Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
dannyk259

man using spiro?

i am a 22 yr old male....my derm put me on spiro as a way to treat my acne about 10 days ago.

I have been researching spiro tonite and it seems that it is only used to treat FEMALES!!

is my derm an idiot or can men also use this product???

i am pretty worried at the moment

First how much are u taking?

Second, yes men are prescribed it but I have never heard of a derm giving it to a man for acne. Men use it for blood pressure.

But dont be afraid, I have known men use it in small doses of up to 100mg and be fine.

Second, yes men are prescribed it but I have never heard of a derm giving it to a man for acne. Men use it for blood pressure.

But dont be afraid, I have known men use it in small doses of up to 100mg and be fine.

Yes it is for acne....100mg a day.

Don't worry. I have read that it has been prescribed for men with acne and high blood pressure, with no problems.

Excellent information and completely accurate. :)

Your derm may have decided to see how well it works for you.

Remember that it is a diuretic so you MUST increase your fluid intake so as to prevent side effects. You should also try to limit (but you don't have to cut out) potassium-containing foods. That includes things like sodas, salt substitutes, bananas. You need be less concerned about most foods containing K+ as those don't usually contain a large amount, but definitely avoid salt substitutes as those are usually full of potassium salts.

You will also need to be sure to remind your derm that you need regular lab work to make sure you can tolerate the medication and that your electrolytes remain in balance. Any diuretic messes with electrolytes.

i am a 22 yr old male....my derm put me on spiro as a way to treat my acne about 10 days ago.

I have been researching spiro tonite and it seems that it is only used to treat FEMALES!!

I am also a male and used Spiro - when i was 21.

I wouldn't call my acne severe, but i would get some cystic acne along my jawline and a lot of smaller blemishes (whiteheads) around my mouth area.

But up until that point, Spiro was the only thing that kept my skin in control (not perfect, but it clearly worked).

My Dr. said that she didn't want to keep me on it for too long though.

She also mentioned reports of men growing breasts while on it (which didn't happen for me).

P.s. Don't be worried about that - she said it was a rare and temporary symptom.

But after being on it for about 6-8 months, she took me off.

Unfortunately, shortly after i was taken off of it my skin got worse again.

I had previously and after Spiro tried everything - all the antibiotics and topicals and combinations but nothing else had worked.

So she finally put me on accutane - which i'll be finished with shortly - and it has worked wonders.

P.s. I'm not suggesting that you take accutane, just telling my whole personal experience.

So to sum it up, no, it's not strange for a man to take Spiro, and like i said, it was effective for me while i was on it. More effective than anything else besides accutane(which as most know is the most effective acne treatment).

Well, good luck with your treatment man.

I am also a male and used Spiro - when i was 21.

I wouldn't call my acne severe, but i would get some cystic acne along my jawline and a lot of smaller blemishes (whiteheads) around my mouth area.

But up until that point, Spiro was the only thing that kept my skin in control (not perfect, but it clearly worked).

My Dr. said that she didn't want to keep me on it for too long though.

She also mentioned reports of men growing breasts while on it (which didn't happen for me).

P.s. Don't be worried about that - she said it was a rare and temporary symptom.

But after being on it for about 6-8 months, she took me off.

Unfortunately, shortly after i was taken off of it my skin got worse again.

I had previously and after Spiro tried everything - all the antibiotics and topicals and combinations but nothing else had worked.

So she finally put me on accutane - which i'll be finished with shortly - and it has worked wonders.

P.s. I'm not suggesting that you take accutane, just telling my whole personal experience.

So to sum it up, no, it's not strange for a man to take Spiro, and like i said, it was effective for me while i was on it. More effective than anything else besides accutane(which as most know is the most effective acne treatment).

Well, good luck with your treatment man.

I am a man just now starting spiro. I don't care if I get breasts. I can always wear a shirt anywhere I go (I never go to the beach or pool), but I can never wear a mask to cover my face.

So which is it? Breasts and clear face, or flat chest and a face full of acne. For me the choice is easy, no one sees my chest, and everyone sees my face. I'll take big breasts any day over a face full of zits (sorry).

Jn