Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
swtmel

Painful lips, ouch, pain! from Accutane - any suggestions?

Hey all-

I am in my 5th week of Accutane and was managing my lips just fine until 3 days ago, when I started developing these tiny blister things on my lips.

Now, the pain is just incredible. I can't smile, can hardly eat or drink, can't kiss my fiance.. it even hurts to put on lip gloss. I've tried Blistex silk 'n shine, various body shop balms, Aquaphor, even neosporin (with pain relief). Anyone have any suggestions? They don't even look that awful, but the constant pain is unbearable.

Other than that, I'm doing great. No other side effects and my face cleared up after the 2nd week. I'm on 40 mg/day.

I tried the same products as you swtmel, but none of them have helped my chapped lips. Can someone please give us some suggestions in relieving chapped lips while on accutane [-o< ?

My derm gave me a sample of Aquaphor and I love it. Makes my lips feel silky smooth. I also lather on the chapstick. I have done this since I took my first pill just so I could get used to it. At night I use the neutrogena night time lip stuff.

If it's real bad maybe your derm can prescribe you something.

Buy some CARMEX

When your lips become very dry and chapped you can get cold sores, that is most likely what you have.

Go to damn near anywhere and pick some up its in a yellow little tube with a red cap and it says for chapped lips - cold sores

on the web @ carmex.com..this shit is fantastic

This may be a stupid question, but have you thought of calling your derm and seeing what he/she suggests? When my lips are bad I use aquaphor and at night I use Chap-Stick, but I have never experienced what you are describing

Lipsol... chapstix worked better than vaseline for me.

Applyed constantly throughout the day, Or however much needed to keep them moist.

Sounds harsh what your expriencing tho... Maybe ask your derm for something stronger on perscription.

what works well is blistex: medex, it's in a small blue container (cylinder shape) and you put it on with ur finger... carmex in the tube doesn't seem to work that well for me... and I hear good things about Burt's Bees Wax but I can't seem to find any here and I don't want to pay shipping for a $2 item

I'll second the blistex lip medex...I use it religiously, and my lips were just like yours. I also have an ointment I have to put on four times a day from my derm. The chapped lips have probably been the worst part for me, but they're controlled now smile.gif .

When your lips heal know matter how good they feel always keep something on them. I have chapstick, aquaphor, and neutrogena lip stuff every where.

GO to ure dermo, and have him/her check your lips to see if there cold sores.. If they are BAD LUCK sad.gif. I have them, theres no cure, take liscene (sp?) once a day. And get zovirax (sp?).. But go to ure dermo and see what he says.... [-X

1. First rule of accutane - don't lick your lips

2. Second rule of accutane - don't lick your lips

3. Third rule of accutane - DON'T F'IN LICK YOUR F'IN LIPS!

4. OK, before u go to sleep every night pile on, & i mean PILE ON a huge amount of vaseline/aquaphor/blistex whatever. So much that it's still there in the mornin. In other words, u can't put on enough. i don't think there's much else u can do, that should work + don't open your mouth too wide the corners of your mouth will rip open. sad.gif

I have painfull lips. I was on accutane years ago and at the time developed several big "cold sores". Over the last several years I have had constant problems with my lips - most recently: swollen red, painfull, with little white open sores. It is very difficult to smile and eat. Pls tell me how you resolved your painfull lips and if anyone reading this has any suggestion I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Thank you,

Jake

Hey all-

I am in my 5th week of Accutane and was managing my lips just fine until 3 days ago, when I started developing these tiny blister things on my lips.

Now, the pain is just incredible. I can't smile, can hardly eat or drink, can't kiss my fiance.. it even hurts to put on lip gloss. I've tried Blistex silk 'n shine, various body shop balms, Aquaphor, even neosporin (with pain relief). Anyone have any suggestions? They don't even look that awful, but the constant pain is unbearable.

Other than that, I'm doing great. No other side effects and my face cleared up after the 2nd week. I'm on 40 mg/day.

I have painfull lips. I was on accutane years ago and at the time developed several big "cold sores". Over the last several years I have had constant problems with my lips - most recently: swollen red, painfull, with little white open sores. It is very difficult to smile and eat. Pls tell me how you resolved your painfull lips and if anyone reading this has any suggestion I would greatly appreciate any advice!

Thank you,

Jake

Hey all-