Acne.org
Search In
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
NyamNyam

Effectiveness of Antidepressants

I've always had a lingering depression since I was about 17, but recently it seems to have become quite bad. I have lots of work to do and when I try to get my head in gear for working, I find it almost impossible. I often find myself just lying in my bed after I wake up, for a couple of hours and sometimes just retreating to my bed when I feel hopeless because I can't be productive.

The weird thing is, I don't understand the cause of my depression. Sure, acne gets me down a bit, but this is only minor to the way I feel now, my acne is only moderate/mild now anyway. I feel like I have to spend lots of time preparing myself to carry out the simplest of tasks, it's like I'm an ipod and my battery has finally died and I'm forced to buy a new one or get it repaired but then you realise that it's a rip off, so you don't bother buying a second one, except you can't do that with humans.

What I wanted to know is, basically, should I mention this to my GP sometime? I get really embarassed about these kinds of issues and I don't want to end up seeing a psychiatrist. I don't have the money nor do I believe it to be cost effective :P, plus, I don't think I'd be able to deal with opening up that much with someone face to face.

So, it's been three years of varying degrees of depression which I usually just shrug off but I think I'm finally willing to admit that there might be a problem. I wondered if antidepressants would help. I recently found out about the studies that show how placebos are as effective as antidepressants. Anybody that's been treated with antidepressants, could you give me some info on how effective you found them? Should I even bother considering them? I feel so embarassed, hey ho. Thanks.

P.s, I apologise for this not being strictly acne related but since depression and acne go hand in hand, there must be people here that can offer advice.

I'm from the UK and I told my GP who referred me to a psychiatrist, and it was free, so it should be free in the UK (it is in Wales at least)

I have different issues than you though (severe depression for no reason but it lasts only 2 weeks then goes away, then I'm fine)

I was also taking "black market" Codeine and Diazepam (at first to deal with it, but then just for fun) which tbh is the only reason he referred me to a psych.

If you tell him your problem he might just prescribe a course of SSRI's without reffering you to anyone.

I've never been on any anti-depressants so tbh I can't tell you how well they work.

Watch out for side effects too - some say that SSRI's can increase acne, others say they can help reducing acne (by reducing stress that might be causing acne :lol::lol: )

I'd go and tell him myself tbh, at worst it's only an hour or two wasted, but wait for someone more knowledgable than me to post in here first. It probably works different (i.e. costs more) in the USA etc.

Thanks for the info Codey. I just read up about a supplement called st johns wort and bought some. I hope this hasn't been linked to acne as well ¬_¬, I don't think I should mess around with the real drugs just yet.

It might be the incessant routine, lack of spontaneity, and lack of sunshine... that's what does it for me =[ I dread getting up each morning and going to do the same thing... all I do is sleep, go to school, come home, do homework, sleep again, etc. It's absolutely crushing. What helps me a lot is music. And playing Halo...who isn't happy to see Master Chief, eh? ;)

Lol! Last time I went on one of those, I had this massive spider above me which I had to rub my hair against to squeeze through. It was huge and disgusting, but fun.

Theme parks are awesome. Apart from this one time where I made the illogical decision to go on the water rides first.

Personally (and this is just me) I wouldn't recommend anti-depressants particularly. I've found that yoga and having good coping strategies (as well as understanding friends) helps more now with keeping it at bay. All anti-depressants really did for me was make me feel flat as opposed to sad, make the peaks and troughs in my moods more marked, although less frequent, and suppress my appetite. I could go a 24, maybe 36 hours without eating, and the only time I'd notice is when I fell over when I tried to get up. I lost about half a stone at one point, which was quite a lot for me as I'm only 8 and a half.

That's just my personal experience, though. For a lot of people, they can literally be a life-saver. If you think they might work for you, then maybe you should give them a try.

