Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Okay, so I have been thinking a lot about what led me to the point where I am now. From the ages of 14-16, I had what I would not even describe as acne: A few pimples on my forehead and a couple on my chin. Basically nothing and my skin looked great without makeup.

Then in my 17th year, my forehead cleared up on its own but I was still having some breakouts on my chin. That year, I was wrecked with stress from school, all-nighters, and tons and tons of sugar and overeating. Needless to say my chin did not improve so I started washing my face like a mad woman. My chin still did not improve and my overall complexion became irritated (hmmm...I wonder why? *sarcasm*). Anyway, last spring I went to the doctor and he gave me minocyclin. I took the antibiotic throughout the summer, my skin cleared up (what few pimples I did have) but my skin tone did not improve because I was still washing my face about 5-6 times a day (yeah...I know). My skin also became hypersensitive to sun and heat and I would blush easily. However, when I was not blushing, my skin looked great and I did not wear makeup.

In October, I stopped the minocyclin because I really did not like being so sensitive to the sun and heat. A few weeks later, my forehead broke out, as did my chin and the sides of my mouth. I'm still struggling with this same breakout but my diet has definitely helped.

My question is, what the hell did the antibiotics do to my system? I am well aware of the effect antibiotics have on the immune system via gut flora, in turn affecting how one's body deals with infection (including demodex mites, which everyone has, but people who do not have acne have bodies that can regulate...this is why killing the mites is yet another superficial fix). I did have candida (white coating on tongue) and I suspect I still do...I have not taken probiotics on a regular basis, but if I were to (I just added it to my regimen), could it be helpful?

My logic is that if I heal my body from years of "food-abuse" and months of antibiotics, thereby regulating gut flora and the immune system, my skin will return to normal. Thoughts?

Yeah, seems like a good plan, and also cut the washing down to once, maximum twice a day and ONLY with water. Try to use only natural products (aka moisturizer - use oil).

You can also take a probiotic if you like. Be sure to take it with fiber though and 2 hours after or before any other supplements.

Oh I should add, I wash my face with only water, do not use moisturizer (don't need it) and wear makeup infrequently, which I have been doing since about November. Check out my holistic regimen, if you want, to see what I have been doing.

Thanks junebug, I'm wondering though about taking the probiotic 2 hours before/after other supplements, why is that? Oh and I love MGMT :]

Uhm, the only reason there'd be a two hour gap is if you took it with fiber, which apparently gets more of it to where it needs to be instead of it being killed by your stomach acid. I am making the last part up but it is probably true. :P