Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

So I've finally got an appointment set up with an allergist to have some blood work done and get tested for food allergies. This is probably long over due but I'm glad I'm taking this step forward. How many of you have been tested for food allergies? What were your experiences and results? Do the results come back as black or white, either deathly allergic or not? I forgot to ask on the phone whether or not the test can pick up moderate food intolerances as well. I'm pretty sure I have multiple food allergies since I have been having digestive problem alongside acne for several years. I'm looking forward to finding out what I am specifically allergic to so that I can get a better understanding of the foods I should avoid.

I'm getting a more thorough one when i get the money, but just got results from a test of 5 allergins that i eat alot of. Above 2 is positive for an allergy

Some kinda yeast (not candida) - negative

Chicken - negative (thank god!)

Egg white - 16.9 (doh, literally just finished a huge omelet)

Casein (cows milk) - 14.8

Oats - negative but allergic to the oats class? idk...

and i did have a slight allergy to candida and none from gluten tested previously...

Ouch that sucks your allergic to eggs. I eat a lot of eggs so I'm crossing my fingers. Was it a blood or skin test. Did you have to pay for it all out of pocket? I currently have health insurance so hopefully it wont be too expensive.

I've never gotten a food allergy test but my mom came out positive for gluten intolerance, so I'm guessing I inherited that.

Ouch that sucks your allergic to eggs. I eat a lot of eggs so I'm crossing my fingers. Was it a blood or skin test. Did you have to pay for it all out of pocket? I currently have health insurance so hopefully it wont be too expensive.

Wow that sounds a little steep for blood testing. Ive seen websites offering much more affordable options. They are basically set up where you have your general practitioner order the test, draw your blood, and then send it in. Most of them seem pretty legit. You might want to look into them.

Wow that sounds a little steep for blood testing. Ive seen websites offering much more affordable options. They are basically set up where you have your general practitioner order the test, draw your blood, and then send it in. Most of them seem pretty legit. You might want to look into them.

i know...sucked. The 115 for 450 isn't so bad though and my insurance wouldnt cover these ones so I wanted to get a few tested for now to get a head start is all. You think i could jus call up my gp and say i need blood drawn for this test and hell do it? Ive been going to my naturopath who orders watever tests i want but he sends my to quest diagnostics to get my blood drawn..

hi guys,

do you know if the test can pick up an allergy if you've been avoiding a particular food...eg i haven't eaten any dairy in a while, could a test pick up a dairy allergy or would i have to eat dairy again for a while before taking the test?

if you get tested for wheat and gluten intolerance and you come up as being ok to have it does that mean you can have 100% whole weat bread and wont break out?

There are two types of blood tests igE and igG. The allergy tests are igE. The igG tests only confirm if you have igG antibodies to a food. This does not mean you have an allergy or an intolerance. Having antibodies to a food is normal. You have to try an elimination diet with the food to see if it is causing any symptoms. Don't avoid food just because you have igG antibodies to it.

I had a blood sample taken at a clinic (RediClinic) and it was sent off for testing for common allergens. I think it cost a little over $200. I got the results in the mail and each allergen had a score from 0 to 5, 5 being the most severe reaction.

I had several 1s and 2s, including cats and dogs, which I've always had, and the oranges that caused my severe cystic acne.

So don't think just because the results show only a mild allergy, that it isn't causing some severe reaction in you.

if you get tested for wheat and gluten intolerance and you come up as being ok to have it does that mean you can have 100% whole weat bread and wont break out?