I'm sorry to hear your battle with depression and it is a battle. I have had bad acne, then scarring but most of all a lingering depression that crushed me since I was 12. I have been on many different antidepressants from the old tricyclic variety to the newest SSRI's and SNRI's. They work but I must warn you that the psychiatrists don't really know how they work on the human brain-no one really knows. It's through trial and error (or an educated guess) that they find a match and when they work they can really pull you out of the gutter. They do have side effects and some can be worse than the depression itself. I also don't believe that depression can be resolved through medication alone. You need an objective person to help you uncover and resolve whatever emotions have been blocked. Depression is really just a blanket over an emotional minefield. It is our way of coping by shutting off those feelings but we can't be selective so we have to shut everything off and we are left numb, empty, lonely, negative and worthless. My suggestion find some way to get counseling. Depression only gets worse with time because those neural pathways are reinforced through a negative perception of reality and soon the smallest stressful event can send you in a downward spiral. Counseling might be sufficient to deal with your depression or you might need medication in addition to counseling. It depends on the severity and duration of your symptoms. Here is a website to at least get you in the right direction http://www.nmha.org If you are feeling suicidal I strongly urge you to seek help immediately at a crisis center or psychiatric emergency services at your County hospital. Look at what is available in your county for sliding scale services for counselors. Talk to a trusted family member or friend so it is not a deep dark secret and maybe that person can support you to seek help.

Depression is nothing to be embarrassed about and it is not a sign of weakness to get help. I wouldn't be alive today if I had allowed my embarrassment to keep me from getting the treatment I needed. So the answer to your question is yes. Antidepressants are effective if you find the right one that works in the hands of a good psychiatrist.

I wish you the best for your journey in dealing with depression.

Raggamuffin,

I have tried almost every antidepressant (SSRI's & TCA's) for the past 7 years.......the only one that really worked (by saying "worked," I mean that it allowed me to partially function and get through the day) for me was Prozac @ 80mg and now I think my body has adjusted to this dose and my depression is setting in again. My GP told me that the 80 mg Prozac was the highest she was going and my next step would be to see a pyschiatrist (like I want to tell a stranger my innermost feeling/thoughts)......but she did but me on 350 mg of Wellbutrin with the Prozac to take daily (doesn't work either).....in my opinion all of these drugs suck or maybe I am so messed up that I need electric shock therapy!! But what I am trying to say, is that if I had known what I know now, I would never have started on any of these meds because now I feel that I could never go off of them even if I wanted to!! By the way.....I slept all day before I started the meds and after being on the meds, I really don't care whether I get up at all......just a little insight into the world of a drugged up major depressive person!!

:shock:

It's perfectly okay to post off topic discussions in here - this may be an acne site, but this is also a support site. Anything we can do to help, we're here to listen!

For the long run, wouldn't it be better to see a psychiatrist/psychologist/therapist? Though, I imagine it would be extremely painful at times to disclose your "innermost feelings" to another person. my (ex)therapist compared the process to opening up a wound. if the meds aren't working, might as well give it a go..

meta analysis studies have recently showed antidepressants suck immense balls.

I think it helps a lot of people, but the very nature of todays society is about convenience, while taking tablets are not the best answer, they are convenient, it means that we don't have to deal with the source of the problem.

i don't think its right that gps and doctors and willingly expect and promote the idea that various persons should take these medicines for the rest of their lives...

polka

Personally (and this is just me) I wouldn't recommend anti-depressants particularly. I've found that yoga and having good coping strategies (as well as understanding friends) helps more now with keeping it at bay. All anti-depressants really did for me was make me feel flat as opposed to sad, make the peaks and troughs in my moods more marked, although less frequent, and suppress my appetite. I could go a 24, maybe 36 hours without eating, and the only time I'd notice is when I fell over when I tried to get up. I lost about half a stone at one point, which was quite a lot for me as I'm only 8 and a half.

That's just my personal experience, though. For a lot of people, they can literally be a life-saver. If you think they might work for you, then maybe you should give them a try.