Notifications
Clear all

Immune Response

MemberMember
(@sim)

Posted : 04/28/2008 3:38 pm

Hi people.

this has been bothering me for a while. i have a degree in microbiology but i still don't understand why this happens. when bacteria such as p. acne grows in a blocked follicle it causes a spot.

the bodies immune system will quickly detect these microbes and begin to attacked using white cells on many types (mainly macrophages) this causes inflamtion dues to chemicles released by the white cells. as time goes by puss occurs signalling death of the bacteria then healing and repair phase.

once we have been exposed once shouldn't our immune system destroy any p .acnes in the follicle before a spot forms? this would be true for any microbe that invades our body. antibodies would still linger in the body, macrophages would be more effective against the bacteria and memory cells would be made. so why are we still prone to them?

MemberMember
(@bug)

Posted : 04/29/2008 12:46 pm

you're the microbio major, so you'd know better than me. but all i can think is that either 1. cuz the follicle is blocked in the 1st place, so all that dead crap buildz up or 2. (which maybe makes more sense) it's bacteria that invadez from the external environment (like touching your face or shaving). not like, creating Abs for something already in your blood. i'm probably way off...

MemberMember
(@shadeonyx)

Posted : 05/02/2008 4:49 pm

Well I have seen a few of these and you are a microbiologist, maybe you could look into some of these claims and tell us if it's true? I mean honestly it would make sense to me because all my worst acne started a huge influxes of hormones. When I got through puberty I started getting acne then, it got worse with every pregnancy I went through. Now... I am way past the age I should have acne and it's only getting worse....

These people clame it's some sort of Demolex Mite that is microscopic, I am assuming someone in your field can perhaps answer their claims about these oils in the articles and also some are saying it's the Mineral Zinc that helps to balance our body out?

Please let me know, I have tried everything including Accutane to no avail and it makes me want to cry.

[Removed]

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/04/2008 9:55 pm

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 05/05/2008 10:01 am

Hey Sweet Jade, what elicits DTH response in the first place? I think that's an important question to ask. What is the antigen that leads to the activation of Thelper cells? The Th cells will then activate the macrophages, which then lead to the secretion of cytokines that mediate the inflammation process...

MemberMember
(@allo12345)

Posted : 05/05/2008 2:01 pm

Sweetjade -

What kind of acne do you get if you eat bananas and pineapples, and let's say you ate those, how much time does it take after you eat them to eliminate the inflammation response?

Another thing, do you recommend we try some of the things you are doing in "Stage 3 (Correction)?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/05/2008 9:30 pm

Hey Sweet Jade, what elicits DTH response in the first place? I think that's an important question to ask. What is the antigen that leads to the activation of Thelper cells? The Th cells will then activate the macrophages, which then lead to the secretion of cytokines that mediate the inflammation process...
MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/05/2008 9:35 pm

Most Common Allergens

Cow's Milk:

Two out of a hundred infants under one year old suffer from cow's milk allergy, making it the most common food allergy of childhood. In general children lose this sensitivity as they grow up with nine out of ten losing it by the age of three; it is unusual for adults to suffer from this allergy.

Symptoms are frequently vomiting and diarrhoea in children, with 30-50% also having skin rashes of some type. A small number of children have an anaphylactic reaction to milk which tends to be lifelong.

The major allergens in milk are the caseins and the whey protein b -lactoglobulin. People are usually allergic to more than one kind of milk protein.

The proteins from cow's milk are very similar to those from goats and sheep, and can cause the same sorts of reaction in cow's milk-allergic subjects. Thus goat's or sheep's milk cannot be used as a cow's milk substitute in allergic individuals.

Eggs:

Allergy to eggs is usually observed in young children rather than adults, and like cow's milk allergy, fades with time. Occasionally children suffer from a severe form of allergy which is not outgrown.

The main allergens are the egg white proteins ovomucoid, ovalbumin, and ovotransferrin.

The eggs of other poultry, such as ducks, are very similar to those of hens and can cause reactions in egg-allergic individuals.

Fish and shellfish:

Allergies to shellfish are unusual in children, mostly being experienced by adults. Reactions to fish are found in children and adults. The incidence of seafood allergy is higher in those countries with a high consumption of fish and shellfish.

Severe reactions are more frequently found with these foods, including anaphylaxis.

