Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mkayx3

is it normal to have a breakout after a facial?

I've been taking 200mgs of minocycline for about 5 weeks and it's been working really well, my skin's been clear of almost all pimples. I got a facial that had a BP, sulfer, and another treatment used..and I got my first breakout since starting antibiotics, is it normal to break out after a facial like that?

yeh i never get facials anymore they're expensive and just seem to do more harm than good

that's including microdermabrasion for me aswel. though i bought a pack of three for like 100 quid and still have 2 left i'm wondering whether i should have them, i can swap them for glycolic peels too!

No, its not a reaction you should expect from a good facial - but it does happen to some people. Sometimes the ingredients used in facials may break out acne prones, especially if the person doing the facial doesn't know much about acne prone skin (this may be true of many "day-spas" who may often be stuck using whatever product line the spa requires them to (which may include ingredients that aren't good for acne prone skin).

I've never heard of BP being used in a facial before, sulfur masks are often used though. Sometimes a sulfur mask may draw out a few pimples that were under the surface, but you should not get a major breakout from a good sulfur mask treatment.

Where did you get your facial?