Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
jsrogersro5

PLEASE READ - QUESTION ABOUT TANNING - PLEASE REPLY

I am going to be in Mexico in a little while and was wondering if I should go to a tanning bed before I get down there? I am fair skinned and burn easily. But if I needed to I could wear pretty heavy sunscreen down there and stay out of the sun as much as possible.

I have 1 or 2 active zits but pretty much all I have are red spots with a teeny bit of scarring.

Has anyone here gone to a tanning bed when they have red spots? Tanning when you have used BP recently? Please help me out here. I have heard things about sun making the red spots worse and making them stay longer. Has anyone in here tanned when they had some red spots? Let me know what happened..... please respond with anything you know, im desperate here!

try using a noncomedomic sun tan lotion. im in the same case as you (fair skinned, red marks and some acne) and tanning is the worst thing for you to do to those red marks (it raises the melanin causing even more discoloration) so hope that helps..

Tanning will blend in your skin color with the red marks, but beware, in a couple of weeks you can expect a breakout as your skin tries to repair itself.

-Dan

I used to go tanning all the time when I hade both active acne and red marks, and it never made my skin break like everyone says happens a few weeks later. If your fair skinned then I would say yes, you should go tanning before you go down there. Most of the people here seem to agree that tanning and acne is a bad combination, but I used to go all the time and it did nothing but help my skin. It blends in the red, and it helps bring new skin to the surface. I think maybe the reason why my skin never breaks out a few weeks later is because I exfoliate every day so the dead skin doesnt have a chance to sit on my face.

Yeah I'm much more worried about the red spots then about breaking out a little. You don't notice any increase in redness of the spots when you tan? Also, when the tan wears off and you start to get white again do the red spots look more red than before you tanned?

Thanks

no, i dont think they look worse, and when you tan a lot they seem to fade faster because your skin is renewing faster. youll be aight, go tanning

DONT EVEN THINK ABOUT GOING TO A SUNBED.....1 IT GIVES CANCER 2, ARE YOU OUT OF YOUR FUCKING MIND :D ? PLEASE DONT DO IT! I WENT AWAY B4 LAST YEAR, AND GOT THE BEST TAN IN THE WORLD, THOUGHT I WAS THE MAN, LOOKED AMAZING AND MY SKIN WAS GR8, LITTLE DID I KNOW THAT IN A COUPLE OF WEEKS ID HAVE THE WORST BREAKOUT OF MY LIFE HENCE MAKING ME COME TO THIS WEBSITE IN SEARCH OF ANSWERS! THE SUN IS FUCKEN EVIL! WEAR PROTECTION AND DONT BURN UR FACE! LET ME REMIND U, I DIDNT HAVE ACNE BAD ATALL, I HAD VERY MILD(NOONE ELSE NOTICED IT), I ACTUALLY ONLY GOT RID OF IT COMPLETELY THERE 5 MONTHS AGO. THE SUN WILL SCREW U UP! BE WARNED! AND PRE WARNED! JUST DONT DO IT MAN! BE CAREFUL! :D:D

I used to go tanning on and off all the damn time and ive never once had my skin break out when i quit going. Everyones skin is different though and maybe mine isnt caused by the same thing yours is so thats why the tanning only helps me.

Tanning is an all around bad idea unless you just want to look good in the short term. Specifically, I think it will make red marks look better because your skin will be blended in with them more. But when you stop tanning, most people will experience a breakout which will cause more red marks, and the cycle continues.

As far as sunbeds go, I think they are creepy as hell. Super-powered lightbulbs burning the skin. I wouldn't be surprised to hear that they do strange things to the epidermis that we don't even know about yet.

-Dan

Well I figure if I go down there all pale I'll burn pretty bad. So if I can get tanned up here before I go that seems like a safer way to me. I was mainly just curious if there is any truth to what some people have said about melanin in red marks coming up. I always figured the red marks were more from like capillaries or something like that. BUt some people have said that there is pigment in them that will tan much differently than the rest of your skin. I'm not sure what to think.

Dan have you yourself ever tried the desitin stuff? Just curious. Any thoughts on it?

I haven't tried the desiten, but I would like anyone who is trying it to please post a daily or weekly log of their progress.

About the tanning, why not just use sunscreen when you're in the sun?

I have to admit I laughed my ass off when I read that stuff you said about tanning bed being creepy and doing unknown things to your epidermis. Tanning lights just emit ultraviolet radiation which causes the skin to produce melanin. The light bulbs in the beds arent much differnt from any flourescent light. Flourescent lights just emit UVA and UVB rays...the same rays as the sun.

Ive tried the desiten a few times, but I only used it one night then didnt for a long time because I dont want my skin to break out because of it. I cant say if it helped or not, but I will keep you guys posted.

Ive determined that im the only person on this board that supports tanning, and I can somewhat understand why. I guess just because of the health risks associated with it. Yes there are risks, but there are similar risks every time you step outside your house without wearing sunscreen. All I can say is that ive seen the results for myself. Many people sit here and tell you how bad tanning is for you, without ever trying it themselves. Well I have tried it myself. It made my skin better. It didnt cause me to breakout. Thats what I observed in my personal experience.

Guest fatman_uk

Hey, ur not alone, i think tannings good too, sumtimes. It causes me to get more oily faced when the tan starts to fade which 70% of the time causes an few more zits. :oops:

But u do look COOL as hell with a tan, i wish i could jus have a tan implant or sumthin, LOL. :roll:

Also, after the tan went i still had old red marks, they hadn't faded like they normally would of, kinda like the tan put them in 'suspended animation' or sumthin... :?

-Gaz

Im bringing this Post back!!

I have great skin.. and over the summer.. I tan really easy and maintain a beautiful acne free face.. I would go to the beach alot. I went to the beach over thanksgiving weekend and I am somewhat tan again.. My face looks great.. my marks are fading (not blending in).. and I know this will not last all winter (because its damn cold now). So I was wondering...

Can a person with easy tanning (indian background) skin, go to the tanning bed here and there?

I was thinking about tanning for 15 minutes .. than immediatley afterwards.. taking a shower and doing my S.A regimen (which works great btw). So What do you yall think?

question .... will salon tanning produce break outs too?

i get breakout from sun tanning so i was wondering if it would be better to go to a salon instead..