Cooking does not destroy the allergens in fish and shellfish, and some individuals maybe allergic to the cooked, but not raw, fish.

The major allergens in fish are flesh proteins called parvalbumins which are very similar in all kinds of fish. This is why people allergic to cod tend to be allergic to fish such as hake, carp, pike, and whiting as well.

Shellfish allergens are usually found in the flesh and are part of the muscle protein system, whilst in foods such as shrimps, allergens have also been found in the shells.

Fruits:

In general allergic reactions to fruits and vegetables are mild, and are often limited to the mouth, and are called the oral-allergy syndrome (OAS).

Around four out of ten people having OAS are also allergic to tree and weed pollens. Thus people who are allergic to birch pollen are much more likely to be allergic to apples.

There allergens in fruits and vegetables are not as complicated as other foods. Many of them are very like the allergens in pollens, which is why people with pollen allergies are also allergic to certain fruits.

Many fruit allergens are destroyed by cooking, and thus cooked fruits are often safe for fruit allergic people to eat.

Allergies to latex gloves, especially amongst health professionals, are increasing. As many of the latex allergens are like those found in certain tropical fruits, such as bananas, these people can get an allergic reaction to handling or eating these foods .

Legumes:

This group of foods includes soya beans and peanuts. Peanuts are one of most allergenic foods and frequently cause very severe reactions, including anaphylaxis.

Allergy to peanuts is established in childhood and usually maintained throughout life.

Both these foods have multiple allergens which are present in the raw and cooked foods.

Peanut allergy can be so severe that only very tiny amounts of peanut can cause a reaction. Thus the traces of nuts found in processed oils, or the carry over of materials on utensils used for serving foods, can be enough in some individuals, to cause a reaction.

The main allergens in peanuts and soya are the proteins used by the seed as a food store for it to grow into a seedling. One of the allergens in soya bean is very similar to a major allergen from dust mites, a common environmental allergen. We aren't sure yet whether this means there is a link between dust allergy and soya allergy.

Tree nuts:

This group includes true tree nuts, such as Brazil nuts, hazelnuts, walnut and pecan.

Whilst not as intensively studied as peanuts, indications are that tree nuts can cause symptoms as severe which can occasionally be fatal.

Children who become sensitised to tree nuts tend to remain allergic throughout life.

Hazelnut and almond allergies are more like those people get to fruit, and are linked to pollen allergies.

Nut allergens can be both destroyed by, or resistant, to cooking and we think that roasting may actually create new allergens.

The allergens can be the seed storage proteins, or other molecules which are also found in pollen.

Cereals:

Suffered by children and adults alike, wheat allergy appears to be particularly associated with exercise-induced anaphylaxis.

The more of a cereal (wheat, rye, barley, oats, maize or rice) we eat the more likely we are to suffer an allergy. Thus rice allergy is found more frequently in populations eating ethnic diets.

Seed storage proteins (such as wheat gluten) and other proteins present in grain to protect it from attack by moulds and bacteria, have been found to be major allergens.

http://www.ifr.ac.uk/protall/infosheet.htm

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/05/2008 10:31 pm

Sweetjade -

What kind of acne do you get if you eat bananas and pineapples, and let's say you ate those, how much time does it take after you eat them to eliminate the inflammation response?

Another thing, do you recommend we try some of the things you are doing in "Stage 3 (Correction)?

Thanks

MemberMember
(@madworld)

Posted : 05/07/2008 8:32 am

instead of making life hard for yourself by not eating anything, why not EAT everything and build up a tolerance to the allergens?

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/07/2008 6:47 pm

instead of making life hard for yourself by not eating anything, why not EAT everything and build up a tolerance to the allergens?
MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/07/2008 6:52 pm

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 05/07/2008 9:18 pm

Are intolerances still characterized by a degranulation of mast cells, leading to the release of histamine? If that were teh case, maybe anti-histamines will have an affect on acne. We can also search for natural anti-histamines.....One person has reported that SODIUM improves his acne. In fact, sodium is nature's anti-histamine.

Sometimes the bumps that appear after I eat a certain food certainly LOOK and FEEL like allergies--itchy and weepy. They definitely aren't the garden variety acne.

I've seen lots of pictures of people with acne on this board--some of that stuf definitely does not look like what we define as "acne." But we still lump them in the category, because its red and detrimental to one's appearances.....

