Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
PaulUK

Would like a third opinion please

Hello,

I went through alot of problems in the past with Acne but im glad to say im completely clear of it now after taking a 6 month course of Roaccatane.

However i have run into another problem which ive been told are two different things (Possibly both?!) by different derms.

The first derm i saw said i had Rosacea and gave me some Metrogel which didn't do a single thing at all.

The second derm said i had Serborric dermatitis and gave me Hydrocortisone ointment which made quite a big difference (Will explain more later)

My face is quite red but it's centred around the nose and not really on the cheeks, it's the nose the sides of the nose and my forehead just above the top of my nose. The skin is often dry and scaly and i get yellow bits on the area. It's also very very itchy at times. The skin appears to be generally very dry around this area only, the rest of my face needs little or no moisture.

I've also had a ongoing problem with my ears for a long time and the second derm told me this was directly related to the Seb derm on my face, I have some small patches of skin on my arms (about a inch down from my shoulder) on both sides which are covered in small red patches (not spots!) i also had a small patch in the middle of my chest but the hydrocortisone completely cleared this up.

I have read up on both conditions and im not sure which i have or if i have both, i dont blush easily or get a bright red face and i dont have any visible blood vessles the redness on the sides of my nose looks just like inflammed skin.

Not sure what else to say, any questions feel free to ask.. should be able to post some pictures of what i have tried to describe in the next few days.

Unfortunately, I don't have any answers as I am going through the exact same experience. Redness, area, both diagnosis, etc...

Hello,

I went through alot of problems in the past with Acne but im glad to say im completely clear of it now after taking a 6 month course of Roaccatane.

However i have run into another problem which ive been told are two different things (Possibly both?!) by different derms.

The first derm i saw said i had Rosacea and gave me some Metrogel which didn't do a single thing at all.

The second derm said i had Serborric dermatitis and gave me Hydrocortisone ointment which made quite a big difference (Will explain more later)

My face is quite red but it's centred around the nose and not really on the cheeks, it's the nose the sides of the nose and my forehead just above the top of my nose. The skin is often dry and scaly and i get yellow bits on the area. It's also very very itchy at times. The skin appears to be generally very dry around this area only, the rest of my face needs little or no moisture.

I've also had a ongoing problem with my ears for a long time and the second derm told me this was directly related to the Seb derm on my face, I have some small patches of skin on my arms (about a inch down from my shoulder) on both sides which are covered in small red patches (not spots!) i also had a small patch in the middle of my chest but the hydrocortisone completely cleared this up.

I have read up on both conditions and im not sure which i have or if i have both, i dont blush easily or get a bright red face and i dont have any visible blood vessles the redness on the sides of my nose looks just like inflammed skin.

Not sure what else to say, any questions feel free to ask.. should be able to post some pictures of what i have tried to describe in the next few days.

Definitely get a third opinion from a doctor. I can say that you pretty much exactly described my boyfriend. Dryness around the nose, behind the ears. He was told by his doc its was seb dermatitis.

He absolutely insists that "dust mites" make it worse and buys all new pillows once in a while and, covers them with anti-allergy pillow covers and washes the pillow cases two or three times a week.

He also uses an anti-dandruff shampoo called Nizoral once a week because he also gets that. His doctor told him he could wash his face with it when he used it too. (Of course, verify that with a doctor, just in case you don't have seb dermatitis and it could irritate you more)

Good luck!

Definitely get a third opinion from a doctor. I can say that you pretty much exactly described my boyfriend. Dryness around the nose, behind the ears. He was told by his doc its was seb dermatitis.

He absolutely insists that "dust mites" make it worse and buys all new pillows once in a while and, covers them with anti-allergy pillow covers and washes the pillow cases two or three times a week.

He also uses an anti-dandruff shampoo called Nizoral once a week because he also gets that. His doctor told him he could wash his face with it when he used it too. (Of course, verify that with a doctor, just in case you don't have seb dermatitis and it could irritate you more)

Good luck!

Thanks for the Nizoral advice, i tried it recently and it made a huge difference to the condition of my skin for the better!

I saw the dermatologist aswell yesterday and he asked me alot of questions and talked to me about how my skin felt on a daily basis i actually found him to be extremely good at his job because he didn't just blindly ignore anything i said.

He doesn't think i have Rosacea even those my cheeks forehead and nose are red, however i do have Seb derm which was brought under control quite well with Nizoral however he prescrived Dactarin cream which i have used twice and so far no problems.

He also prescrived Differin Gel and Tetralysal for my mild acne and they have both been fine so far, tho my cheeks feel a little redder today since using the Differin gel.

The gel felt very good putting it on my skin it was cool and rubbed in very well and didn't leave any residue which some gels do (Metrogel was just the most horrible thing i have ever tried and did nothing at all)

My routine is now this;

Hand wash with water in the morning and apply moisturiser and then Dactarin, Bath at night and wash with Clearasil sensitive wash and then apply dactarin again along with moisturiser

Just before bed apply the Differin gel.

This is what i was told to follow by the dermatologist for 3 months before seeing him again, Would like some oppinions on what i have been prescribed and any advice.

Thanks

Hi PaulUK,

I am also having the same problems. How is your situation with the treatment? are you still following the same treatment and how is the results?

Thnx,