.

All in a span of 2 weeks.