Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dnttreadonme900

My Appearance During Accutane

Okay, I have mild to moderate acne. I break out really badly on my chin and jawline near my period (hormonal) and I'm going on accutane at the end of the month. I normally wear makeup and it covers everything amazingly so no one really knows I have acne. At the most I get 5 pimples and I have had a huge cyst that won't go away, but they're not TOO noticable.

I also have a really hot guy interested in me right now. In the beginning of June, I'm going kayaking with him and others and I'm afraid about my appearance. By then, I'll be a few weeks into my accutane treatment. I'm scared that my skin is going to me all peely and the makeup will make me look horrible because it always does when my face is mad dry. The only good thing about it is that my face won't be oily!

My mom even said she saw a patient of hers (shes a dental hygenist) whos on accutane and his face was all crusty and gross. My acne isn't horrible, only on one side of my face and chin, so maybe my derm will give me a small dosage at first? HELP!

Plan to moisturize like crazy to keep the flaking down. I teach in college and once I went to the bathroom and saw flaking and put aquaphor right on my face! Once your on accutane you can use greasy moisturizers!

Use tons of sunblock!

Forget about your make up! You'll be out doors kyacking! Have fun. If this guy doesn't like you because you are treating your acne and there are some side effects then forget him! Good to find out early in the relationship if he is superficial.

If you don't put on sunblock, you're screwed. Although when I went out in the sun, it actually helped my skin clear up for about a week....BUT WEAR SUNSCREEN! I didn't put sunscreen on my ears when I went snowboarding about a month ago, and they just now healed. They had gross scabs on them that would peel and bleed. Be very careful in the sun.

You won't look terrible on accutane; however, you will peel pretty extensively. If some guy judges you by what you look like without makeup, he isn't worth it.

I wouldn't bother with the makeup; why wear it when you're going to be getting splashed and out in the sun, having fun? Just wear sunscreen and moisturizer. Wearing makeup while kayaking makes (to me) about as much sense as wearing a silk, tailored blouse and skirt outfit and high heels while kayaking.

Start getting used to not wearing makeup now; it will get easier and easier. :) And you'll be proud that you can face down the world, look it in the eyes and not flinch away, be confident and makeup-less. If someone judges you because you have acne, seriously, you don't want to date them.

I did not flake a lot when on Accutane. It might be because I was so oily or I have skin of steel. Just use moisturizer from day ONE to help alleviate the potential for flaking. Take your first pill and go moisturize! :) And then reapply the moisturizer at least twice a day in your first week or so, and you may need to increase the applications as your course progresses and your side effects (if there are any) increase.

As much as I would love to not wear it even for this situation, I wear it for myself also. When I see myself in the mirror with the makeup on and no acne, I feel beautiful and great. When I see myself without it I see an ugly person that no one would want to talk to and wouldn't blame a person who doesn't want to talk to me.

I know eventually after accutane I can face the world without acne, until then I have no proble covering it up.

Even with the water splashing, I wear awesome makeup that stays on even in those situations so I'm not concerned about that.

I'm just concerned that the peeling won't allow me to wear makeup.

What kind of makeup do you use? It sounds like it's doing a great job :) Either my makeup sucks, or I just suck at putting it on, lol, but I would love any suggestions for what kinda makeup to cover up acne!!

What kind of makeup do you use? It sounds like it's doing a great job :) Either my makeup sucks, or I just suck at putting it on, lol, but I would love any suggestions for what kinda makeup to cover up acne!!