Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
rin

proactiv gave me cystic acne, any advice?

i'm 21 and only developed cystic acne within the last 3-4 months. last august i decided that i wanted to try proactiv, at the time i had average "t zone" acne, nothing severe. as soon as i began proactiv i noticed that there were small bumps developing on my cheeks, but i continued. i used my months worth and canceled my proactiv plan. i had NEVER had so much as a bump on my cheeks, since then it has only gotten worse. i now have horrible cystic acne on both cheeks and nothing seems to be helping. i gave up and called a derm, but can't get an appointment until mid-June.

i am honestly at a loss. i spend most nights crying now and am afraid to stay out anywhere that isn't my house because i'm afraid of not being able to wash my face! i almost feel silly, but i don't know what to do any more!

if any one has experience with anything similar, what, if anything, helped?

thank you so much.

"that isn't my house because i'm afraid of not being able to wash my face!"

you can get a small bottle of cetaphil and it'll fit in your purse?

YES, this happened to me too! I used proactiv though for about a year, and had the general tzone area problems. But once I quite using proactiv I developed cystic acne occasionally on my chin and right now I' am dealing with one IT SUCKS! But, I have been using a brand called NEOSTRATA its amazing, i'll never go back to any other brand, reasonably priced and works very well for sensitive acne prone skin. I am also doing laser treatments on my chin and cheek areas. But hope things work out for you. You can get that cleanser and lotion at dermstore.com good luck!

i don't know what kind of face wash to even begin to use, thats more the problem. right now i'm using two and don't know if its really helping at all. i've never had to treat anything like this before and feel completely lost. it feels as though in the past few months i've tried combinations of everything with no real change. would just cetaphil be helpful?

also, i'm too embarrassed to be seen without make up. which is usually what happens after you wash your face. its not a situation i'm used to at all.

Hey Rin!

I know exactly how u're feeling.. the same thing happened to me.. My skin wasn't too bad before I started using Proactive, would maybe have 1 or 2 spots.. After about three weeks of

using Proactive I developed small spots on my cheek, then on my chin and other cheek and now it looks terrible!! I felt completely depressed and didn't want to leave my room! I booked an appointment with the doctor (who didn't seem to care at all) but gave me a prescription for Duac gel... it will be the fourth nite I'm using it, and I think its actually working! My skin it getting better, and I'm hoping it will all go away...

I'm really angry that I tried proactive and what it did, I just hope it'll go away! I hope you find a solution that will work for you, and don't feel bad.. it wont last forever and u'r not alone! good luck!!

thanks!

so in the 4 days since i first posted this, i stopped using the 2918380165123 different face washes and crap that i thought i needed to use. i'm now only using cetaphil twice a day and drinking that tea that was mentioned in another thread. i dont know which is doing it, but honestly my cheeks have improved GREATLY. i'm back to about how it was 2 months ago (just before it got unbearable).

i still cant wait to get to a dr and settle this once and for all.