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/07/2008 11:28 pm

Are intolerances still characterized by a degranulation of mast cells, leading to the release of histamine? If that were teh case, maybe anti-histamines will have an affect on acne. We can also search for natural anti-histamines.....One person has reported that SODIUM improves his acne. In fact, sodium is nature's anti-histamine.

Sometimes the bumps that appear after I eat a certain food certainly LOOK and FEEL like allergies--itchy and weepy. They definitely aren't the garden variety acne.

I've seen lots of pictures of people with acne on this board--some of that stuf definitely does not look like what we define as "acne." But we still lump them in the category, because its red and detrimental to one's appearances.....

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 05/08/2008 12:02 am

Since inflammatory mediators cause the symptoms, an anti-inflammatory diet is the best mode of action, is it not?. Intolerances manifest themselves because the body's defense system is unable to clear the antigen effectively enough. If we strengthen our bodies so that we can deal with substances that might be a bit more intolerable--that would be ideal. I truly doubt that most of us are genetically inclined to be so sensitive to every food, every product. Perhaps thats the optimisitc in me speaking. A healthy body should not react so negatively to stimuli. Removing the stimulus is of course a solution, but is it the best solution? I'm not so sure...because our oversensitivity to foreign substances is a sign of a faulty immune system, in a manner of speaking.

That being said, I've been clear for quite awhile now. I'm not embarassed to say, but masturbation was actually the biggest cause in clearing my acne, I believe. I did not know until after I became clear. I thought it was diet, exercise....but masturbation played a bigger role than I thought. Switcihng from daily to once or twice a week has done crazy things for my skin tone... In chinese medicine, there is the concept of semen loss through masturbation, which is detrimental. Normal sex is not considered detrimental because the couple complement and restore each other. Althoguh abstract, I think it makes sense in some spiritual way. There is a instance where a indian wrestler guru (who are required to swear into abstinence) attended a wedding. He gave a look at the groom, and shook his head in disapproval. "The groom obviously does not practice abstinence--his skin tone is poor and his eyes are dim."

Anyhow, i do not know why i'm sharing this, but I'm just saying that limiting masturbation might help lots of people. (My skin tone is crazy right now, even though I was forced to eat all my trigger foods this week, hanging out with some friends ) Unforunately, this is a concept that lots of poeople will not embrace.

Okay, life story over. Back to topic...

I'm currently planning to apply for a research position investigating the formation of acne. If I find one, I'll be sure to add more to this topic as I learn more about the immune response. :)

Yes, some people had success using Ranitidine, especially those that self-dx'd as being Histadelics.... but of course how long do you want them to continue with taking an anti-histamine that can expose them to getting other illnesses? There was also talk of a specific oil....perilla oil (?)....(try searching the board and healthboards)

Furthermore, that drug works for Histamine (Hz-blocking) and apparently reducing stomach acid (hmm), if that were the only problem, it would be perfect, yet Histamine is only one of a long list of inflammatory products, with regards to acne sufferers:

* Histamine

* Free Radicals

* ROS - Reactive Oxygen Species

* PGE2- Proinflammatory Prostaglandins

* Leukotriene B4

* Cytokines (Interleukines 1 - 12a/b sometimes, TNF-a/Tumor Necrosis Factor-a, etc)

* NO - Nitric Oxide

* Peroxide (from lysed PMN/Polymorphonuclear leukocytes (white blood cells/neutrophils))

* Lactic Acid

* PPAR beta/delta - Peroxisome Proliferator Activated Receptors beta/delta

* Substance P

etc...

Unfortunately, no matter what we do, if you are taking a drug that works in some way to combat inflammation, you are still consistently exposing yourself to something that is causing your inflammation...unless you are able to get to and treat the root cause (top suspect - increased intestinal hyperpermeability due to lifestyle?).

It's like it is with any other drug/supplement. If your lifestyle is antagonistic to what the drug/supplement is doing....how effective will it ultimately be for you?

Some people, all they need is a pill.

Others it's combination of pill and diet.

Other's it's diet alone.

Though mind you, it could also be an intolerance to something that is found in your skin care products, a supplement or your diet like a preservative, an artificial sweetener, a chemical (i.e. pesticide residue), or even a microbe (the body initially attacked the microbe the food was attached to) or microbial by-product (aflatoxin).

