Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
hawaiigurl123

roseacea without flushing?

Hi, I've had mild to moderate acne since I was 11 or so (I'm 18 now) which has been cleared up almost completely in the past 9 months with Retin-A micro and birth control pills. However, I gradually got redness and tiny capillaries on my nose and a bit of my upper cheeks which hasn't gotten any better as my acne improved...if anything, it seems to be spreading. A somewhat inattentive (the entire appointment took about 3 minutes) derm's assistant told me a few days ago that the redness is rosacea and prescribed Metrogel. While I do have the redness and capillaries that a lot of people with rosacea have, the other symptoms/signs don't seem consistent...it seems rosacea is unusual for someone my age, I don't have fair skin, I don't have any particular tendency to flush or blush, and I don't have sensitive skin at all (starting the Retin-A just gave me a tiny bit of dryness). I'm pretty in tune to products or environmental factors that affect my skin because they make a big difference for my acne, but I've never noticed any trigger for increased redness. My mom has also been diagnosed with rosacea, but she does blush easily in a way that I don't.

Does anyone know if this can still be rosacea? And if regular treatments, like the Metrogel, still make sense?

Thanks a lot.

Hi, I've had mild to moderate acne since I was 11 or so (I'm 18 now) which has been cleared up almost completely in the past 9 months with Retin-A micro and birth control pills. However, I gradually got redness and tiny capillaries on my nose and a bit of my upper cheeks which hasn't gotten any better as my acne improved...if anything, it seems to be spreading. A somewhat inattentive (the entire appointment took about 3 minutes) derm's assistant told me a few days ago that the redness is rosacea and prescribed Metrogel. While I do have the redness and capillaries that a lot of people with rosacea have, the other symptoms/signs don't seem consistent...it seems rosacea is unusual for someone my age, I don't have fair skin, I don't have any particular tendency to flush or blush, and I don't have sensitive skin at all (starting the Retin-A just gave me a tiny bit of dryness). I'm pretty in tune to products or environmental factors that affect my skin because they make a big difference for my acne, but I've never noticed any trigger for increased redness. My mom has also been diagnosed with rosacea, but she does blush easily in a way that I don't.

Does anyone know if this can still be rosacea? And if regular treatments, like the Metrogel, still make sense?

Thanks a lot.

Aloha Hawaiigurl123,

Flushing is usually a factor in the diagnosis of rosacea, however, not in all cases. Only a physician can diagnose rosacea and ruling out other skin conditions is important since so many other skin diseases are rosacea mimics. However, it is common for rosacea to run in families, hence there is one theory that rosacea is genetic. It is important to have a competent dermatologist diagnose what you may be causing the redness and determine if treatment for rosacea is the way to go. Did your physician see you, or only the assistant? Here is a link to some basic *Moderator edit, URL removed - read the board rules* You might want a second opinion.