Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I had to give my skin a day's break from the BP. It was stinging incredibly bad, and extremely red and dry.

It seemed to help. To recap, I wash twice a day, but only apply half a pump of BP to my face, nightly. To help with the dryness (especially on days I plan on wearing make-up) I apply some coconut oil to my face in the morning, and rub it in. I then let it sit on for a few minutes to reap the benefit of this stuff.

The day's break seemed to help. My face isn't stinging as bad.

So what's the problem?

I am breaking out. Eep. It's so hard not to pop them. The tiny little bumps on my forehead are actually coming to a head. The first few days on the regimen brought some relief when it cleared my skin.

I wonder, should I begin applying 2 half pumps daily now? My skin is pretty sensitive. And how do I wear make-up over the bp?

Hi there. Coconut oil is probably a great natural product for the hands and feet, but unfortunately, it clogs pores. I'm guessing this is what's causing you to break out. Try eliminating this and see if your skin improves.

Are you moisturizing? A good moisturizer should help with the dryness as you go through this initial adjustment period.

The stinging is common in the first few weeks as your skin adjusts to the drying effects of the BP. Since you're still having skin sensitivity issues and redness, I would stick with the half pump nightly for a few more days, or until you notice less or no stinging. Then try building in a half pump of BP in the morning. When your skin adjusts to this, add another half pump in the evening, and so on until you're up to 2 full pumps twice daily.

Listen to the stinging! This is your skin's way of telling you it's not ready for more BP.

Hope this helps. :D

^ I agree completely with Khrysalis!

Some sources I consult say coconut oil is noncomedogenic, but most seem to disagree and say it has a high probability of clogging pores. It might be soothing, but it also might be holding you back from clearing up when you actually do adjust to BP. I would discontinue using it. If you want a moisturizing oil that is less likely to clog your pores, I recommend jojoba oil. Dan sells organic jojoba oil now, but you can also get Desert Essence jojoba oil from health food hippie stores and Trader Joe's. I've read about some people using olive oil, though that might be somewhat more likely to clog your pores and has a savory smell :P

It sounds like your skin isn't ready for large amounts of BP. I think Khrysalis' idea of only using a little at night for now and then working up to twice a day, and then more BP is prudent. I know it's frustrating to keep having break outs, but it's definitely better to let your skin adjust to BP than to clear up but be very painfully red and cracked from using more BP than you can handle. The wait is worth it!

To wear makeup over BP, first, be sure you are using a moisturizer of some sort. If your makeup doesn't have SPF in it, make sure your moisturizer has SPF 15+ or use a separate sunblock on top of the moisturizer. Let the moisturizer/sunblock soak in, and then carefully apply your makeup. Waiting for the BP to dry for ~15 minutes before moisturizing and giving the moisturizer a few more minutes to soak in before attempting makeup will help it to not clump up. Some BP products or moisturizers are much harder to wear makeup over than others. Thin lotions and gels will be much easier to apply makeup over than products with a thicker, pastier consistency.

also, not sure what you're using as a mosituriser, but ive found dans moisturiser to be quite a good base for make up, for a while i was using eucerin underneath my make up and it would ball up after a few hours but for the last two days ive been using dans and it seems to help reduce this. good luck with the regime and stay optimistic!

^ I agree completely with Khrysalis!

Some sources I consult say coconut oil is noncomedogenic, but most seem to disagree and say it has a high probability of clogging pores.

Hi CAKD. I got my info from zerozits.com which has a list of skin-product ingredients rated for irritation and noncomedogenicness. Coconut oil rated 4 out of a possible 5 for noncomedogenicness (1 being the best score and 5 being the worst). Brandy referred me to this list awhile back, and I refer to it when I have these sorts of questions.

Just FYI! :D

Yep, zerozits was one of the ones I checked at. That source suggests that coconut oil is rather comedogenic (pore-clogging), and most other sources seem to agree, but it's not universal. I would still stay away from coconut oil, given this information. Non-comedogenic = good, comedogenic = bad!