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/09/2008 11:45 pm

Since inflammatory mediators cause the symptoms, an anti-inflammatory diet is the best mode of action, is it not?. Intolerances manifest themselves because the body's defense system is unable to clear the antigen effectively enough. If we strengthen our bodies so that we can deal with substances that might be a bit more intolerable--that would be ideal. I truly doubt that most of us are genetically inclined to be so sensitive to every food, every product. Perhaps thats the optimisitc in me speaking. A healthy body should not react so negatively to stimuli. Removing the stimulus is of course a solution, but is it the best solution? I'm not so sure...because our oversensitivity to foreign substances is a sign of a faulty immune system, in a manner of speaking.
MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 05/09/2008 11:47 pm

Lol!!!

For a second I thought you agreed with me about the masturbation part. : )

Phooey.

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/10/2008 12:59 am

Psst...I updated the prior post.

OK, now second line of thought....what's up with grains, especially Wheat?

If you've read what I've posted in topics relating to Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, and Cholesterol you know that I've been posting a lot studies showing the negative impact wheat has on our health.

It's not just Insulin Resistance, Diabetes, Cardiovascular Disease, but also....ADHD, Autism, Arthritis, Thyoriditis, Adrenal Disorders and....even Cancers.

Some of which, are of course linked to the development of acne:

Insulin Resistance

Thyroid Disorders

Adrenal Disorders

Most of the previously mentioned disorders are linked to being either an Auto-Immune disease or a Silent Chronic Inflammatory Disease...

So, why would wheat have such an impact on our immune system? Well there's a few lines of thought here:

* Highly Antigenic

*Problematic Lectin - WGA (wheat germ agglutinin)

* Mycotoxin Level - some believe that there's permenant mycotoxins in grains, peanuts and select other foods contributing to....systemic yeast/candida infections and other disease (sinus, diabetes, cholesterol, etc).

* Evolution - have all ethnicities evolved enough to consume this grain (or certain others)?

The one that hasn't been mentioned the most is....Problematic Lectins. On another thread I mentioned that this was how I came to selecting the diet that did at the time. Problematic lectins include all grains, legumes and nightshades for this particular diet that acneic members were following. The theory IS, that these lectins cause the blood to agglutinate, cluster together, thus setting the stage for problems within the body.

While doctors don't support the idea that certain lectins will be problematic for certain blood types...see Eat Right 4 Your Type, there is scientific evidence to support that lectins do cause agglutination within the blood stream and there this can be linked to certain diseases (as mentioned above)!

So in my case...Dad has Type B Blood, I have Type O Blood and diabetes type 2 runs on his side of the family. According to Eat Right 4 Your Type, Type B and Type O should avoid Gluten and select lectins because they are linked to us developing Insulin Resistance and then Type 2 Diabetes....

http://www.drlam.com/blood_type_diet/blood_o.cfm

http://www.dadamo.com/

What's really interesting, again, while doctor's don't support the idea of Blood Type being used in this manner....Type O is THE most common blood type around. I wonder how many people with Diabetes or chronic Insulin Resistance have Type B or Type O blood (vs. the other types)?

http://www.acu-cell.com/btd.html (mulls over the possibility)

However, I mainly mention this because there's quite a few things going on with Wheat that makes it rather interesting when it comes to looking at it's role in disease development.

For those, unaware:

Agglutination is the clumping of particles. The word agglutination comes from the Latin agglutinare, "to glue to."

This occurs in biology in three main examples:

1. The clumping of cells such as bacteria or red blood cells in the presence of an antibody. The antibody or other molecule binds multiple particles and joins them, creating a large complex.

2. The coalescing of small particles that are suspended in solution; these larger masses are then (usually) precipitated.

3. An allergic reaction type occurrence where cells become more compacted together to prevent foreign materials entering them. This is usually the result of an antigen in the vicinity of the cells. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Agglutination_(biology)

MemberMember
(@complexissues)

Posted : 05/13/2008 9:48 pm

Uhm,

Can anybody simplify this into one coherent theory? And there has to be some way to document and unite all the various theories, this would help immensely.

MemberMember
(@sie)

Posted : 05/16/2008 2:23 am

This all seems to make sense but I'd like to add one thing. I have hormonal break outs (but not during pregnancy--only menstrual) BUT I don't have PCOS or oily skin. I once read that it is monthly water retention that makes your skin look temporarily plump and beautiful and pores minimized...but that shortly after that time, that same water retention has caused pores to be blocked and then the bacteria accumulates and... you know the rest.

