Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
LKP

Sugar scrubs/urea moisturizers/managing keratosis pilaris and Accutane

I'm on my second month of accutane currently and seeing fantastic results :dance: obviously my skin is quite dry, though. I also suffer from keratosis pilaris and prior to starting accutane I managed it with a sugar scrub in the shower/omega 3,6,9 fatty acids/linseeds and a moisturizer containing urea. It actually cleared it up nicely however I stopped using the scrub and urea moisturizer when I started tane for fear of irritation which I now think was a mistake (continued with the omega 3,6,9 and linseed, however) and have seen a resurgence.

Does anyone else have these same two conditions and how are you dealing with it? I'm going to switch back to my urea containing moisturizer as I feel it worked well and maintained skin moisture much longer then my current moisturizer (vaseline intensive moisture). What about the sugar scrub, do you guys think this would do more harm then good now that my skin is so fragile from the tane?

Just some more info: my KP is not severe, I would call it moderate in the winter and mild in summer but an eye sore nontheless and it can get fairly itchy and uncomfortable. I think the sugar scrubs exfoliating properties are clearly crucial to the management of my KP but I don't want to do more harm then good with the accutane side effects.

Thanks in advance for any tips!

i haven't started accutane just yet (will next week), but i also have KP. for this, my derm prescribed a lotion that has 6% salicylic acid, so it literally burns away the dead skin cells that clog up your pores and causes those raised bumps. but, i'm not sure how this will work while on the tane. maybe ask your doc if this would be a good option for you, and if he/she thinks it won't irritate the skin that has KP, you could try that. let us know what you end up doing, because i'm curious to see how it works out! good luck.

i haven't started accutane just yet (will next week), but i also have KP. for this, my derm prescribed a lotion that has 6% salicylic acid, so it literally burns away the dead skin cells that clog up your pores and causes those raised bumps. but, i'm not sure how this will work while on the tane. maybe ask your doc if this would be a good option for you, and if he/she thinks it won't irritate the skin that has KP, you could try that. let us know what you end up doing, because i'm curious to see how it works out! good luck.

I have the same salicylic acid lotion that didn't do alot for me in the past so I switched to the regime listed in the first post (the only thing that ever truly cleared my arms and legs up). I was considering trying it again with the tane but I'm concerned it will literally cause a burn from the acid but maybe since it's not on my face it will be ok. I think I'll give it a shot on a 'test spot' for a few days and report back on what happens.