So, maybe "hormonal" monthly breakouts are simply a result of water retention and the very rapid spot development that occurs due to p.acnes inflammation creation. In this case, the person has no inflammation of their own. They had pores "swelled shut" due to water retention and then p.acnes causes inflammation, but nothing that the person is doing (re: diet, etc) causes initial inflammation.

In this case, the person needs to head off the water retention. I'm thinking of trying a mild diuretic (Midol or caffeine or something) next month, but I don't know when to take it, as the water retention happens earlier than the spots...maybe a week before my period??? Anybody care to comment on my theory (and recommend wrt diuretic timing)?

sidenote: At the same time, I am trying to avoid extracting/picking etc to retrain my immune system to handle break outs itself (antibody development). I believe that extracting prevents your body from learning to attack p.acnes colonies--or causes the body to attack every p.acnes (not allowing any cohabitation, causing more spots than necessary)..not sure which. I've also been nourishing my immune system w/white tea, rooibos and other herbal infusions, while eating well, etc. The last thing is SLEEP...something I don't get enough of and will be trying to address this as it seems to be a miracle cure for me, when i can get it.

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 05/29/2008 9:44 pm

Another study:

Hautarzt. 2008 May 18. [Epub ahead of print] Links

[Acne : Current pathophysiologic considerations.][Article in German]

Degitz K, Ochsendorf F.

Dermatologische Gemeinschaftspraxis, Pasinger Bahnhofsplatz1, 81241, MAnchen, Deutschland, [email protected].

Seborrhea, follicular hyperkeratosis, propionibacteria, and inflammatory reactions are the most important factors leading to acne. The combination of increased sebum producation and follicular hyperkeratosis facilitates an increased growth of Propionibacterium acnes. Its metabolic products lead to follicular inflammation and, in extreme cases, even to perifollicular abscesses. Sebum production is influenced by androgens, so that abnormalities in androgen levels can produce seborrhea and acne. Follicular hyperkeratosis may be triggered by a relative deficiency in linoleic acid, peroxides from sebum components, and especially by inflammatory mediators such as interleukin-1. Bacterial metabolic products such as lipases, proteases, or chemotactic factors lead to the perifollicular inflammation. This inflammation is not only a response to other pathogenetic factors, but also a cause of acne. An initial mild perifollicular infammation can induce comedogenesis via a variety of mediators. The influence of dietary factors on the initiation and course of acne has recently received increased recognition. A connection has been postulated between acne and a high nutrients with glycemic index, as well as with milk products. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1848818...Pubmed_RVDocSum

MemberMember
(@farmerjack)

Posted : 05/30/2008 8:05 pm

Hi people.

this has been bothering me for a while. i have a degree in microbiology but i still don't understand why this happens. when bacteria such as p. acne grows in a blocked follicle it causes a spot.

the bodies immune system will quickly detect these microbes and begin to attacked using white cells on many types (mainly macrophages) this causes inflamtion dues to chemicles released by the white cells. as time goes by puss occurs signalling death of the bacteria then healing and repair phase.

once we have been exposed once shouldn't our immune system destroy any p .acnes in the follicle before a spot forms? this would be true for any microbe that invades our body. antibodies would still linger in the body, macrophages would be more effective against the bacteria and memory cells would be made. so why are we still prone to them?

MemberMember
(@john1234)

Posted : 05/31/2008 9:27 pm

Hi people.

Here's your answer. Macrophages produce non-specific immune response. Meaning they don't have the role of identifying and producing antibodies against P.acne or any other pathogen. That's done by B cells and T cells and its called specific immune response. But unfortunately B cells and T cells don't play a role here (as far as we know).

MemberMember
(@farmerjack)

Posted : 06/01/2008 11:24 am

Hi people.

Here's your answer. Macrophages produce non-specific immune response. Meaning they don't have the role of identifying and producing antibodies against P.acne or any other pathogen. That's done by B cells and T cells and its called specific immune response. But unfortunately B cells and T cells don't play a role here (as far as we know).

MemberMember
(@sweetjade1980)

Posted : 06/01/2008 11:47 am

Then I take it back. What's the specific role of T cells in P.acne response and where can I read the related literature/studies?